Cédric Biscay : Monaco Hebdo and modogameur.fr interviews

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Cédric Biscay : Monaco Hebdo and modogameur.fr interviews

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:56 am

Monaco Hebdo interview
http://www.monacohebdo.mc/16513-shibuya ... de-dollars

"I made a lot of advisory work in video gaming and animation because they are interesting sectors for me. My idea has always been to create my own contents."

"Shibuya is the name of the most busy place of Tokyo so the most cosmopolitan. We know that Japanese people are not that attracted by the international. But Shibuya is a neighbourhood where a lot of things happen. And we work a lot with Japan. That's why I wanted to associate this image with my company."

"I moved to Monaco because the Principality is pretty well-known in the world, especially in the US. It's also much easier to meet decision-makers in Monaco where the network is rich and tight at the same time. In Japan, the Principality is especially known for the Formula One, its luxury goods and tourism. "

"We work also on 26 Astroboy episodes of 26 minutes each. The name will be Astroboy Reboot"

"We are a young company. But in 2014, we will be the company which made Shenmue and Astroboy Reboot. Thus, the eyes turned towards us will be more interested. But starting off with these two big releases (Astroboy is planned for september 2017), we earn reputation and reliability. And a lot of time."

"The real revenue will be in two years. If all goes well, it should be around 5 million euros."

"The network is the origin of everything. This is what makes possible all we're doing. Since 15 years, I build my network in Japan."

"To raise confidence, you need time. In Japan, there is a lot of codes you have to comply. My chance is that, very often, people get bored and look for China instead... where they usually fail. It's been 10 years since we talk about China as almost an Eldorado. But who really managed to establish itself in China ?"

"I played a lot of games, especially Japanese games. Shenmue had a deep impact on me. I spent sleepless nights on it. There was also Shenmue 2. But with the Dreamcast disappearance, Shenmue III never happened.

"I don't know how to draw, nor write a story or a program, neither animate... However, I know how to connect people and generate a network, especially in these sectors."

Shibuya Prod work with 4 employees. The company's role is to outsource its productions, notably in Japan, Bulgaria, United States and France. To fund a project, convince co-producers is needed. These co-producers are usually studios that employ 100 or 200 people to, for example, create and program a game.

"Sega did nothing with Shenmue. The idea was to make Shenmue III and create a huge buzz around this game".

"The budget is about several million euros, funded widely by Shibuya Prod's own funds."

"At the moment, no Mac version is planned. I can't tell you exactly but Sony put less money in the project than Shibuya".

"We target to sell one million copies. This is not what we need to earn money but that's my goal."

About piracy :
"But I still have faith in the true players, those who want beautiful packaging and look to gain a beautiful object. But I keep dreaming. Those who usually hack will continue to do so. For a game sold 60 euros, the packaging is 2-3 euros. Piracy is cultural. In Japan, downloading is still less common than selling CD.

"Our productions need teams of 150-250 people. It's still far from Disney"

Biscay has the advantage of knowing everyone since 10 years. As he worked already with them (the right owners of Astroboy), the young boss decides to opt for audacity. He asked if they would let him make a "reboot". Surprise: he gets a "yes" in minutes. In three months, the first contract is signed. Which is pretty amazing since, in this kind of business, negotiations sometimes last 2 or 3 years before reaching a signature.
"This is why I love Japan. There, everything is a matter of trust. However, if we betray the word, you're dead, can pack your bags and return in Europe."

Then everything is on track and Astroboy becomes a 9 million euros budget funded by co-producers : a Japanese one, two TV channels and Shibuya Productions. Caribara Productions (based in Paris, Annecy, Liège and Montréal) takes charge of the animation.

Other project, this time focused on cinema : "Lily and the magic pearl" by Anri Koulev, directed with Bulgaria and co-produced. The story is written by the poetist Valeri Petrov (1920-2014). Ben Cross (Star Trek 2009) is one of the dubbers. Biscay : "I want to offer a more confidential production, an auteur cinema which would never happen without our help."

