"Metal Gear Solid Creator Takes His Team and Leaves Konami"

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: "Metal Gear Solid Creator Takes His Team and Leaves Kona

Postby Mr357 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:17 pm

Mr357 has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, sand4fish
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:19 pm

Man Sony are really going for it this generation in terms of giving the hardcore fans what they want.

The only thing that bums me out here is I bet Konami haven't let him so much as create a new document on his laptop let alone start making the game. Chances are we won't even see a trailer for 3+ years.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Kojima's first interview:

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has founded a new independent game studio: Kojima Productions, which has partnered with Sony for its first project, a new franchise that Kojima told IGN will be "slightly more edgy."

We spoke to Kojima in Tokyo for his first public interview since reports that he was leaving Konami after the completion of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. He will be joined at his new studio by former Metal Gear Solid artist Yoji Shinkawa and producer Kenichiro Imaizumi. Both men will fill senior roles overlooking art design and production respectively.

While Kojima was eager to answer our questions about his future, he offered no comments about his former employer, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, or the future of Metal Gear series.

Instead, Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa were eager to discuss the state of the games industry, Kojima Productions’ future, and its mysterious upcoming PlayStation game

Sony Deal

Kojima Productions has partnered with Sony for its first video game project, and studio founder Hideo Kojima explains that it’s because of his great relationship with the publisher, which has developed over the course of more than a decade.

"I feel like this is an environment where I will be able to make something and feel comfortable," Kojima said, "and I believe that’s the environment I need right now."

Following his departure from Konami, Kojima received "a lot of offers from overseas companies," but ultimately chose to work with the company he admits he owes his global success to.

"It’s thanks to Sony that I was able to make a splash in the global market. It’s been 10-plus years since then and the working relationship at Sony, the people at Sony, we gel well…. I got several offers from many different companies, but with Sony it came to a point where I know these people, they know me, we know each other well."

Kojima admits, "it would have been interesting to develop a relationship" with an overseas partner, "but in this case it’s been 10-plus years. There are many stories. We have this deeper trust with each other, so I wanted to try working with [Sony] on the first project."

Kojima’s been an advocate of multiplatform games in the past, so there’s certainly the potential that Kojima Productions’ future projects are not platform exclusive.

"One way or another," Kojima said, "everything will end up being multiplatform."

The PlayStation Project is Top Secret

Kojima isn’t ready to give any details on what Kojima Productions’ PlayStation project is quite yet, and it’s likely that very very little, if anything, has even been decided. But the early team told IGN what its philosophy and goals will be for the nascent project.

"I want to create something that’s what people expect, but at the same time will have something new that people haven’t seen before," Kojima said, noting specifically that "it will be a complete game."

Yoji Shinkawa added, “We’ve been working on a franchise that is beloved and has recognizable characters. One of my big goals is, visually, with whatever characters we create, to go beyond that, to be more recognizable, more beloved. That’s definitely one of the goals I have when it comes to the art side.”

For its first project, Kojima said, "I’m thinking smaller-scale, not too many people, and focusing on game creation at first." From there, Kojima says it’s possible the studio could expand beyond games.

Games Come First, But Aren’t the End

While Hideo Kojima wants to deliver what his fans expect from him -- “I think that’s games” -- video game development isn’t necessarily the only thing Kojima Productions is interested in long-term.

"The focus is on digital content, so we could consider movies, animations, anything," Kojima said. "But first I think people expect games from me. That’s where I want to put my focus. Once we have an established IP in games, something solid that satisfies people, then we can consider movies and videos."

Kojima reiterated once more that he’s still interested in working with his Silent Hills partner Guillermo del Toro, whether it’s a game, film, anime, or something else entirely.

Exploring New Territory With Kojima Productions

With the new Kojima Productions, the team aims to maintain the studio's pedigree for making high quality games.

“We’ll have more agility,” he said. “We’ll be able to do things that are more edgy, preserving the quality we’ve had so far, while at the same time finding new challenges and exploring new areas.”

