Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:47 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:
Himuro wrote: right. we heard this talk around E3 when S3 was announced. still nothing.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time an official from Sega mentioned that the company is interested in re-releasing the original games.

"We'll do better this time! Really!" is Sega's M.O.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiske » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:48 pm

johnvivant wrote: are we to assume that the part which says 'Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles' was given off-the-record, because its not a direct quote.

That could be.
Or could it be that the journalist from marketing week wasn't allowed to quote "exact terms" used by Jon Rooke?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:59 pm

This page has the full text of this article, and the bit about SEGA looking into ways of re-releasing Shenmue 1 & 2 is missing.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Kiske » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Giorgio wrote: This page has the full text of this article, and the bit about SEGA looking into ways of re-releasing Shenmue 1 & 2 is missing.

Not to mention the misleading part of the article where... "Listening to fans remains key to Sega’s strategy. For years hardcore gamers have called for Sega to release a third title in the Dreamcast’s Shenmue series, which is set around a teenage martial arts expert in rural China.

But for years their pleas were repeatedly ignored
until earlier this year when Sega unexpectedly announced a $2m kickstarter campaign in order to get Shenmue 3 finally made. The hugely popular campaign ultimately raised over $6m and became the sixth most funded campaign in the crowdfunding website’s history.”

That said, if mjq jazz bar could tell us if the quoted bit in his first post was actually from the original marketing week article, that could mean that they had to remove this part from the article... for some reason.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiske » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:27 pm

According to @SSF1991 Twitter account, the part about Shenmue 1 & 2 re-release IS FAKE. :roll:

https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/658780955117789184
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:16 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: mjq jazz bar, are you registered on the site? Did you get those paragraphs directly from there, or from somewhere/somebody else?

Yeah, this is where the "news" comes from. The poster seemed reputable enough at the time.

He's still claiming the article said it earlier and that the line was removed, for what it's worth.

http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3804.0
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:44 pm

LucBu wrote: They know what they're good at. Where's our Streets of Rage, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue HD etc etc?

Yea I agree sigh, the fact they are always trying to reinvent the god damn when, with every iteration of a franchise, inst of running with a good idea, whaen they actually come up with such once in a bloody full moon, is pure proof Sega doesn't know what they are good at.

Some companies can do the innovation thing, ATLUS, NIS, Nintendo, Bandai, and whatnot, but Sega most definitely can't, not amymore anyway.

When Sega actually ends up forming a thought for once, that actually has merit, they need to stick with it, and refine such, not change it up again the first chance they can.

To Topic: Atleast someone at Sega seems to be realizing, try to make that runaway success of a mobile game, is nothing but a fools errand.

As for them implying Sega is trying to figure away how to rerelease Shenmue 1, and 2, I call BS. What all of a sudden Sega doesn't know how to port they games, what a kload of crap, they probally made more ports of their games then Capcom, and Square combined, yet now they are playing dumb.

If it has to do with lic liko Zippo, and Timex, if must, you can always rerelease the games without using them as brands(do you remember the Tomato store, literally everything is Sega branded in there, so I don't see the big deal).

To Himuro : Yea, this talk the talk, but not walk the walk thing, is definitely Sega's MO. They said they know they need to do better, and care more about western releasing, including releasing their games outside of Japan in general. That confession of Sega being a utter POS, that means nothing outside of Japan(seriously, if Sega went out of business at this point, no one outside of Japan would even notice, that's how meaningless they are) was made before E3 even happened, however they have yet to announce any new releases for the non-Japanese market.

Hell, Sega wasn't even at E3, so yea I seriously don't see Sega changing their ways at all.

Zoltor has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Kiske wrote: According to @SSF1991 Twitter account, the part about Shenmue 1 & 2 re-release IS FAKE. :roll:

https://twitter.com/SSF1991/status/658780955117789184

It's disappointing that Marketing Week seems to have fabricated the whole Shenmue 1 and 2 HD quote. A real shame, I've never read anything from Marketing Week before but I still thought that they might be above the usual click-baiting and misleading articles that pass for 'legitimate' news in the gaming media today.

Regardless, the gist of this article is an honest effort by Sega of Europe (who now control all Sega's operations in the West) to elaborate on similar positive statement about the future that where made earlier in the year. Which adds furthers credibility to Sega's efforts at improving the company's standing amongst gamers. After all, this past decade Sega of Europe has been perhaps the most consistent division within Sega. High quality titles like the Total War franchises, Football Manager, and the hugely successful Sonic Dash on mobile platforms, have done much to secure Sega's future.

