Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:59 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: We get to fight @@@@@@@@ and @@@@@@@? Shit is definitely about to get real in Shenmue III. :shock:

THE HYPE! THE FUCKING HYYPPEEEE!!!!!

You might wanna spoiler tag that
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:07 pm

This AI battling seems kinda like the new batman and sleeping dogs or it's just me ?

LIke the "rolling" that too human had but with more inbetween animations ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby johnvivant » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:20 pm

shredingskin wrote: This AI battling seems kinda like the new batman and sleeping dogs or it's just me ?

LIke the "rolling" that too human had but with more inbetween animations ?

lol, i was thinking the same thing. it seems to imply the battle system will be more advanced than mere QTE. maybe a mixture between batman, yakuza and battle QTE?

i wouldn't be surprised if suzuki has plans for something completely new thats never been done before.
'more cinematic' seems to imply its more QTE heavy than the previous games though.
Last edited by johnvivant on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bellator » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Thank you for this great interview. Good to hear the summon of the phoenix was something that was made entirely for shenmue online and not for the real shenmue story.

Plenty of useful info all over the interview.

Great job.
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:25 pm

Bellator wrote: Thank you for this great interview. Good to hear the summon of the phoenix was something that was made entirely for shenmue online and not for the real shenmue story.

Plenty of useful info all over the interview.

Great job.

i wonder if this means that the shenmue mythology scroll which also appears in that shenmue online video is also non-canonical?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby punkmanced » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:46 pm

johnvivant wrote:i wonder if this means that the shenmue mythology scroll which also appears in that shenmue online video is also non-canonical?

At this point, I think it’s safe to assume that nothing from Shenmue Online is regarded as canon anymore ;)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:47 pm

And also the ending of SII :P
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby DEVILLE_David » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:19 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
kuwakodono wrote: On a scale of 1-10, how spoilerific is the spoiler? (still haven't clicked on on it yet)

2/10

It's about the number and the name of the main bosses of the game. And we learnt nothing (as long as you followed the interviews at the E3). The today's Dualshocker interview releases the same info but did not use a spoiler on their side. I'm still grateful to David for having taken no risk for all the fans.

Now you know why I took my time and kept waiting for Yu Suzuki's approval before publishing anything.

I am not sure how DS handed their ITW, but in Japan, you have to show some respect and this time, I didn't feel like posting right away without getting the green light. I once screwed up with the Paypal release date and will do my best to never let something like that happen again.

When you're doing an interview, you always get info that you cannot publish and even tho that's the most rewarding part, it's also the most difficult one because you have to avoid posting spoilers.

I can't thank you all enough for your support and feedback, really appreciated. My goal was to provide new info and even tho I had to do it on my own, with my own budget, I have no regret, it was fantastic.

Next one should happen during Magic Monaco but many people will try to interview Yu Suzuki and I might not have as much time as I had in Japan.

I am waiting for Paypal's campaign to end and I'll probably ask the fans if they want to bring some questions to the table again, just like this time.

Thank you very much for reading the interview. That's by far, my best reward. ;-)

DEVILLE_David has received 5 thanks from: Amir, fittersau, James Brown, VukBZ2005, zema
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Switch » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:48 pm

Fantastic job on the interview, David. Thank you!

Interesting asking about whether the boat scene would be included in the flashback digest. It's sensible that it won't be as it wasn't seen originally and would use up resources to create. Even in one of the interview articles from 2001 Yu also said he didn't have any second thoughts about chopping out that chapter in order to make the game fit for the release.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby NeoShredder » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Switch wrote:Interesting asking about whether the boat scene would be included in the flashback digest. It's sensible that it won't be as it wasn't seen originally and would use up resources to create. Even in one of the interview articles from 2001 Yu also said he didn't have any second thoughts about chopping out that chapter in order to make the game fit for the release.

I don't feel as though anything's lost by it either. However I wonder (spoilers)

If Chai is supposed to return, surely this boat incident must be alluded to in some way? Or perhaps it'll be retconned? I mean, you speak to the woman and her child at the start of II about it.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Seems like YS wants to tackle so many new things:

- New battle system.
- Relationships between Ryo and Shenhua.
- New QTE system.
- Some kind of branching storylines (or at least momments) through the perspective system.
- Detail vs quantity (more SI-like).

I'm the only one that is a little worried he may get too carried away ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:08 pm

Awesome interview DEVILLE David! Thank-you so much for securing it and sharing it with all of us! :) I've tweeted it and posted it in the Kickstarter comments!

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:02 am

Bellator wrote: Thank you for this great interview. Good to hear the summon of the phoenix was something that was made entirely for shenmue online and not for the real shenmue story.

That does not mean anything for me, we can see this happen in another form or circumstance. Suzuki talked specifically of the confrontation between Shenhua and Lan Di.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:10 am

Thank you for this great interview David! It was definitely Worth the wait :mrgreen:

Lot of interesting questions & answers here. I don't understand why S3 team doesn't describe more and better each stretch goal we are pointing at, especially while the campaign is still ON.
The AI Battling or Ragdoll reaction are both appealing but have never been explained this well until your interview and the DS one... unless I've missed some info of course.

Knowing that Yu Suzuki plans to have Choubu area as big as Dobuita is good news too!

Once again, thank you for this interview (in 3 languages!) David :)

Kiske has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:38 am

If the OP has put something in a spoiler, the please discuss it using spoilers.

Thanks

Peter has received a thanks from: Himuro
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III