Shinkawa told IGN he’ll be overseeing the entirety of Kojima Productions’ art, including "characters, concepts for the backgrounds, concepts for the mechs," and more.

“One thing that’s different is I want to accept challenges and do things I wasn’t able to do before,” Shinkawa added. “I want to expand, on a personal level, the things I can do.”

Del Toro

Hideo Kojima is still interested in working with Guillermo del Toro, his partner on the canceled Silent Hills project, but the duo could end up working on something other than a video game at the newly formed Kojima Productions.

"I have no idea what I’ll be working on with him, if it’ll be a game, a movie, anime, but someday I definitely want to create something with him," Kojima told IGN

The Metal Gear Solid creator made no guarantees that del Toro would be involved in any future Kojima Productions projects, but emphasized that the two still discuss working together "every now and then."

VR

Hideo Kojima “can’t make an assurance right now” about working on a virtual reality game at Kojima Productions, but told IGN it’s absolutely in his interest.

“One day I’d like to make something using this technology, I’m not sure yet,” Kojima said. “But I do believe it has a future.”

The size of the technology as it exists now is a concern for the Kojima Productions founder.

“I’m not sure if it’ll be current format, the big goggles, maybe it’ll change to AR or something,” he said. “But when this technology enters the living room, games and movies will change significantly for a lot of people. And I’d like to take part in that.”

Kojima noted that the sense of “being there is not something 3D movies can even try to compete with. It’s on a completely different level. In that regard I feel this is something that has a big future.”

Kojima Productions artist Yoji Shinkawa is also impressed by and interested in VR. He told IGN, “I tried many titles on VR technology and I’m very, very impressed. It gave me a shock similar to when I first played a game on Famicom. It had a huge impact on me and I’m very impressed by VR technology. One day I hope I can work on something on V

Kojima Productions’ Logo Mirrors Its Journey

The Kojima Productions logo differs drastically from its relatively simple earlier iteration. The familiar fox has been replaced by an ornate skull wrapped around something more mechanical.

“I’ve always loved astronauts, and [the new Kojima Productions logo] is designed so it can be seen as a medieval knight or an astronaut’s helmet,” Kojima said. “The concept is, with new technology and a pioneer spirit, we want to bring you to a new realm – within the digital world, I mean – we want to travel together with you to a new realm to which no one has gone before.”

He continued, “As for the skeleton, we’re homo sapiens – people of wisdom – but we’re also homo ludens – people who play – and the concept behind this logo is that: With new technology and a pioneer spirit, we’ll deliver play to a new world.”

The Studio Still Hasn’t Decided What Game Engine to Use

While at Konami, Kojima and his team built the Fox Engine, an impressive software framework capable of high quality photorealistic graphics. It was a massive undertaking that took several years of development.

For his new studio, Kojima Productions is still discussing and analyzing what framework the team will use.

“We could go either way,” Kojima said, “whether it’s using an existing engine or making another engine. We’ll have to do some research before making a decision on that one.”

Japanese Console Trends Aren’t a Concern

“I make games in Japan for a global market,” Kojima said when asked about his view of console sales’ downward trend in Japan. “As long as there’s a market out there in the world for making games, I’m not too focused on what’s happening in the domestic market in Japan.

“However, because I make games for all the world, I want to make games that go to a global market. If there are very fun games are out there, I believe they will eventually find their way to Japan. People in Japan will start consuming them.”

Both Kojima and Shinkawa Expressed Gratitude to Fans

"One thing that happened through this period, the voice of the fans, the people who expected a lot, they gave me courage," Shinkawa said. "They made me feel really good. I felt really gratified having worked so hard in creating games and doing the art I create. I want to correspond to the fans, to get back to them, and I think working again with Mr. Kojima is a great way to do this."

Kojima added, "I’ve been in this industry for 30 years. I turned 52 this year. I’m getting to a new start, and I am very confident. I’ll keep creating games until the day I die. Rest assured I’m making more games, something more fun, something you haven’t seen, and it would be great if I could count on the fans to support me in this."

