Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise sexy girls

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 can't promise 60fps but can promise sexy girls

Postby SMDzero » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Honestly some games don't even need to be 60fps. With the exception of racing and fighting games a rock solid 30 is perfectly fine.

Some would argue that some games are better served with 30fps just like film is better served at 24fps.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby SMDzero » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Honestly some games don't even need to be 60fps. With the exception of racing and fighting games a rock solid 30 is perfectly fine.

Some would argue that some games are better served with 30fps just like film is better served at 24fps.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:21 am

I actually am an advocate of better gender representation in games. (Don't eat me.) But y'know... Yu Suzuki is nearly 60 years old, and is very, very out of touch with current industry trends and thinking (by his own admission, so that's not me disrespecting him.)

This is demonstrated by his description of the "A.I. fighting" system which, really, is just industry standard fare. Context sensitive attacks. Hardly revolutionary, but from his point of view it seems groundbreaking and different. I don't think we can or should really expect progressive thinking from the guy.

None of that diminishes my respect for him as a game designer, or my belief than he will make a great Shenmue experience for all of us to enjoy.

Now I'm sure I'm gonna get some flak for this post, which is fine. I stand by my opinion and won't be arguing with anyone about it.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Three Blades » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:37 am

Can not wait for the jealous, fat landwhales to cry in outrage upon witnessing the superior females of the Shenmue series :D it truly is sad that the presence of sexy females can even be considered a bad thing by some :| I'm proud of Yu Suzuki for refusing to castrate himself (and his games) to appease some insane women.
...however, I must admit that the lack of 60fps is unfortunate. But it's a fair trade off. Sexualized females = the best kind of females. No PC horsesh*t in Shenmue.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:12 am

Anonymous81 wrote: I actually am an advocate of better gender representation in games. (Don't eat me.) But y'know... Yu Suzuki is nearly 60 years old, and is very, very out of touch with current industry trends and thinking (by his own admission, so that's not me disrespecting him.)

What trend ? To clickbait ? The same people that won't give a shit about Xiuying being the most intelligent/powerful character in SII, are the ones that will complain about joy's tits. It's not about representation it's about polarizing the market so they can get constant revenue.

Different characters have different attributes, some people just like to stir shit because it will sell, and there will be money in getting the sheeple caught (in a marketing sense).

I would want to know what happens in the mind of those writers (rewriters actually). Do they think they're doing a good job (they got the important info on the title?), they think they're just doing what they can to grab clicks ?, they're cynic bastards that just care about creating controversy ?

I don't fucking know.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:32 am

I have said all I wish to or will say on the subject. Carry on.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:35 am

shredingskin wrote:I would want to know what happens in the mind of those writers (rewriters actually). Do they think they're doing a good job (they got the important info on the title?), they think they're just doing what they can to grab clicks ?, they're cynic bastards that just care about creating controversy ?

I don't fucking know.

Maybe it's just their editorial line, and they are just doing their job (occam's razor ?).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Three Blades » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:20 am

What trend ? To clickbait ?

Why, of course, that is the trend of modern developers who censor/pussify their games, to make sure that disfunctional females (and their castrated male pets) won't be offended.
A few years ago, I would have told you that the Jack-Thompson-inspired bullshit was long dead and buried; sadly, I would have wrong. Evidently, the western gaming industry is being controlled by prudes and eunuchs. I'm glad Yu Suzuki is having none of it.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:45 am

Anonymous81 wrote: I actually am an advocate of better gender representation in games. (Don't eat me.) But y'know... Yu Suzuki is nearly 60 years old, and is very, very out of touch with current industry trends and thinking (by his own admission, so that's not me disrespecting him.)

I’m strictly for respecting the author’s vision, whatever it may be.
Self-censorship kills creativity, IMO.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LucBu » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:45 am

Anonymous81 wrote: I have said all I wish to or will say on the subject. Carry on.

Hey, you mind me asking you a question? It's completely fine if you don't, given that you have said all that you wanted on the subject but I'm just curious.

Do you feel Shenmue so far did have bad representation of the fairer sex? Personally I feel there's a good range in Shenmue. I mean the women are all different from each other. The only one that might possibly be a danger so far is Joy, but it's not impossible to imagine the daughter of a well to do business empire get involved with the wrong crowd. Everything about her, from her scant clothing to her over the top dyed hair, screams a desire to make an impression. I also think that some women are like that, not every one of course, but some may be. Teenagers especially can be.

What are your thoughts on Shenmue's depiction of women so far? (It's hard to talk about this new ChiYouMen leader since we haven't really seen her yet properly) But only if you don't mind me asking, of course.

Also, every time I see your avatar I want to play Skies of Arcadia again.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:54 am

Three Blades wrote:Why, of course, that is the trend of modern developers who censor/pussify their games, to make sure that disfunctional females (and their castrated male pets) won't be offended.

You think that game development is about not being pc or offend people ?

You make stuff, some people like it, some people don't.

Yu Suzuki is making a game about overcoming revenge and the value of friends.

What you are talking is shock "art".
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Three Blades » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:59 am

"You think that game development is about not being pc or offend people ?"

No, of course not.
It's just that nowadays, developers go out of their way to censor themselves, even when nothing warrants censorship. People nowadays are offended at everything, even a beautiful woman's body.

Three Blades has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:04 am

Three Blades wrote: "You think that game development is about not being pc or offend people ?"

No, of course not.
It's just that nowadays, developers go out of their way to censor themselves, even when nothing warrants censorship. People nowadays are offended at everything, even a beautiful woman's body.

^^THIS
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:05 am

Not really, Kojima has always done sexual innuendos. And one of the bigger characters in his new game was Quiet.

People that actually care about what they're making don't give much of a shit.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:10 am

Shenmue in particular is full of strong female characters. Nozomi, Joy, Fengmei, Niao Sun Xiuying and Shenhua.. there's hardly a guy to be seen in many cases lol.

Shenhua in particular is so central to the core story of Shenmue and she exemplified a grace and purity that you simply couldn't have in a male character.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III