Sega of Europe's statement bodes extremely well for all Sega fans; where we will see more high quality games, in addition to the many that Sega of Europe already creates. Plus, there's every possibility that Sega of Europe will continue to encourage more licenced Shenmue merchandise in PAL regions in the months and years ahead. Let's not forget that Data Discs, the company licenced to make the new Shenmue vinyl OST, is based in London. High quality merchandise such as this, is just as important to the survival of the Shenmue franchise as any HD version of the games and I'm glad Sega of Europe is making the effort to help keep Shenmue in the public eye.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:59 pm

Don't believe anything until there's an official announcement. Shenmue 1 & 2 HD is big enough for its own announcement, not some side comment.

fittersau has received 2 thanks from: punkmanced, VukBZ2005
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Monkei » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:58 am

Kiske wrote:Not to mention the misleading part of the article where... "Listening to fans remains key to Sega’s strategy. For years hardcore gamers have called for Sega to release a third title in the Dreamcast’s Shenmue series, which is set around a teenage martial arts expert in rural China.

until earlier this year when Sega unexpectedly announced a $2m kickstarter campaign in order to get Shenmue 3 finally made. The hugely popular campaign ultimately raised over $6m and became the sixth most funded campaign in the crowdfunding website’s history.”

What the hell? This is bullshit.

But you know what? I think it's a good thing we haven't heard anybody say anything about Shenmue HD. It could mean that Sony is deliberately keeping quiet about it and working on another surprise announcement behind the scenes. Could also be wishful thinking of course, but I don't think it's too unlikely.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Zoltor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:19 am

Monkei wrote:
Kiske wrote:Not to mention the misleading part of the article where... "Listening to fans remains key to Sega’s strategy. For years hardcore gamers have called for Sega to release a third title in the Dreamcast’s Shenmue series, which is set around a teenage martial arts expert in rural China.

What the hell? This is bullshit.

But you know what? I think it's a good thing we haven't heard anybody say anything about Shenmue HD. It could mean that Sony is deliberately keeping quiet about it and working on another surprise announcement behind the scenes. Could also be wishful thinking of course, but I don't think it's too unlikely.

Yea WTF is that crap, Sega Isn't releasing a damn thing, nor are they helping with the development of such in any way, shape or form.

To give Sega credit/claim credit on Sega's behalf for what Isn't rightfully theirs, is nothing short of a scumbag thing to do.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:34 am

Monkei wrote:What the hell? This is bullshit.

I think that this description of the Kickstarter campaign is another rhetorical flourish on the part of Marketing Week; when they only glanced at the campaign surrounding Shenmue 3, without bothering to notice all the finer details which have made this awesome game possible. What we have here is ultimately a poorly researched article, certain to cause more trouble, just like every article that mentions Shenmue lately. The state of today's media is truly appalling, when they'd rather incite pointless bickering and baseless doubt, instead of reporting the plain truth.

Still, I agree that there's every chance that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD could be one the way. Marketing Week may not have gotten the scoop but there are plenty of other opportunities between now and the eventual launch of Shenmue 3. Heck, Sony's conference at the Paris Games Week is set to start in just a few hours’ time. I'll personally be watching the stream to see if a representative from Sega makes an appearance on stage. If anything we might see a new Valkyria Chronicles announcement (this ‘Valkyria of the Blue Revolution’ that was recently trademarked) but a nod to Shenmue is always welcome.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Monkei
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:10 am

SEGA isn't exactly winning any love from older fans of their IPs these days, that much is true.

Still, I don't share everyone's overt (apparent) loathing of them. They could have simply sat on the IP forever. Instead, they are allowing Yu to run with it, no matter how it ends up reflecting upon them and the franchise. Arguably a risk on their part. And they aren't even asking for any oversight or (that we know of) licensing fees, or a percentage of profits.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Kiske » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:45 am

Neogaf user @Endless posted a screen capture of the actual article from Marketing Week (was able to access it again) and apparently, the line about re-release of Shenmue 1 & 2 is there:

Neogaf thread source --> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=165

Note that the part about the Kickstarter campaign is now correct.

PS. I registered myself and I can confirm the line is there (Did a printscreen too).

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, Monkei, Telekill
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:44 am

Some slight cause for hope!
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte