shenmue with Magic is still shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

shenmue with Magic is still shenmue

Postby sshen1127 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:45 am

There is one thought always bothers me. In the end of shenmue 2 we saw a flying sword.
niao sun can seduce man
shahua in the shenmue online video summon a dragon
if shenmue 3 . Ryo start shooting fire ball at landi would you still think its shenmue
sshen1127
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: shenmue with Magic is still shenmue

Postby Ryuman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:52 am

Sure, I expect plenty of mystical elements in Shenmue. Maybe some more mystical artifacts or a mysterious martial art. Shenhua will definitely have a magical element as well. Maybe not like in Shenmue Online, as Suzuki told us that much of that was made up for the game. The very nature of the Chi You Men's goal reeks of mysticism as well.

To me, this would still be Shenmue, and I happily anticipate it.

Ryuman has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Ryuman
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby shredingskin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:00 pm

I think Shenmue III will start at gd4 of SII. SO maybe he can erase a little of that offputting ending.

sshen1127 wrote:niao sun can seduce man

Having tits is not magic :P
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Amir » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

I don't think Niao Sun uses magic to seduce men. I mean, just look at her rack.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby johnvivant » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:11 pm

i don't have a problem with magic in the shenmue universe, actually i loved the way it was hinted at and implied right way through the first game, and the majority of the 2nd.

but i have to admit the way it was thrown right into your face at the end of 2, with the flying sword and ray beam was probably a little too much. it went from subtle suggestion with a great incremental build up, creating more wonder in the world, to having it so suddenly and unambiguously, full-in-the-face 'MAGIC IS REAL!'

this is probably because Suzuki skipped ahead a few chapters, so your missing possibly hours of gameplay where the existence of magic would have been built up further. he might also have used it to shock the player, hoping that it would create more demand for a sequel from people seeking an explanation.

btw - Suzuki confirmed that the shenmue online video is a separate fictional story he created just for shenmue online.

he also said that majority of shenmue 3 won't have magic. so i'm guessing that it will be more prominent in 4 and 5.
i don't see it as problem if this event doesn't have much effect on ryo and shenhua, and they don't really mention it again - at least not until much later. this often happens in Magic Realism, and shouldn't be seen a contradiction or an inconsistency.

shredingskin wrote: I think Shenmue III will start at gd4 of SII. SO maybe he can erase a little of that offputting ending.

sshen1127 wrote:niao sun can seduce man

Having tits is not magic :P

LOL
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby 7heavens » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:28 pm

I think its too simple to call it magic. Its more about esoteric energy. Like qi.

For example in martial arts u have the concept of dim mak where at the time if a strike u can channel qi into the opponents body (via meridians) and render him unconscious or even dead. Death touch.

Mind over matter.
pardon the extremely bad example and poor comparison but shenhuas powers can be seen to be somewhat similar to Matildas. Obviously with some extra bells and whistles such as connecting with the souls of her ancestors. Now nobody said Matilda was a mage, rather she's described as being gifted.

There is a lot more I can say on the subject. I'll probably explain further about the esoteric energies and occurences seen in the game (ie how is it that ryo is able to see shenhua in dreams before he's actually met her etc). I'm currently typing on a phone and I hate using phones to type for long.

7heavens has received a thanks from: Giorgio
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Postby sshen1127 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:58 pm

i understand Qi. I am talking about final fantasy like magic . lighting fire and summon dragon
sshen1127
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:05 pm

We should not forget that Shenmue was aiming to be a RPG in straight competition with Final Fantasy.

If Sega accepted to invest a record sum of money in this project, there was obviously a better reason than making a Bruce Lee hommage.

Talking about FF, am I the only one to have thought that FFXV was possibly going to be a game like Shenmue at the beginning (or FFXIII versus) ? Really disappointed by the game I'm seeing after what I read two years ago.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby sshen1127 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:12 pm

i need to defect landi with my fist. not with a dragon come out of my fist
sshen1127
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Giorgio » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Magic realism

Magical realism, magic realism, or marvelous realism is literature, painting, and film that, while encompassing a range of subtly different concepts, share in common an acceptance of magic in the rational world. It is also sometimes called fabulism, in reference to the conventions of fables, myths, and allegory. Of the four terms, Magical realism is the most commonly used and refers to literature in particular that portrays magical or unreal elements as a natural part in an otherwise realistic or mundane environment.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Ryuman
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby LucBu » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:43 pm

Shenmue isn't really magic realism.
LucBu

Postby johnvivant » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:20 pm

LucBu wrote: Shenmue isn't really magic realism.

its not purely anything, clearly its has lots of influences.
i'd rather describe it as a form of the perennial hero's journey, a Wuxia story in a modern setting, with some elements of magic realism.

even though shenmue is set in the east, it has a very strong western influence (at least in certain environments,), so it often feels closer to magic realism than wuxia.

the feel of shenmue changes dramatically as the environment changes, and i expect that the games may evolve more in the direction of pure wuxia as we go further into rural china (shenmue 3) where the western influence has not yet penetrated so deeply.

but actually i think it will go back and forth, because modern city exploration could return in shenmue 4 and 5. each game has its own tone, and feeling which is emitted by the environment . i really like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_realism
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ryuman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:40 pm

johnvivant wrote:its not purely anything, clearly its has lots of influences.
i'd rather describe it as a form of the perennial hero's journey, a Wuxia story in a modern setting, with some elements of magic realism.

Pretty much what I think. I doubt we'll get truly outlandish stuff in the series but it'll be interesting to see how the world develops. I like these kinds of stories anyway.
Ryuman

Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby Himuro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:38 pm

sshen1127 wrote:
shahua in the shenmue online video summon a dragon

Yu specifically said this was for Shenmue Online and that Shenmue Online was a side story and this will not be happening in Shenmue proper.

Also, the sword does not fly. That is merely Shenhua using her ki to make the sword float.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby MoonStar15 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:59 pm

I just want everything to be as shown in the Shenmue project video....

phpBB [video]
MoonStar15

Next

Return to Shenmue III