"Metal Gear Solid Creator Takes His Team and Leaves Konami"

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

"Metal Gear Solid Creator Takes His Team and Leaves Konami"

Postby Monkei » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Finally.

Hideo Kojima Reportedly Set to Open a New Studio as He Officially Exits Konami

Here's to you.

By Steven Strom
Metal Gear Solid creator and director Hideo Kojima has finally split with Konami, according to Japanese financial publication The Nikkei.

The report, translated from Japanese, explains that the developer will break with the publisher to begin a new studio. His new company will apparently retain an unspecified number of former Kojima Productions staff, and is in talks with Sony to develop for PlayStation platforms.

Kojima and Konami have been in conflict for the better part of 2015. It began publicly with the cancellation of the developer's Silent Hill project, and escalated as Konami removed Kojima's name from marketing material for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

At the Game Awards 2015 Kojima was said to have been barred by Konami from attending, and personally accepting any awards on behalf of his studio's latest release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/15/hideo-kojima-reportedly-set-to-open-a-new-studio-as-he-officially-exits-konami
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: "Metal Gear Solid Creator Takes His Team and Leaves Kona

Postby Mr357 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:33 pm

It's been said plenty of times, but fuck Konami.

I hope Kojima can somehow get the rights to his older IP's, like Snatcher, Policenauts, or Zone of the Enders, but that's likely a pipe dream. Surely he'll make something great though.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:57 pm

It's best if he moved on and did something new.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Axm » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Only thing missing now is a kickstarter link.

Axm has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Mr357, Rakim
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:49 pm

Cannot wait to see what he will do next. One can only speculate as to what he may do. I am glad he has the chance to do something other than Metal Gear.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:09 am

I will say I love his back-catalog of work and will always respect him for having done those things, but I can't say I'm automatically excited for just anything that he does next.
I think he now has something to prove. He had the talent for making amazing stories in the past, but now MGSV has shown that he's completely capable of faltering in that department. And even MGS4 was pretty weak and thrown together for the grand majority of it, while Peace Walker was just kind of passable. The last great story we worked on was probably MGS3 (unless I'm forgetting something major) and that was over ten years ago.
And now he has to figure out how to work without the ridiculous budgets that he was able to pull out of a big company like Konami for so many years, so a triple-A sense of flash and polish probably isn't going to be able to hold up his next project.
Does he still have any lower-budget, yet still compelling ideas in him?
I'm certainly interested and intrigued in seeing what he comes out with next, but looking at it a little more logically, I'm certainly not frothing at the mouth for it. He needs to show now that he's still got some actual creativity and ingenuity in him, something that doesn't require a top-of-the-line amount of money and development time. I am curious, whatever the case.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:14 am

DECEMBER 15, 2015
KOJIMA AND SONY OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP
Kojima Productions returns to make a PlayStation game.

BY MITCH DYER
Sony has announced a partnership with Kojima Productions, the new development home of Hideo Kojima, which will create a new game for PlayStation platforms.

Kojima's contract with Konami terminated today, December 15.
Speculation out of Japan earlier today asserted that Kojima was indeed officially out of Konami, ready to open a new studio, and partnering with Sony.
Developing...

Source: IGN

So he probably won't get that crazy Konami money again, but he won't have to work with a budget of five million crowdfunded dollars either.

OL is right though, we'll have to wait and see how it turns out. Would be nice if this turned out to be Silent Hills with a new name, with Del Toro joining in again and everything. People would get hyped, and probably rightfully so.
Something Zone of the Enders like would be great, too.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rakim » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:41 am

phpBB [video]

Kojima looking cool after finally being freed. And I had no clue that one Sony guy spoke the nihongoz.

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, NeoShredder
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:48 am

Rakim wrote:
phpBB [video]

Kojima looking cool after finally being freed. And I had no clue that one Sony guy spoke the nihongoz.

Ya and his hatsuon aint bad either. I bet he practiced for when he was looking dead ass at Kojima for 10 seconds strait.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:25 am

Rakim wrote:
phpBB [video]

Aw cool! So it's Kojima Productions again.

After so many years of being tied up in the Metal Gear lore I'm really excited to see what Kojima can do with a new IP at this stage of his career.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Amir » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:18 am

Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:35 am

I had a feeling some one would make a contract with him, hes far too big and relevant and just put out a highly reviewed and successful game, there was no way he would have to resort to kick starter or build from the ground up. So it looks like we can put big budget issues to rest, I think its safe to say he will be working on more AAA games. Also like that everything is happening so quickly, so the wound from Konami can be forgotten sooner rather than later, great news!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:30 pm

shredingskin wrote: Kojima KS or Sony first party.

To be honest, good for him. He wanted to stop MGS after 2.

Now we can see more of what he really wants to do.

Yes, said it the day of those awards he couldn't attend.

Good for him, he's one of the minds that really know videogames, is creative and tries to break the mold.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:02 pm

I want another cyberpunk game off him for selfish reasons but now it'll be great to see him do something new again after doing Metal Gear for so long.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:50 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:So it looks like we can put big budget issues to rest, I think its safe to say he will be working on more AAA games.

Yeah, it's too bad. Honestly, I was far more interested in seeing if he could do something small again, something that would actually require some personality and depth of story. MGSV skirted by on high production values. I wanted to see him lose that benefit and be forced to bring his real, legitimate creative A-game, if it's even still there. I don't honestly think we'll ever see another Snatcher-level masterpiece if he's forever free to spend as much money as he likes.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming