Shenmue 1 and 2 widescreen hacks Dreamcast

(Modding and other series related projects)

Re: Shenmue 1 and 2 widescreen hacks Dreamcast

Postby Radar » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:11 am

I'll try to summarize and explain the best I can :) how to use it on DEmul and NullDC using Cheat engine.

Cheat Engine Download: http://www.cheatengine.org/downloads.php

Prepare emulators: choose
In DEmul: Config->Video-> aspect ratio: 16:9
In NullDC: Options->PowerVR->aspect ratio->Stretch
Start your game.
In Cheat Engine open process with your emulator
Click "add address manually" and add address according to your game and emulator from list below,
also make sure that type is set to 4 bytes!!
DEmul:
Shenmue (PAL)
2C231EF8

Shenmue (US version)
2C230250

Shenmue Undub
2C231EF8

Shenmue 2 (EU version)
2C31186C

Shenmue 2 (JPN)
2C30D67C

What's Shenmue (JPN)
2C20BB68

NullDC:
Shenmue (PAL)
1C251EF8

Shenmue (US version)
1C250250

Shenmue Undub
1C251EF8

Shenmue 2 (EU version)
1C33186C

Shenmue 2 (JPN)
1C32D67C

What's Shenmue (JPN)
1C22BB68

Initial value should be "43A00000", if it's not - Right click on address and choose "show as hexademical"
Change value from "43A00000" to "43800000" enjoy your game :king: !

masterchan777 wrote: Here's a Cheat Engine file that may save you a bit of time when applying this fix with Demul. You can easily toggle between the default Letterbox (4:3) mode and Widescreen (16:9) mode by clicking on the value column of the related version.
This works with: What's Shenmue [JP], Shenmue [EU, US, JP], US Shenmue [JP], and Shenmue II [EU, JP].

Download the latest version of Cheat Engine from this link
Download Demul Cheat Engine file from this link
Check out the latest released build of Demul from this topic

masterchan777 wrote: This is a simple way that may save you time when applying this fix with NullDCCheater since Cheat Engine seems to be causing NullDC to crash for some reason on some machines.
You can easily toggle between the default Letterbox (4:3) mode and Widescreen (16:9) mode on the fly.
This works with: Beta Shenmue, What's Shenmue [JP], Shenmue [EU, US, JP], US Shenmue [JP], and Shenmue II [EU, JP].

You need to follow those steps to get things to work correctly:
  • Download this version of NullDCCheater from this link and extract it.
  • Rename NullDC executable to NullDC.exe, and run it.
  • Load a Shenmue disc and wait for the game to start.
  • Run NullDCCheater and it should recognise your Shenmue game. if the game wasn't automatically recognised then you have to manually choose the right version from the dropbox menu.
  • Select Widescreen or Letterbox mode.
  • Click the cheater activation button.

Check out the latest released build of NullDC from this topic

Note: You may need to install/update Visual Basic 6 controls if your system doesn't have them, the installation file (VisualBasic6-KB896559-v1-ENU.exe) is included within the extracted folder if needed.

Sappharad wrote: Shenmue 1 US: (Updated 2015-10-25)
02230250 43800000 (Original Code, best for VGA)
or
02230250 438E38E4 for equivalent to 720x480 (DVD resolution)
or
02230250 43700000 for equivalent to 854x480 (Actual 16x9)

Shenmue 2 EU: (Updated 2015-10-25)
0231186C 43800000 (Original Code, best for VGA)
or
0231186C 438E38E4 for equivalent to 720x480 (DVD resolution)
or
0231186C 43700000 for equivalent to 854x480 (Actual 16x9)

Radar has received 7 thanks from: Anthony817, Esppiral, Giorgio, lusan, ShenSun, Technophilz, Ziming
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby erojas388 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:35 am

How can i get this to work on my console? Is there a codebreaker iso i can download?
erojas388
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ziming » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:46 am

erojas388 wrote: How can i get this to work on my console? Is there a codebreaker iso i can download?

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... ootloader/

Ziming has received a thanks from: erojas388
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:04 am

Thanks for the instructions! I set the value correctly but it crashes NullDC when I am changing it. I am using the English Dub of Shenmue 2.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby masterchan777 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:26 am

Here's a Cheat Engine file that may save you a bit of time when applying this fix with Demul. You can easily toggle between the default Letterbox (4:3) mode and Widescreen (16:9) mode by clicking on the value column of the related version.
This works with: Beta Shenmue, What's Shenmue [JP], Shenmue [EU, US, JP], US Shenmue [JP], and Shenmue II [EU, JP].

Download the latest version of Cheat Engine from this link
Download Demul Cheat Engine file from this link
Check out the latest released build of Demul from this topic
Last edited by masterchan777 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

masterchan777 has received a thanks from: Radar
masterchan777
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Radar » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:39 am

Anthony817 wrote: Thanks for the instructions! I set the value correctly but it crashes NullDC when I am changing it. I am using the English Dub of Shenmue 2.

:-k Strange.. have you tried it in Demul? also does it also crash on original non modified Shenmue games?
upd: just tested this one https://mega.nz/#!HNETzDgQ!E_hoqpOIUNNX ... FBVKRNu7HQ
on different revisions and computers it's all works, no crashes :-k
masterchan777
cool! It's much more convenient, can you also add nullDC codes? than my method can be deleted.
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:05 am

Yep, crashes on Shenmue 1 regular unmodded game.

I never mess with Demul because it is not very user friendly compared to NullDC. I literally maybe have ever used it 1 or 2 times successfully. I guess I should probably just try it again.

Edit: Yeah that is my mirror I uploaded of the one for ODE's and Emulators.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Radar » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:32 am

I wish i knew why it crashes. completely fine on my side :-s does it also crashes for anyone else here?
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anthony817 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:57 am

Well I am even using the NullDC with Shenmue fixes, so I reckon it is the best version for the games. It sucks we have to use 2 different discs to boot codebreaker codes on backups with discs. You must first boot with the bootloader disc, then insert a cracked Codebreaker disc, enable codes, THEN finally put the 3rd disc in when you are ready to boot it, Ziming told me his GDEmu boots the iso of codebreaker fine, so if those of us that still use discs it is kind of a pain.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Radar » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:33 pm

ok. try to use NullDcCheater, here is instructions
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=47444
use codebreaker adress i.e this one "0231186C 43800000" for Shenmue II

Radar has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby masterchan777 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Radar wrote:
masterchan777
cool! It's much more convenient, can you also add nullDC codes? than my method can be deleted.

The file only works with Demul atm, had a quick look at NullDC and it seems to be crashing even with the nulldcCheater for some reason, will give it another look and report any findings.
masterchan777

Postby masterchan777 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:58 pm

This is a simple way that may save you time when applying this fix with NullDCCheater since Cheat Engine seems to be causing NullDC to crash for some reason on some machines.
You can easily toggle between the default Letterbox (4:3) mode and Widescreen (16:9) mode on the fly.

You need to follow those steps to get things to work correctly:
  • Download this version of NullDCCheater from this link and extract it.
  • Rename NullDC executable to NullDC.exe, and run it.
  • Load a Shenmue disc and wait for the game to start.
  • Run NullDCCheater and it should recognise your Shenmue game. if the game wasn't automatically recognised then you have to manually choose the right version from the dropbox menu.
  • Select Widescreen or Letterbox mode.
  • Click the cheater activation button.

Check out the latest released build of NullDC from this topic

Note: You may need to install/update Visual Basic 6 controls if your system doesn't have them, the installation file (VisualBasic6-KB896559-v1-ENU.exe) is included within the extracted folder if needed.

masterchan777 has received 3 thanks from: Anthony817, Esppiral, Giorgio
masterchan777

Postby Sappharad » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Small update... The original widescreen codes actually added twice as much width to the screen as they should have. You may have noticed this in the screenshots on the first page, Ryo was thinner than he should have been. Here are the corrected codes:

Shenmue 1 US: (Updated 2015-10-25)
02230250 438E38E4

0231186C 438E38E4

This is the exact width it should be if you're going from 640x480 to 720x480 and want to maintain the same aspect ratio. Only change is the value part of the code, which is controlling the width. This helps reduce pop-in even further, since you have less extra area to notice it. :-)

16x9 is only 12.5% wider than 4x3. The code was crushing the horizontal display by 25%. The new code crushes it by 12.5% instead. This was my fault for eyeballing it, I hadn't bothered to convert the hex numbers to floating point to see what they were.

Sappharad has received 4 thanks from: Anthony817, Esppiral, johnvivant, Yokosuka
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Why actually 720x480? Does is have something to do with the correct streching ratio when you use this on TVs? Because 480p with proper 16:9 aspect ratio actually has a resolution of 854x480.

I finally got around to try it earlier today. I played Shenmue II and I got it to freeze during the cutscene with Ren and his gang at Pigeon Park on one of the camera angle changes. Something strange going on there. The little bag of money or whatever that Sam and Larry throw and catch was missing.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Sappharad wrote: Small update... The original widescreen codes actually added twice as much width to the screen as they should have. You may have noticed this in the screenshots on the first page, Ryo was thinner than he should have been. Here are the corrected codes:

Shenmue 1 US: (Updated 2015-10-25)
02230250 438E38E4

0231186C 438E38E4

This is the exact width it should be if you're going from 640x480 to 720x480 and want to maintain the same aspect ratio. Only change is the value part of the code, which is controlling the width. This helps reduce pop-in even further, since you have less extra area to notice it. :-)

16x9 is only 12.5% wider than 4x3. The code was crushing the horizontal display by 25%. The new code crushes it by 12.5% instead. This was my fault for eyeballing it, I hadn't bothered to convert the hex numbers to floating point to see what they were.

do you know what the correct Shenmue 1 PAL code would be?

do i just need to change the second line of code to 438E38E4 instead of 43800000?

@bluemue
i will do a full playthrough with these codes at some point, so i'll find out if there are any bugs.

p.s. i'm a bit unsure about the new codes, it seems a bit too fat, but i can't really be sure. the side pop-in is almost completely gone, so its a good option for people who find it too distracting with the other code. a nice compromise as it were.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Community Projects