Lan Di? Just a man.

(Chapters 3-6)

Lan Di? Just a man.

Postby SMDzero » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:12 am

One thing that always struck me in Shenmue 2 was how Lan Di had to hold on to the helicopter rope ladder with his hand.

In Shenmue 1 Lan Di seemed ungodly powerful and invincible but in Shenmue II he seems so human and frail having to hold on to the rope ladder for dear life. You would think that Lan Di would have been able to balance perfectly on the ladder without having to hold on if his invincible aura he had in Shenmue 1 had carried over.

I think we're going to see a more human and vulnerable Lan Di whom Ryo will have a real chance of beating in a fight. Especially how we'll see Lan Di with people equal to and even exceeding his rank in the Chi You Men.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Lan Di? Just a man.

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:56 am

I agree. lan di seems to weaken a lot by the end of shenmue 2.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Monkei » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:28 am

SMDzero wrote:You would think that Lan Di would have been able to balance perfectly on the ladder without having to hold on

LOL
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:37 am

he is so evil you wonder whether he might be a demon or reptile wearing a human mask. i doubt it though.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Mr357 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:59 pm

I've always assumed that he was able to beat Iwao so easily because he was possessed by Chi You or something.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:00 pm

I don't really see his appearance in Shenmue II as weak. I see it more as a display of power. In the original, he had a black car. In the sequel, a black fucking helicopter. He's probably a hundred or more feet in the air, just hanging on to a rope ladder. He doesn't even break his icy stare. Ryo is on his turf now.

Then again, he probably does consider Ryo more of a challenge after watching him kick the shit out of the top Triad leader in Kowloon. In the opening of the first game, Lan Di barely even looks at Ryo, but in II they have that amazing stare-down.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bambi » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:07 pm

SMDzero wrote: In Shenmue 1 Lan Di seemed ungodly powerful and invincible but in Shenmue II he seems so human and frail having to hold on to the rope ladder for dear life. You would think that Lan Di would have been able to balance perfectly on the ladder without having to hold on if his invincible aura he had in Shenmue 1 had carried over.

:rotflmao:
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:06 pm

Well in Shenmue 1 Lan Di pretty much always has his arms behind his back because he's so powerful he can do everything with no hands.

Seeing his arm jutted out behind him holding tightly to the ladder as if his life depended on it made him seem weak and human.

What's more badass?

This:

or.... ugh.. this.. :???:

SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:21 pm

No joking, I had sometimes the same thoughts about it. Holding a ladder, being dependant of pieces of string, the helicopter pilot and the wind force made him look so vulnerable and "normal" in an inexplicable way !
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby SMDzero » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Yeah it reminded me of that episode of Lassie when Timmy gets stuck on the side of the mountain and had to put his leg through a rope loop to get carried down by the rescue helicopter.

Little Timmy was so helpless hanging from that helicopter and I thought Lan Di looked just as pitiful.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:13 am

Ehm... the helicopter ran out of gas.

He's actually flying, that's why he has to grab the ladder, to keep the helicopter flying. His chi mantains the rope straight.

shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:43 am

Are you fucking kidding me? The dude is hanging off a helicopter with one arm. How the hell is supposed to balance on a rope ladder flying in the air? That's simply not possible.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby SMDzero » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:58 am

But he's Lan Di.. basically a god among men. I don't think balancing on a ladder with no hands is too much to ask a man with his super human capabilities.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:04 am

SMDzero wrote:But he's Lan Di.. basically a god among men. I don't think balancing on a ladder with no hands is too much to ask a man with his super human capabilities.

What super human capabilities? The ability to beat the shit out of a 50 year old man? I must be a god.

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby SMDzero » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:14 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote:
SMDzero wrote:But he's Lan Di.. basically a god among men. I don't think balancing on a ladder with no hands is too much to ask a man with his super human capabilities.

What super human capabilities? The ability to beat the shit out of a 50 year old man? I must be a god.

First of all Iwao was a 46 and in get shape.. he had a great diet of carrots. He also had the best Dojo in all of Yamanose. Plus he trained with Lan Di's father.. who coulda been quite the martial artist if he hadn't been killed.

Look Iwao fought Lan Di hard and gave him all his best shots.... and the man kept coming. He was like a super human god who couldn't be touched.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: TwiceFriedRice
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue II