Kickstarter Monthly update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Monthly update

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Yu shouldn't have promised monthly updates because people will hold him to that. He should have said every 2-3 months. I imagine there isn't much to share at this point anyway and I don't want to see every aspect of Shenmue 3 before I play it. An interview every 2-3 months on how the development is progressing as well as a few promotional images would sit fine with me.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:01 pm

The lack of the slightest tweet is the most annoying part. Being tolerant, I will consider no update after 10th december as a missed promise. It's not a question of personally wanting or not an update but of respecting the +60 000 backers and being professional.

I would like to learn that was because the team was so busy by the development that they simply forgot but I think we'll get it very soon anyway.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby fittersau » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:50 am

Percentage completion would be best way to explain progress without giving away spoilers.

The way the kickstarter stretch goals were listed and the team advising certain goals have been completed would be sufficient for me. Could be too dry for some people.

e.g. Chobu is now 20% completed for level design.
Player character modelling 10% completed.

The problem with us is, we are fans and we are investors. Just like Sony flew in last month to see Ys Net progress we want to know work is on track, but we also want to be delighted and surprised so we don't want to know too much either.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:20 am

There is a lot of design-test-redesign in game development.

So those would be just illustrative and certainly repetitive to see one each month. I think Yu got a little tongue loose in the hype of the KS. Even really detailed devlogs like double fine adventure documentary was closer to a reality show than an actual update of the game, and some of the best content were interviews with people involved in the game.

He also got a little too carried away by talking about polls and things like that about wanting "to make shenmue alongside fans" (specially since he seems to have a very distinct design philosophy).

But yeah, he they can just say working on animations/fighting system/whatever, snap a pic of people working on the game, say "we are on track" and move along.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby iyapol » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:40 am

I sent both Cedric and the official twitter account a tweet asking about a November update but was completely ignored.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:55 am

People calm down. :)

There will be an update before the end of the year, I'm pretty sure about that.

If not about Shenmue 3 development (As others, I can easily live with it as far as we know development is on track and goes smoothly. The China conference news are more than positive from this point of view) at least about the Slacker Backer campaign.

Cédric Biscay stated several times that PC rewards will come before the end of the PayPal campaign and there are no reasons so far, not to trust him.

Beside that... I still have some hopes about a Playstation Experience annoucement/update.
This would be a perfect time to give a few more info, about Shenmue 3 or (from the most optimistic angle) even Shenmue HD and give the PayPal campaign, a final boost.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, SheepheadCG
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Monkei » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:57 am

Kiske wrote: People calm down. :)

!

Seriously guys, don't be jerks.

Kiske wrote:Beside that... I still have some hopes about a Playstation Experience annoucement/update.
This would be a perfect time to give a few more info, about Shenmue 3 or (from the most optimistic angle) even Shenmue HD and give the PayPal campaign, a final boost.

This. Thanks for being reasonable.

Biscay's silence might actually be a really good sign.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:53 am

Kiske wrote: People calm down. :)

There will be an update before the end of the year, I'm pretty sure about that.

If not about Shenmue 3 development (As others, I can easily live with it as far as we know development is on track and goes smoothly. The China conference news are more than positive from this point of view) at least about the Slacker Backer campaign.

Cédric Biscay stated several times that PC rewards will come before the end of the PayPal campaign and there are no reasons so far, not to trust him.

Beside that... I still have some hopes about a Playstation Experience annoucement/update.

Pretty much this. No need to ask for strict updates on the dot, they are not being performance managed. I'm sure something will be shown at PSX, that's just around the corner.

Why would you do an update now when you can go with more glitz at PSX.

fittersau has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, SheepheadCG
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:18 am

I've not seen any panic here :-k

Whether we get the update one day, I don't care personally and everybody will agree with you, Kiske.

The real trouble is the lack of communication because this would be another proof of amateurism. You can't hide the fact that a promise is a promise. Yu is a terrible communicator and needs to improve himself if we wants that things goes well in the future. I repeat but it's no longer question of attracting new backers but showing some professionalism to those who have paid.

