Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

Postby rigo8582 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Outside of Shenmue HD, I would like Skies of Arcadia HD. I never got around to playing it on Dreamcast or Gamecube. Yeah I could play it on emulator but I would prefer a remaster on a current gen console.
rigo8582
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: qbanb8582
XBL: rigo8582
Steam: rigo8582
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Mr357 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:46 pm

rigo8582 wrote: Outside of Shenmue HD, I would like Skies of Arcadia HD. I never got around to playing it on Dreamcast or Gamecube. Yeah I could play it on emulator but I would prefer a remaster on a current gen console.

If you do end up having to play it on one of the original systems or an emu, I recommend the Gamecube version. The frequency of random battles in the Dreamcast version can be extremely frustrating at times.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Mr357 wrote:
rigo8582 wrote: Outside of Shenmue HD, I would like Skies of Arcadia HD. I never got around to playing it on Dreamcast or Gamecube. Yeah I could play it on emulator but I would prefer a remaster on a current gen console.

If you do end up having to play it on one of the original systems or an emu, I recommend the Gamecube version. The frequency of random battles in the Dreamcast version can be extremely frustrating at times.

I heard there are some additional contents too.
The only drawback of the Gamecube version is the audio with less quality.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kintor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Well, Sony's Paris conference has just ended; I found it to a mixed bag honestly. The first hour was kind of slow but the conference picked up towards the end when Sony finally got around to some big announcement. PlayStation VR holds great promise, it's just a pity that no footage of Tekken 7 VR was shown. Quantic Dreams is no longer a mere tech demo but instead a full-fledged game called Detroit: Become Human.

But all that's beside the point; because Sega didn't have a presence at this conference. No mention of Shenmue today, alas. In retrospect not surprising, after watching the conference I got the impression that no publisher outside of Sony could decide whether to take the Paris conference seriously or not. Perhaps next year a few more publishers might bring their A game to the conference but for now Paris is pretty much a fizzer, barely worth the time spent to watch the conference.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Monkei
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Monkei » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:16 pm

^ Agreed.

Quantic Dreams is the name of the development team by the way! Don't know what that tech demo was called back then.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Quantic Dream are the developer of Omikron: The Nomad Soul (a game I loved back on Dreamcast,) Indigo Prophecy (known as Fahrenheit outside the U.S.,) and Heavy Rain. :) They make very unique interactive experiences which are sort of Shenmue-ish only in the sense that you either love them or hate them lol.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Mr357
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:43 pm

There were so much Science-Fi games during this conference, this is good news, Shenmue 3 will emerge more unique this way. :twisted:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:29 am

Hey guys,

In order to give you a thorough understanding of yesterday discussion I had with Thomas Hobbs, here's the end of our "chat" on Twitter:

@thobbsjourno @segafans Thanks for the answer. Hopefully you read correctly between the lines in the Shenmue related part of your interview!

@KosiCosa I'm confused. Nothing changed. It is a marketing publication so Shenmue info was paraphrased/not 100% quoted. Hope that clarifies?

He sent me another tweet but apparently deleted it in the meantime.
I still have it on my Twitter iPhone app though.
@KosiCosa I'm just as excited they are 'exploring ways' for a HD remake. About bloody time!

@thobbsjourno You're a Shenmue fan too I guess? If so, YES, I understand your excitement! Thanks again for your kind replies! #SaveShenmueHD

He did retweet the message above, so I take it as a YES to my question :D

Kiske has received a thanks from: Telekill
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby fittersau » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:41 am

Yokosuka wrote: There were so much Science-Fi games during this conference, this is good news, Shenmue 3 will emerge more unique this way. :twisted:

Sci-Fi or Caveman seems to be the theme. lol
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:46 am

Kiske wrote:
@thobbsjourno You're a Shenmue fan too I guess? If so, YES, I understand your excitement! Thanks again for your kind replies! #SaveShenmueHD

He did retweet the message above, so I take it as a YES to my question :D

Good questioning.. but I take it as he genuinely is a Shenmue fan and he also is excited as us to the possibility of a Shenmue 1 & 2 HD remake. Remember SEGA Europe are a satellite of SEGA Japan, EU don't get to create any product themselves only redistribute.

A few weeks ago they were just as happy as SEGA JP on the anniversary of the Dreamcast.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:47 am

Monkei wrote: Sony's Paris Games Week Conference is starting right now. Shenmue HD? :D Probably not. But I'm excited.

What's the earliest big convention next year? GDC? Maybe we'll hear something there or they'll keep it for E3 again in July.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:03 am

fittersau wrote:
Monkei wrote: Sony's Paris Games Week Conference is starting right now. Shenmue HD? :D Probably not. But I'm excited.

What's the earliest big convention next year? GDC? Maybe we'll hear something there or they'll keep it for E3 again in July.

If we don't hear anything as late as E3 next year, I give Shenmue 1, & 2 a 0% chance of happening, until a couple of years after the release of Shenmue 3.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:29 am

I would say a release of HD remakes post September 2017 would be the dumbest move ever on the part of Sega. At least a release a few months before the release of Shenmue 3 would lead to increasedsales of both HD remakes and also Shenmue 3 itself, which in turn, greatly increases the chance of Shenmue 4.

There's plenty if time for any rereleases to come.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Anonymous81 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:49 am

I still fear Shenmue 1 & 2 re-releases will hurt Shenmue 3's sales more than help it if released prior to S3. Hope I'm wrong.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Kiske » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:50 am

Peter wrote: I would say a release of HD remakes post September 2017 would be the dumbest move ever on the part of Sega. At least a release a few months before the release of Shenmue 3 would lead to increasedsales of both HD remakes and also Shenmue 3 itself, which in turn, greatly increases the chance of Shenmue 4.

There's plenty if time for any rereleases to come.

If there's going to be a release of HD remakes, I'm sure this will happen before end of 2017.
Mostly for the reasons you gave in your post. Releasing them after Shenmue 3 would be a nonsense.
The perfect time for HD remakes would be in my opinion (IF Shenmue 3 make it for a 2017 last quarter release) end 2016 or spring 2017. Would be a smart move to improve (if possible) controls of Shenmue 1 & 2 so they match as best as possible the controls in Shenmue 3.

We may consider Monaco Magic next february a suitable convention for anything related to Shenmue, HD remakes included, but next E3 would be most likely THE place to announce them.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III