"On the technical plan, the animated film is the neighbor of gaming. However, about the funding, it's very different. It's not the same intermediaries neither the same partners or the same mounting methods for budgets. Video games are still the most profitable : the potential gain is greater than an animated film. With television, it's difficult. Whereas with the cinema, when you see the complete success of The Minions..."

"We have already a big project for 2019. But from 2017, we hope to do one release per year at least."

Modogameur interview
http://modogameur.fr/interview-cedric-b ... -du-magic/

Q : Can you tell us more about you ?
CB : Above all, I am passionate of Japanese animation and video games. In order to work in these sectors, I founded two companies. The first in Nice in 2002 (2003 in Japan), specialized in advising between Europe and Japan. The name is Shibuya International. The other in 2014 with as primary goal the creation of video games and cartoons and whose name is Shibuya Productions. The latter company has the distinction of being located in Monaco and Japan. I also give courses in Master video games at the École Polytechnique de Nice-Sophia Antipolis.

Q : Do you think that Magic can become an event as not-to-be-missed as the Paris Games Week ?
CB : If you believe the articles following the 2015 edition, the MAGIC is already a must-see event in regard to its guests, the cosplay contest and video game creation competition endowed with € 100,000. We have to work hard to go even further. Our event offers free entrance with a broad focus on the conferences and round tables, we have no plans to expand the stands and to welcome tens of thousands of visitors. Our aim is to always offer more quality for true fans. That year we had notably Yuji Naka (Sonic), Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasy), Shinji Hashimoto (Kingdom Hearts), Eric Chahi (Another World), Alain Damasio (Remember Me), Frederick Raynal (Alone in the Dark), Viktor Kalvachev (Blue Estate), Philippe Buchet (Sillage) without forgetting Yoichi Takahashi (Captain Tsubasa) who comes to France and Monaco for the first time.
The 2016 edition will announce the presence of Buichi Terasawa (Cobra), Yu Suzuki (Shenmue) Kavinsky (Drive), David Lloyd (V for Vendetta), Didier Tarquin and Christophe Arleston (Lanfeust) to name a few."

Q : Your favorite mangas and games ?
CB : So much to say ! But ok, the first that come to mind are Dragon Ball Z, Cobra, Death Note, Hokuto No Ken, Saint Seiya, Hikaru no go and many others ! About games : Shenmue, Enemy Zero, Bio hazard, Radiant Silvergun, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Virtua Fighter 4, Sega Rally , Super Mario Kart, F-Zero, Street Fighter Zero 3, Uncharted 2 … this is it I can not stop !

Q : How did you selected the prestigious guests for this second edition ?
CB : I must admit that it is mostly the likes of the team. We refuse to take the easy path and don't try to follow current mainstream topics for example. Most of our guests are not into a promotion logic but come to share a good time with their fans. The undeniable advantage is that it provides a greater depth to exchanges with the public. Similarly, we do not accept pay dedications or other system that would encourage our visitors to pay for the right to photograph or signature.

Q : What are your ambitions for future editions ?
CB : We would like to pass on two days because we are beginning to refuse a lot of opportunities because of too short time we have now. However, our will is to remain a free admission event, we are not financially able to do so now. We have to find more sponsors because remember that MAGIC is an event that we fund entirely by this means.

Q : Have you never thought about exporting the Magic outside Monaco to do big conferences like Japan Expo or even Paris Games Week ?
CB : For now this is certainly not news, but we do not exclude any serious track. I myself implanted Japan Expo in Marseille and Montpellier MIG, we want MAGIC retains its specificities. With us all guests are VIP!
Last edited by Yokosuka on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Cédric Biscay : Monaco Hebdo and modogameur.fr interview

Postby Amir » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:08 am

"Sega ne faisait rien de Shenmue."