Of course, it's only an hypothetic statement as we're only on December 2. I see no reason why their amateurism would reach that level.

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: NeoShredder, Technophilz
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:03 am

I had no intention to be offensive towards anybody Yokusuka :)

As I wrote in this topic or another one, i don't remember to be honest... from a backer point of view I expect to be informed on a regular basis. The first example to come to my mind is the material presented in China. I hope as a backer, to get good quality pictures or videos from the event. Not because I deserve them, but because I think low res videos and screen captures from the venue could damage the actual quality of their work (like the PC used for the presentation beeing too slow to animate correctly the in-house sequences.)

Now, I don't expect one update every 30 days... even if Suzuki San promised to do his best to keep backers informed.
They have priorities and backers update certainly are time consuming. Since I'm aware we might see no update at the end of the year, start of the new year, I would be more than happy to have a combined update for november/december. Especially if this update comes along the PSX event next saturday.
Every single Shenmue fan is aware of the smallest Shenmue related news within hours... but it's absolutely not the same situation for casual gamers or people who know nothing about this game.

Those casual gamers and newcomers are more important than backers for now... well, at least until PayPal campaign ends. That's why I really hope for some annoucement during Playstation Experience and before Slacker Backer deadline.

When all the cards will be played and all the funds gathered, then I will expect to be as a backer, the first to get news about the project. Now, just to clarify Yu Suzuki position and possible lack of communication... Kickstarter and PayPal campaign are Awesome Japan responsability. When Yu was in China, he kept us informed with great tweets. He wanted to share with fans his journey through future Shenmue 3 sceneries.

Same logic (imo) goes for Cédric Biscay. I think it could be detrimental in the long run to harass him with issues out of his control. For now he tries to share and communicate with fans... but it's up to him to decide whether it is worthwhile or not.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby iyapol » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:05 am

Asking for a 'promised' update is hardly being a jerk, is it?

People have invested a lot of money into this game and it's only right they stick to what they've agreed to do. Otherwise, come out, put the record straight and tell us we won't be getting monthly updates.

It's not difficult.

iyapol has received a thanks from: Technophilz
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:10 am

iyapol wrote: Asking for a 'promised' update is hardly being a jerk, is it?

People have invested a lot of money into this game and it's only right they stick to what they've agreed to do. Otherwise, come out, put the record straight and tell us we won't be getting monthly updates. It's not difficult.

Two days... it's been two days.
Give them some time and have at least a little faith. :roll:

We are still 2 years away from the release. If we start like that... those 2 years are going to last longer than the 14 (!!!) years we have waited for Shenmue 3 announcement. :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby iyapol » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:16 am

Kiske wrote:
iyapol wrote: Asking for a 'promised' update is hardly being a jerk, is it?

People have invested a lot of money into this game and it's only right they stick to what they've agreed to do. Otherwise, come out, put the record straight and tell us we won't be getting monthly updates. It's not difficult.

Two days... it's been two days.
Give them some time and have at least a little faith. :roll:

We are still 2 years away from the release. If we start like that... those 2 years are going to last longer than the 14 (!!!) years we have waited for Shenmue 3 announcement. :mrgreen:

Whether it's two days, two weeks or two months late, it's late.

My point is, don't promise something if you can't deliver. It's unprofessional and sends out a negative message to the backers who have parted with their hard earned cash.

iyapol has received 2 thanks from: NeoShredder, Technophilz
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:32 am

There could be good reasons for such "delay".
Give them the benefit of the doubt until Playstation Experience is behind us.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Amir » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:40 am

Yeah I wouldn't expect monthly updates close to public events such as MAGIC 2016, E3 2016, TGS 2016, etc. They'll be busy working on presentations for such events, no point in wasting time compiling screenshots or videos for just a few people when they can dedicate their efforts to attracting a wider audience to get more sales and increase chances of Shenmue IV.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III