Kickstarter Update #47

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #47

Postby ys » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:46 pm

I guess that they'll manage. He has some experienced people there and hired new ones who know C++ (works with Unreal Engine 4) as well as higher level languages. Also, Yu himself will likely not have huge problems since I read before that he sometimes codes a few things to "keep in shape". I get the feeling that he is competent enough.

YS : There was also one more problem: dedicated 3D processors didn’t exist yet, and so I had to manually write a 3D graphics engine that would compress and process things faster. Just using assembly language. Now, of course, everyone writes in C++, but back then there was no other choice than machine code, otherwise we wouldn't be able to make everything fast enough.

YS : From my personal standpoint, though, I don't have much need to write final production code any longer; instead I can concentrate on logic and algorithms and other things like that. As a result, I never feel constrained by changes in language.

ys has received 3 thanks from: Mr357, PacemaŜinobo, Sh3ppy
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby fittersau » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:49 pm

While our own expectations may be hard to meet, lets all be glad Shenmue 3 is finally being made. :D

In Yu we Trust. :mrgreen:
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby NeoShredder » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:36 pm

I really want to wait until the game is out, but (spoilers)

I can't wait to see what Lan Di is gonna look like...I ain't never seen such a Hi-Def cold stare man
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Jibby » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:04 pm

NeoShredder wrote: I really want to wait until the game is out, but (spoilers)

I can't wait to see what Lan Di is gonna look like...I ain't never seen such a Hi-Def cold stare man

Lan (H)Di

Jibby has received 3 thanks from: Mr357, NeoShredder, Yokosuka
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:56 am

The latest update has me so hyped for this game and they're only three months into development! I hope they find some more funding after the PayPal ends, but even if they don't, YSNet is doing an amazing job with the budget they currently have
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Mark James G » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:49 am

Mark James G wrote:

The jacket will probably be toned down abit but it is obvious that they're still experimenting with the lighting. They're also not utilizing any Post Processing at the moment and if they are it's only for a slight color node but I don't think they're using any in the second and fourth screenshot. I think it goes without saying that this will change and right now they're experimenting with an engine that they probably never used before so it takes abit of time and energy to figure these large frameworks out.

LucBu wrote:Hey, welcome. So in your personal opinion, do you think there's plenty of time for Yu and his team to master Unreal and learn to use it to its fullest (or at least to a high degree of proficiency) before Shenmue 3 releases? I know Yu has been out of the loop a while, and I don't think refusing to play modern games helps that, but, I'm curious to ask, from someone who has experience in UE, how realistic it would be for Yu and his team to catch up fairly quickly? What do you think?

Thank you for the welcoming! Oh of course! It took me about a full year to learn everything and that was me going in with very little game development experience. Team Yu will be able to figure it out quite easily i'm sure. Even if it takes a year to learn the minute details it will still leave them with plenty of time for polish and effort.

If I had 6 months, a full animation set and the 3d models necessary and a few level designer's I could probably re-create Shenmue 1's systems entirely from the cutscenes (Minus the voice acting and lip syncing), to a combat system to the general movement and transitions in Unreal Engine 4.

Working with C++ in UE4 is great. Typically with alot of Engines you end up with some sort of... well, a high level language but a minor scripting language at that without the ability to use pointers. I won't turn this into a programming lesson but let me just say that pointers is why C++ is still around after all these years which makes everything pretty easy!

It's true Yu Suzuki has been out of the modern game market for a while... but Shenmue wasn't really like any other game was it? That could've been why it did so poorly but it was easily the best to me. Mixing RPG elements into a fighting game while taking HUGE risks on an emphasis of building an atmospheric environment (Not just the levels but the NPC's) while giving you a variety of options on how you wanted to perform. Shenmue was way ahead of it's time by a decade at least. I don't know the specifics but if I had to speculate i'd say the budget went over originally because of the technology switches from the Saturn to the Dreamcast, the re-creation of thousands of textures and hundreds of models and easily thousands of lines of code. People seem to forget that building an engine (A stable one anyways) takes years to do and is easily one of the hardest type of frameworks to make that requires huge teams.

So what is my point? If I could do this then Team Yu should have no problem. I wouldn't worry about it at all... plus we're all forgetting one important fact here. IT'S SHENMUE 3!!!

Mark James G
Asia Travel Representative

Postby 7heavens » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:13 am

Thanks so much for the information. Its good to have someone who knows what their talking about.

You Suzuki said that he chose unreal engine 4 because he like the colours it used. What does he mean by this?

What's unique about ue4's use of colours thats different to other engines?
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Mark James G » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:49 am

7heavens wrote: Thanks so much for the information. Its good to have someone who knows what their talking about.