How do you say "shots fired" in French? :P
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:48 am

Translation done.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby fittersau » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:38 am

Yokosuka wrote:
"The budget is about several million euros, funded widely by Shibuya Prod's own funds."

"At the moment, no Mac version is planned. I can't tell you exactly but Sony put less money in the project than Shibuya".

"We target to sell one million copies. This is not what we need to earn money but that's my goal."

Surprising he is upfront with Sony's and Shibuya Production's contribution.

Is he saying Shibuya put out around USD$7,495,421 (7mEuros) for Shenmue and Sony put around say $6million. That means the total including our contributions would be around $19,900,000.. This roughly equates to a like for like contribution from Kickstarter for each main party, us being the deciding minimum factor. Given this type of budget I'm even more convinced Suzuki has got enough to make a really good Shenmue 3.

If his plan is to sell 1 million copies..that's a gross of $60 million, with a ROI for Shibuya, Sony, Ys Net & SEGA to be $40 million divided between them. That's fairly ambitious, that means he's expecting 925,000 sales from those non-hardcore Shenmue fans who haven't backed the development already.
Last edited by fittersau on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:47 am

fittersau wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

Is he saying Shibuya put out around USD$7,495,421 (7mEuros) for Shenmue and Sony put around say $6million..

Several million, not seven, so we still don't (and probably never will) get an exact budget for the game. Could be 7 million from Shibuya, could be 3 million, who knows?
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby fittersau » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:53 am

Amir wrote:
fittersau wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

Is he saying Shibuya put out around USD$7,495,421 (7mEuros) for Shenmue and Sony put around say $6million..

Several million, not seven, so we still don't (and probably never will) get an exact budget for the game. Could be 7 million from Shibuya, could be 3 million, who knows?

Yep, several is more than 2.. but let's hope for 7.. lol. :mrgreen: I always thought it would be a similar value to what we backed. So rather than individual backing, the combined backing of Sony & Shibuya could be the $6 million 3.5 and 2.5 each... who knows.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:55 am

His sentence seems to imply that his contribution is less than 10 million euros. So does Sony's one. 15-20 million might be the right whole budget.

Not awesome but pretty solid. With complete artistic freedom and a team mostly full of passion, it's necessary to point out.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:14 am

Am I the only one wondering where do incomes of Shibuya come from? External investors?
Did they produce already successful products?

Don't get me wrong... I'm just curious. After all, several million euros ARE a big investment and a big risk.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Amir » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:30 am

Kiske wrote: Am I the only one wondering where do incomes of Shibuya come from? External investors?

Don't get me wrong... I'm just curious. After all, several million euros ARE a big investment and a big risk.

Well they are based in Monaco, lot of rich folk there, some maybe looking to avoid paying tax and pool money into investments instead...
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:58 am

+
Prince Albert

Notice INDEX the previous owner of Atlus.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:00 am

Amir wrote:
Kiske wrote: Am I the only one wondering where do incomes of Shibuya come from? External investors?

Well they are based in Monaco, lot of rich folk there, some maybe looking to avoid paying tax and pool money into investments instead...

Could be.
At the end of the day, it mainly matters to me because good financial health of Shibuya is vital for Shenmue 3 fate.

@Yokosuka Thank you mate!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby fittersau » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:02 am

Kiske wrote:
Could be.
At the end of the day, it mainly matters to me because good financial health of Shibuya is vital for Shenmue 3 fate.

@Yokosuka Thank you mate!

Indeed, Shibuya over stretching themselves will be bad for Shenmue 3 & 4?...
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 am

Not sure about their income but Magic Monaco mainly exist because of sponsors.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby DEVILLE_David » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Yokosuka, check your PM please. ;-)
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:57 pm

I hope this is correct, let's say several millions in worst case being 3 million plus maybe 2 million from sony and 7 million from kickstarter and paypal would be 12 million in worst case scenario with already an engine in place. witcher 3 costs less than 40 million with en engine built from scratch and a development cycle of 5 years
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Next

Return to Shenmue III