This is how characters models look in 2015

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

This is how characters models look in 2015

Postby Technophilz » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Here's a close-up look of Lara Croft from her latest game Rise of the Tomb Raider

phpBB [video]

I don't know why I don't expect to see a similar level of characters detail and animation in Shenmue 3, even though the game will be released two years later (at the earliest). Maybe that's because Shenmue 3 is considered as an indie title, making it below the high-standards of its two prequels ...

Technophilz has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Re: This is how characters models look in 2015

Postby Testament » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Technophilz wrote:

I don't know why .

Yes you do.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a big-budget title from a "AAA" developer.

Shenmue III is a niche game made by a handful of people and funded by fans.
Testament

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:09 pm

It doesn't need to look that detailed, nor am I expecting it to look like that.

It just needs to be pleasant to the eyes. I wouldn't be upset if they imported Ryo's Dreamcast model straight unto Shenmue 3.

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: Gavan, OL
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KidMarine » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Tomb Raider is basically an on-rails roller coaster like Uncharted though. Graphical fidelity will obviously be a lot higher when you only have to render a straight path.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:45 pm

KidMarine wrote: Tomb Raider is basically an on-rails roller coaster like Uncharted though. Graphical fidelity will obviously be a lot higher when you only have to render a straight path.

Always though it was a straight rip off of TLOU, the story of the first is god awful. I miss the old Tomb Raider games, they were about exploration and puzzles instead of a generic third person shooter.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mark James G » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Technophilz wrote: Here's a close-up look of Lara Croft from her latest game Rise of the Tomb Raider

phpBB [video]

I don't know why I don't expect to see a similar level of characters detail and animation in Shenmue 3, even though the game will be released two years later (at the earliest). Maybe that's because Shenmue 3 is considered as an indie title, making it below the high-standards of its two prequels ...

I'd love to see models look like this while also rendering thousands of other vertices and geometry in the background with various NPC's who also have an enormous amount of triangles at the same time while computing various little systems.

Sadly, for most PC's and hardware it just isn't financially viable to go through this kind of effort until the cost of hardware lowers.

Edit: I'll go out on a limb and say that this model will be toned down tremendously by the time of release.
Mark James G
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:59 pm

Yeah it's heartbreaking to know that Shenmue will no longer be the top at its release. But I'm more concerned with the acting performance. Shenmue old gen had the advantage of avoiding the overacting phenomenon of new gen games. Considering the Shenmue quality standard, will Yu make it right with faces filled of microexpressions and ever closer to the uncanny valley ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:11 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
KidMarine wrote: Tomb Raider is basically an on-rails roller coaster like Uncharted though. Graphical fidelity will obviously be a lot higher when you only have to render a straight path.

Always though it was a straight rip off of TLOU, the story of the first is god awful. I miss the old Tomb Raider games, they were about exploration and puzzles instead of a generic third person shooter.

The new TR is less focused on action according the critics.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Yeah it's heartbreaking to know that Shenmue will no longer be the top at its release. But I'm more concerned with the acting performance. Shenmue old gen had the advantage of avoiding the overacting phenomenon of new gen games. Considering the Shenmue quality standard, will Yu make it right with faces filled of microexpressions and ever closer to the uncanny valley ?

good point. i too feel that many modern AAA games have a lot of 'over-acting'. i really noticed this in the last of us. i thought witcher 3 had a lot better balanced performances imo. sometimes having too much money doesn't always help, if actors are trying too hard, or they are being badly directed.

older games often had really bad or non existent acting, but it often accidentally gave them a kind of charm and character that modern game can't capture.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Then again, we have people who just either want to see Shenmue 3 burn, have some common sense, and see how it turns out in the long run (its only been 3 months after all), or place full faith in that the legendary genius who has proven himself many times before to challenge himself and everyone around him, to do what he says and trust in his vision, regardless of boundaries, finances and criticisms, will actually deliver on every simple promise he has made!

Just a shame Techno and Yokosuka haven't chosen the latter option and continue to circulate these boards with negativity and a mindset, which represents a minority..... well the two of them, really. (maybe they should get a room?) where this project will not live up to their standards (check their past posts)

I have chosen my words kindly.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:30 pm

Teletubbies dictatorship strikes again lol.

Trust in what ? Yu never promised the top in terms of visual. Artistic maybe.

Well, it's a shame that you summarize my thoughts with only some posts and forget all my other positive ones. Leak some questionable opinions does not mean I don't trust in him (he did not promise a lot after all). I'm pretty sure to appreciate the game whatever the technical result, and honestly I think it's going to be a great game, good at least with an epic final part. I just consider all the possibilities.

Almost each day, a random thought is enough to make me fuckin thrilled to think that moment will finally happen without reading or seeing anything related to Shenmue. Each time I play Shenmue, I'm switching parts in my mind by what could be Shenmue III. Each two weeks, I have to counter misinformation and idiotic pessimism around the project on different popular local sites (sometimes with real success). Today, we got a marvellous screenshot of houses with fields and some dreamful doc photos. I just don't feel the need to make a fuss when a news comes, sorry.

It's even more a shame since you really look unable to deal with different opinions.
Your remark about "minority" is concerning, as if someone has to belong with a "norm" to provide a legitimate thought.
That's why I never got problems with over-enthusiastic members neither trash-talkers here. Although some of them got on my nerves the first weeks following their subscription (Zoltor) before I learnt more about the fans they are. I believe that a discussion is always more interesting when you can cross different views about a same subject.

And please show some respect to the Yu's team. If some trust and support have to be put in somewhere, it's not only Yu but YSnet and Neilo. Yu can be the most brilliant developer of the world, he needs talent from his staff too. That's him who said he's dreaming to hire programmers with coding autonomy, not only Unreal 4 UI mastery. Our idol Yu can't deliver everywhere or your "trust" will quickly turn in disappointment I'm afraid.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Himuro
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:24 am

This is also what character models look like in 2015:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

This is what Shenmue 3's character models look like at 3 months into development.

Graphics are the last thing in the world I'm concerned about when it comes to this game.

But yes, it is indeed an indie game, with a limited budget, and a clearly defined development schedule (which I expect to slip a little, but still - it's a tight target.) No, Shenmue 3 will likely not have the graphical fidelity of a focused, largely linear action game released in 2015.

It doesn't need to imho. I don't care whether it does or not personally. At all. But that's just me.

*Returns to self-imposed intermittent forum exile* :p
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby NeoShredder » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:20 am

NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby LucBu » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:42 am

Peter wrote: Then again, we have people who just either want to see Shenmue 3 burn, have some common sense, and see how it turns out in the long run (its only been 3 months after all), or place full faith in that the legendary genius who has proven himself many times before to challenge himself and everyone around him, to do what he says and trust in his vision, regardless of boundaries, finances and criticisms, will actually deliver on every simple promise he has made!

Just a shame Techno and Yokosuka haven't chosen the latter option and continue to circulate these boards with negativity and a mindset, which represents a minority..... well the two of them, really. (maybe they should get a room?) where this project will not live up to their standards (check their past posts)

I have chosen my words kindly.

Those ain't really kind words though.
LucBu

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:28 am

I don't think hyper-realism is good for the Shenmue aesthetic in 2015/2017.

Shenmue definitely looked the most 'real' of any game in 1999, but even then it was a stylised realism because of the technical limitations placed by the hardware, and gave Shenmue a specific feeling that hasn't been recaptured in games with similar locations with better graphical fidelity.

I think they're on the right track right now to recreate the Shenmue aesthetic of 1999 with better graphics rather than chasing the hyper-realism dream like super big budget games are.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III