You Suzuki said that he chose unreal engine 4 because he like the colours it used. What does he mean by this?

What's unique about ue4's use of colours thats different to other engines?

He was probably talking about the rendering. If I had to guess as to why he chose UE4's engine to something like CryEngine or... what used to be kind of popular; Ogre3D? It's probably because of the versatility behind UE4 and the ease of manipulation behind it.

UE4 isn't necessarily unique in how it handles lighting as far as I am aware but it certainly has a more streamlined process in lighting something the way you'd want quickly and efficiently. I've seen anime style games made in UE4 along with ultra realistic type of games. It offers a wide range of possibilities depending on how talented the artist working on it are, but again, i'm not entirely sure if that is unique to UE4 or not. However that aside I can say that the efficiency and speed to make these things comes quickly with UE4.

Just make sure you've got at least 16 GB of ram and a decent CPU if you want to bake the lighting... otherwise prepare to sit there for days!
Mark James G

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:53 am

Very few projects made on CryEngine survive. On the other hand Unreal Engine has a great record.

Mass Effect 1 is an example of a great open world RPG powered by UE3.

As I said previously, I'm on the fence, if after one year we are still getting UE stock models and Ryo still looks horrible then yes, I will join the Darkside.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby punkmanced » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:39 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
As I said previously, I'm on the fence, if after one year we are still getting UE stock models and Ryo still looks horrible then yes, I will join the Darkside.

Well, Famitsu Ryo already looked much better than E3 Ryo.
This recent “Test shot” Ryo was announced in the update as already being outdated.

The only thing that can be gleaned from SIII Ryo is that he’ll probably be made to look a bit younger than what we’re used to.

I’ll also reserve judgment for later; right now, I’m just happy they killed off/buried that disaster of an E3 model.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby fittersau » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:26 am

Mark James G wrote:If I had 6 months, a full animation set and the 3d models necessary and a few level designer's I could probably re-create Shenmue 1's systems entirely from the cutscenes (Minus the voice acting and lip syncing), to a combat system to the general movement and transitions in Unreal Engine 4.

Do you know many people do it took, how long to make the Infiltrator cinematic? Some serious work there.. but an amazing result. To think Shenmue 3 is made with the same tech is very reassuring.

Mark James G wrote:So what is my point? If I could do this then Team Yu should have no problem. I wouldn't worry about it at all... plus we're all forgetting one important fact here. IT'S SHENMUE 3!!!

I know right! \:D/
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mark James G » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:00 am

fittersau wrote:
Mark James G wrote:If I had 6 months, a full animation set and the 3d models necessary and a few level designer's I could probably re-create Shenmue 1's systems entirely from the cutscenes (Minus the voice acting and lip syncing), to a combat system to the general movement and transitions in Unreal Engine 4.

Do you know many people do it took, how long to make the Infiltrator cinematic? Some serious work there.. but an amazing result. To think Shenmue 3 is made with the same tech is very reassuring.

Mark James G wrote:So what is my point? If I could do this then Team Yu should have no problem. I wouldn't worry about it at all... plus we're all forgetting one important fact here. IT'S SHENMUE 3!!!

I know right! \:D/

I'm sorry I don't know the answer for the Infiltrator cinematic question... but if you'd like to read on i'll explain a little bit about the process.

I know the same result could be achieved by at least 5 people. You'd need at least one director and four artists. 2 for particle effects who can work on textures and level design, 2 for character modeling and animations (And rigging) -- assuming both people are together and can make use of two or more kinect cameras for motion capture data and lastly a camera manager / director to over see the matinee cycles. From there you could record it and throw it in something like Adobe Premier or Vegas to give it anything extra that you might want.

Edit: But I can assure you that the Infiltrator Cinematic was done much more professionally and more then 5 people had contributed to it. After all, they were going to present it to the GDC.

Is it easy to do? No way! But if a team of people are dedicated enough then really anything can be done it just depends on how much time you've got and how much you're willing to put into it but I think that could be said about anything really.

Mark James G has received a thanks from: fittersau
Mark James G

Postby LucBu » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks for the information, Mark James G. We'll need your expertise in the months to come, basically whenever there's an existentialist communitarian crisis regarding UE. ;)
LucBu

Postby Peter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:24 pm

Welcome to the forums Mark! Your posts are a very interesting read! Stuck around bud.

Peter has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Ziming » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm

Anyone think Lan Di's character model in Shenmue 3 will be as detailed as the new F4F statue?
Can Unreal 4 achieve this?

Ziming has received a thanks from: Kiske
Ziming
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III