[Solved] Shenmue 2 Charcter Swapping + GDI DiscBooting

(Modding and other series related projects)

[Solved] Shenmue 2 Charcter Swapping + GDI DiscBooting

Postby ReeceKun » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:56 am

For Shenmue 1, I used the method outlined in the video
https://sites.google.com/site/shenmuemo ... g-tutorial
I used 'shenmue2xboxswap.jar' and everything worked fine.

I am trying to do the exact same thing for Shenmue 2 but when using binhack32 it doesnt recognise the ip.bin, if I skip that step and just use bootmake the CDI doesnt boot at all

I am not trying to make physical discs just CDI/GDI images that will run with NULL DC

The original source files are from GDI's that I used jc-gdrom-explorer-v1.6 to extract the core files and ip.bin which works for Shenmue1 but not Shenmue2
Last edited by ReeceKun on Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Re: Is there a Charcter Swapping/DiscBooting Shenmue 2 Tutor

Postby Sappharad » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:24 am

ReeceKun wrote:I am not trying to make physical discs just CDI images that will run with NULL DC

The original source files are from GDI's that I used jc-gdrom-explorer-v1.6 to extract the core files and ip.bin which works for Shenmue1 but not Shenmue2

If you don't need a CDI, can you just use GDIBuilder then? You provide it with the folder of extracted/modified files, along with track04.raw and track05.raw, it will create track03.bin and track06.bin for you and update a .gdi file if it already exists in the folder. In other words, make a copy of your GDI and use GDIBuilder to overwrite the tracks in the existing GDI.

Yes, it's possible to do what you originally asked (creating a CDI of Shenmue 2 bootable in NULLDC) but it's more complicated than Shenmue 1 because you need data in both the 1st and 2nd session of the disc. I'm not sure if there are any tools that will help you do it all in one step. I can give you complicated instructions that require using 3 different programs and hex editor to build a working CDI manually, but based on your needs it sounds like building a GDI would work fine?

Sappharad has received a thanks from: ReeceKun
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Is there a Charcter Swapping/DiscBooting Shenmue 2 Tutor

Postby ReeceKun » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:38 am

Sappharad wrote:
ReeceKun wrote:I am not trying to make physical discs just CDI images that will run with NULL DC

If you don't need a CDI, can you just use GDIBuilder then? You provide it with the folder of extracted/modified files, along with track04.raw and track05.raw, it will create track03.bin and track06.bin for you and update a .gdi file if it already exists in the folder. In other words, make a copy of your GDI and use GDIBuilder to overwrite the tracks in the existing GDI.

Yes, it's possible to do what you originally asked (creating a CDI of Shenmue 2 bootable in NULLDC) but it's more complicated than Shenmue 1 because you need data in both the 1st and 2nd session of the disc. I'm not sure if there are any tools that will help you do it all in one step. I can give you complicated instructions that require using 3 different programs and hex editor to build a working CDI manually, but based on your needs it sounds like building a GDI would work fine?

I will give it a go and report back

EDIT: It works for Shenmue 1 & 2!
EDIT2: I cant compile the ShenmueBeta 0.400 into a bootable GDI
(I think the IP.Bin needs to match the 1st_Read.bin to boot or be recognised by binhack32.exe)

Is there a GDI dump of ShenmueBeta 0.400?
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Return to Community Projects