Missing chapters in Saturn version?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Missing chapters in Saturn version?

Postby 7heavens » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:06 pm

We know that the Saturn version of shenmue has the story all the way until the meeting with shenhua (Its possible that the Saturn version included a little more than where shenmue 2 finished).

When shenmue was moved to the dreamcast it had a lot of extra content added, to the extent that shenmue had to be split into 2 games. So its apparent that the Saturn version was more story orientated. We know that the boat chapter (chap 2) was cut out. Bear in mind that this was a whole chapter from the story and not just some insignificant content. And more recently we learnt that the journey from hong Kong to guilin was also cut out (this included the segment on the train). You Suzuki mentioned that shenhua was to be met much later but he rearranged the story so that we met her a lot earlier. This choice was obviously made during the Dreamcast days.

Now this is where it gets interesting. If meeting shenhua was to occur in chap 5 then that would imply that the Saturn version had story and content all the way until atleast chap 5. Who knows maybe even more (the footage revealed of the Saturn version was probably carefully edited to avoid giving away anymore of the story and possible spoilers).

If this is in fact the case then both the boat chapter and the train chapter should be in the Saturn version. And not only that but possibly a lot of other content. The Saturn version would have been more story orientated therefore it probably got straight to the point and it is possible that events all the way until chap 5 or so were thus included in it.

Maybe even portions of the now shenmue 3 might be in the Saturn version.

All we need now is someone at Sega to leak the Saturn version, that or we get a group of extremely talented theives and burglers together to plan a heist on Sega's yellow head building. Lol.
Now where's that pesky little Wong gone off to? I need him to pick the locks!
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Missing chapters in Saturn version?

Postby Amir » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:19 pm

I don't think the boat chapter was even a thing at the time of the Saturn version, I think it was added in during the development of the Dreamcast version after they had split what they had in two and were attempting to find a satisfactory ending to the first game. We got a brief CG glimpse of the train during the Project Berkley tease but I can't imagine the Saturn being able to handle a train going through an expansive environment at high speed unless the windows were gonna be shut or they were gonna have pre-rendered backgrounds or something.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby 7heavens » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Even If we agree that the boat chapter was an after thought. U have to agree that all the events until the meeting of shenhua according to the original (possibly VF RPG) story structure would have been included in Saturn version. All the events illustrated on the GDC shenmue cards including the train scenario until the meeting of shenhua must have been in that version. Possibly more.

The train segment on the Saturn is possible. You don't have to show the train moving through expansive locations. There's ways ways to work around hardware limitations and get story the accross.

My main point is that meeting shenhua was actually to be much later. The decision to bring this event closer was done during Dreamcast era. On Saturn version we know ryo meets shenhua... So according to the original structure of the story more events would have taken place before the meeting. Events which were either cut out or are still to come in then future of the saga as we know it today.

....by the way anyone seen Wong around? I heard there's a secret basement with a tunnel that leads straight to the Sega head building.
7heavens

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:52 pm

I would love, above all else, for the Saturn version of Shenmue to one day leak. Certainly hope they've still got the source code for it at the very least.

"It belongs in a museum!"

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby fittersau » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:24 am

Spaghetti wrote: I would love, above all else, for the Saturn version of Shenmue to one day leak. Certainly hope they've still got the source code for it at the very least.

"It belongs in a museum!"

That would have been a nice kickstarter reward for say, $50,000... :mrgreen:
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:50 pm

I would rather play Shenmue Saturn than Shenmue 1 and 2 HD.....
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby zema » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:11 am

I had always thought that maybe the saturn version had more story content past meeting shenhua.
However it never ocurred to me that there might be other content of story elements that happen before that. This is fascinating stuff.

Just how much story does the saturn version have?
Now i'm guessing the saturn version is nowhere near being in a finished playable version, so that version being released is definetely not happening.

I would, however, love it if shenmue 3 had lots of extras with new vídeos from the saturn version.

zema has received a thanks from: Senpai Gamer
zema
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zema7777
Nintendo FC: zema7777
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:23 am

the saturn version contained less and I mean considerably less content than the dreamcast versions. shenmue 1 and 2 were supposed to be 1 game but they kept adding to the first chapter and I guess also somewhat to the hong kong chapters.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby 7heavens » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:31 am

Yes i agree. As I indicated in my initial posts The Saturn version would have had less overall content but due to the recent revelations I'm inclined to believe that it covered more chapters and narrative elements directly related to the core of the shenmue story. Yu Suzuki did mention that the Saturn version was at the Sega archive somewhere. I wish he would dig it up and reveal more of it. It would definitely add to the legend of shenmue.

Maybe someone like David, in his next meeting and interview, could enquire more and get yu Suzuki to shed more light and provide further info about the Saturn version. Maybe even encourage him to incorporate some videos or screenshots as extras in shenmue 3.
7heavens

Postby Yokosuka » Fri May 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Last chapter was actually in the Saturn version with Ryo using the
power of the mirrors to time travel into the future as he did to enter the Shenhua's city of Qing dynasty into the past.
but Yu then rewrote completely this version. You can watch the sample here from the NHK archives:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5lBCGT ... &t=1h1m39s

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: John Doom
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby John Doom » Sat May 06, 2017 4:41 am

:D I played that game back in the days. It always felt like a Dynamite Cop rip-off to me, though :\
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby jcjimher » Sun May 07, 2017 6:10 pm

We don't know when they made the decision of bringing the Shenhua encounter earlier. Maybe it was before or during the Saturn version development, and thus there's no additional content. But yeah, it would be super interesting to get a hold of that Saturn version!
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Testament » Thu May 11, 2017 2:42 pm

7heavens wrote:

The train segment on the Saturn is possible. You don't have to show the train moving through expansive locations. There's ways ways to work around hardware limitations and get story the accross.

I don't doubt that they could have pulled off a high-speed train scene on the Sega Saturn. But I do doubt that it would have met the Yu Suzuki's standards, and thus it was cut.
Testament

Postby John Doom » Thu May 11, 2017 5:38 pm

:\ Do you know what's sad? Even if we asked Suzuki himself, we may not get all the answers, because it was so long ago: IIRC, Ryan Payton said in a podcast that he showed the saturn version's video to Suzuki and he said he was surprised to see that they went that far in the development and wouldn't remember, for example, why Iwao's secret room was originally located in the backyard. That being said, we know they still have the concepts for all Shenmue's development, so maybe in the future we'll be able to learn more about it :)
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby 7heavens » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:53 am

Did any one from the 10k backers ever inquire about the chapter structure in the Saturn version or how far they had got with it? And have ysnet got access to those assets now (since Sega allowed them access to all previous shenmue assets).
7heavens

Next

Return to Shenmue III