Star Wars Fan Game.

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Star Wars Fan Game.

Postby Mark James G » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:21 pm

Hey Community,

So i'm still relatively new here and I thought i'd introduce myself this way. I like to Develop games for fun which includes both 2d and 3d. I'm a programmer first and foremost.

So in commemoration of Star Wars and it's return I thought i'd try to make a little game in about a month's time just to see how quickly I could put something together. I don't really feel like releasing it elsewhere and I seem to have grown quite fond of this community so I thought why not share it here?

http://www.MarkJamesG.com is where you can download it.

The game is by no means perfect and should / could be completed in less than 5 minutes, so expect some bugs and a lack of polish for obvious reasons. It isn't a commercial project after all so i'm not going to painstakingly correct every little thing. Since i'm abysmal at 3d modeling and the likes...i'll pre-warn you. Collision boxes are not perfect so there is a chance of falling out of the level.

This project was made in Unreal Engine 4 using nothing but C++ and the standard editor and worked on during the weekends for a month. So in total it has about 8 days worth of work. Modeling and textures were worked on with Maya and Photoshop. The assets used in this come from Epic Games, JKA, KOTOR and Shadows of the Empire.

The textures/materials use only a diffuse map (except for the rocks) and as a result it might appear flat.

Phew. Anyways, enjoy.

P.S

I am a terrible level designer and artist! Haha. But this was just for fun so it isn't a big deal. \:D/. Though if I really wanted to make this a commercial level type of product I would have brought more people on the team then just myself onto the team to split the workload and add much, much more.

Mark James G has received a thanks from: fittersau
Mark James G
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Star Wars Fan Game.

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:43 am

You are very welcome Mark. Your posts about Shenmue 3 have been excellent and informative with your experience of Unreal. They are always a great read.

Awesome work on the project also!

And excellent Parappa the Rappa sig!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Star Wars Fan Game.

Postby Mark James G » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:55 am

Peter wrote: You are very welcome Mark. Your posts about Shenmue 3 have been excellent and informative with your experience of Unreal. They are always a great read.

Awesome work on the project also!

And excellent Parappa the Rappa sig!

Thank you, I really appreciate this!

I've been debating seriously about working on a Shenmue HD project for quite a while. My problem however has been a lack of resources to do it and being able to set aside at least 6 months or a full year to do it. I'm not a 3d modeler, animator or a level designer by any means so it quickly falls apart mostly because the people who are these things usually aren't Shenmue fanatics. Or at least I haven't found any who would be willing to invest in something like this.

On another point however I've come to really appreciate this community due to it's passion. It really takes some dedication to manipulate and read Hex values for hours on end; seriously Hex and Assembly == headaches all around. The modders here are just insane with their love for Shenmue and I absolutely adore that. It amazes me just how talented some of the members here are and even those who lack the technical skill they still write about Shenmue for years and years. Some might see it as insane but... I really do admire the perseverance. :D
Mark James G

Return to General Gaming