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, Mr357
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Mr357 wrote: Image

#fuckkonami 8)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Mr357 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:40 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote: #fuckkonami 8)

It rolls off the tongue too well. It's as if they were destined to fall from grace and become complete assholes.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Monkei » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:47 am

December 17, 2015
KONAMI SEEKS DEVELOPERS FOR 'NEW METAL GEAR'
"New Metal Gear!?"

BY SETH G. MACY
On the career page of its Japanese website, Konami Group has announced it is actively seeking professionals to help develop a new Metal Gear.

Not just a new Metal Gear, but "New Metal Gear," as the project is referred to in the listing. The company is now recruiting for a "wide range of highly-skilled development professionals" for New Metal Gear.

In September, Konami expressed confidence that the Metal Gear Solid franchise could continue without Kojima, citing the successful partnership with Platinum Games on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance as an example. Reports at the beginning of November pointed to Konami already planning the next Metal Gear game.

Both Konami's Tokyo and Los Angeles studios are listed on the job page, which calls for professional resumes and portfolios from candidates with a "strong passion toward game creation." The inclusion of the LA office is unusual, as Konami confirmed it would be shuttering its California-based studio.

This comes in the wake of former Konami employee and Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima's announcement that his team will be working on an unannounced product with Sony. Kojima's new PlayStation game will be "slightly more edgy" than the Metal Gear games for which he is famous, but there are precious few other details to talk about at the moment.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:27 am

Mr357 wrote: Image

^ This cracks me up. I will think of this every time Konami announces a new game from now on, and so should we all.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:13 am

Monkei wrote:
December 17, 2015
KONAMI SEEKS DEVELOPERS FOR 'NEW METAL GEAR'
"New Metal Gear!?"

BY SETH G. MACY
On the career page of its Japanese website, Konami Group has announced it is actively seeking professionals to help develop a new Metal Gear.

Not just a new Metal Gear, but "New Metal Gear," as the project is referred to in the listing. The company is now recruiting for a "wide range of highly-skilled development professionals" for New Metal Gear.

In September, Konami expressed confidence that the Metal Gear Solid franchise could continue without Kojima, citing the successful partnership with Platinum Games on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance as an example. Reports at the beginning of November pointed to Konami already planning the next Metal Gear game.

Both Konami's Tokyo and Los Angeles studios are listed on the job page, which calls for professional resumes and portfolios from candidates with a "strong passion toward game creation." The inclusion of the LA office is unusual, as Konami confirmed it would be shuttering its California-based studio.

This comes in the wake of former Konami employee and Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima's announcement that his team will be working on an unannounced product with Sony. Kojima's new PlayStation game will be "slightly more edgy" than the Metal Gear games for which he is famous, but there are precious few other details to talk about at the moment.

#boycottkonami they are finished anyway. Its almost as if they are in stupor of rage, like they arent even making clear decisions they are so angry about Kojima. Kojima announces his partnership with sony and the very next day Konami comes out with this? Its just really starting to get childish and unprofessional, Konami has hit rock bottom.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:56 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:#boycottkonami

:roll:
Don't get worked up, I'm not rolling my eyes just because it's you, but because actually "boycotting" anything in the entertainment industry, of all industries, is silly.
If they end up developing something that looks cool and actually seems like it might be fun, why should anyone boycott it? If it turns out they're perfectly capable of producing something good without Kojima's help, then who gives a shit about internal politics or corporate policies/strategy? A good game is a good game, and the behind-the-scenes nonsense that's gone on with the higher-ups has no bearing on the competency of their actual development teams who make the games and have nothing to do with Kojima's termination.
I'd say shitting all over a dev team's work just because their bosses are douchebags is just as crappy as anything those Konami higher-ups have done.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:46 pm

OL... Jesus man ](*,)

For straters, if the new development team involved with the next metal gear knowingly and willingly join Konami with knowledge of everything they have done, they are wrong and possibly just being ignorant to the situation. Second, they will obviously have to be metal gear fans, and who ever desperate japanese developer in need of a job (who probably doesnt care in the first place) dis-respect Kojima by even considering taking a job to continue Kojimas creation (if Kojima hadnt taken the entire MG team with him this wouldnt be as bad, but its not the case). Also, now that we have knowledge of how Konami behaves, does anyone there really feel like they have job security, who is going to be the next Kojima if someone tries to question the suits at konami authority? Unlikely at this point, because Kojima was the only big name talent they had left, but they could pull this fiasco again in the future when and if another great developer comes along there.

I mean what quality of employees do you really think they will be able to hire after all this? Think about it, coming off firing/suspending the only talented leader left, shitting all over his name and putting internal business on display for everyone to see. Right now everyone in the games industry must be ignoring Konami because they have clearly come off the rails here lately, the only people I could think of that would join them would be young/inexperienced fresh out college game designers. You actually wanna see what Konami may do with MG after all of this? MG is dead, leave it alone now I say, Seems like they are doing this to spite Kojima and to milk the MG brand with any game that comes out after this, but go right ahead, support these no good unfair self righteous pricks that are running the show at Konami and will no doubt take advantage of young willing development talent to their dirty work.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:24 pm

AG... Jesus man ](*,)

See, this is exactly your problem. You look at things from an entirely too emotional perspective, and you end up missing the point.
I didn't say "I look forward to seeing what they do with MGS! Maybe it'll be good! I'm totally buying it!"
I said "If they make a good game, politics don't mean a thing."
I don't necessarily have faith that they're going to make anything worthwhile. But if they do, and people actually keep to this dumb idea of "boycotting" anything the company makes, then the audience misses out just as much as the company. A good game is a good game, as I said, and that has nothing to do with company politics.

As for your other points, you should know as well as anyone that sometimes when you need a job, you have to take what you can get. Maybe Konami isn't the most desirable company to work for right now, but that doesn't mean they might not stumble upon some great, undiscovered talent. Some of the most talented creative people in history were, at many points, in desperate need of work. And sometimes out of that desperation, people end up doing the best work of their lives. Sometimes you do good work for douchebags, and eventually you gain the clout to move out from under them, same as any industry.

Again, I'm speaking hypothetically. I'm not saying that this stuff will happen, or even that it's likely (it isn't). I'm saying that if it does happen, and Konami actually produces something great, then setting out to "boycott" them is just a dumb, childish thing to do that doesn't work out to anyone's benefit in the end.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Im not coming from any emotional state with my opinion, pure logic with an emphasis on respect for the original creators and their vision. BUT if I did not understand where you were coming from in the first place, and im sure you are not entirely sure where I am coming from exactly either, and with the whole trying to understand someones intent via text on a screen barrier, its probably best we just agree to disagree.

But I will not support a developer that has treated a game creator that I love dearly and have enjoyed his creations for years, when he was just trying to do the best thing for those creations. As one artist to another I will say fuck the corporation every single time when it comes down to marketability/deadlines/forcing an artist to do things they arent comfortable with and dont agree with and its THEIR project when it ends in a situation like this.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Yeah, clearly not coming from an emotional place at all... :lol:
OL
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Its not. I dont see how you could possibly think it is. Enough OL, its not required that you understand, if you think you have some kind of superior opinion or mind set fine, you can think what ever you want. But its not appropriate for you to make it seem like its at my expense, stop it. I may think the things you say are just as ridiculous as you think mine are, you have your reasons for thinking what you think, I have mine, if you want to call me out about something make a logical post and give examples and explanations as to why, other wise I just think its bullshit you are pulling out of your ass, you are better than that, we can debate and express our feelings with out that stupid shit. I am not a perfect person just like everyone else, but my opinion on this is still my own, so please stop with your ill intented words targeting me in such a manner.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:55 pm

There's a universal way to boycott any company. It's called "don't buy any of their products".
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming