It really not going to be Open World if fails to reach 10M?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

It really not going to be Open World if fails to reach 10M?

Postby delvec19 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:07 pm

Wasn't that pretty much the whole point of Shenmue? Ability the move freely and explore on your own while you investigated your father's murder?

Do you think Yu just said this just to make more money? How would a Shenmue game even work without Open World?
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Re: It really not going to be Open World if fails to reach 1

Postby Jibby » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:51 pm

I think by open world he meant seamlessly exploring the game map with very few loading screens. Not the non-linear aspect of the game.
Shenmue I and II were open world but just had loading transitions between areas. I'm assuming that this is what Shenmue III will be like.

Welcome to the Dojo by the way :D
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby johnvivant » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:51 pm

Suzuki understands that open-world gameplay is a fundamental aspect of the shenmue experience and something that fans are most looking forward to (along with the story). i'm pretty confident that something similar to shenmue 1 in terms of size and depth can be achieved, even with the current budget.

the recent interview in china seemed to imply that suzuki believes he can stretch the budget further than he originally anticipated anyway, which is good news.

i think we have to appreciate that compromises may have to be made in accordance with the restrictions of the budget. paypal is still open so the final budget could still potentially increase and allow for a richer open world. i really wouldn't worry too much about it.
whatever happens at least 'the story will go on.' - which is pretty amazing, and a lot better than almost anyone was expecting.

its a matter of waiting and seeing. there is 2 full years ahead of us, and inevitably there will be loads of new info on the way. i can't wait to see some screens shots of the villages.

johnvivant has received 3 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, punkmanced, VukBZ2005
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:56 pm

Yu never said "Shenmue III won't be open world unless we hit 10M".

Obviously the bigger the budget the more complex the open world can be.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby VukBZ2005 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:54 pm

Honestly, I think the lack of a massive budget will be a sort of test for Suzuki. For the first time, he will be working without significant financial resources in the form of an independent gaming studio to produce something of value.

If he is the radical financial thinker some say he is, he'll be able to produce something that blows away the previous two games on time and below budget.

What makes me confident about his abilities in that field so far is how responsive he has been with regard to the community, i.e., the hiring of Kid Nocon. That shows that he is willing to bring in people that (a) have a real connection to both it [the community] and the series, (b) have a real handle on the Unreal 4 engine and (c) have shown that they are able to do amazing things while lacking in financial resources.

VukBZ2005 has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Peter
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:26 pm

Yu Suzuki said he will make the village the size of Dobuita. Is the harbor bigger than Dobuita?
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby James Brown » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:26 am

Yeah he was also really surprised at the unreal engine, saying that he feels anyone could make a game these days if they wanted to, which tells me that he's finding the engine alot easier than he thought to use, so maybe alot of what he used to have to put time and money into back in the Dreamcast days is no longer the case and so he is capable of giving us more game for the same budget?
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby blacktorn » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:12 pm

James Brown wrote: Yeah he was also really surprised at the unreal engine, saying that he feels anyone could make a game these days if they wanted to, which tells me that he's finding the engine alot easier than he thought to use, so maybe alot of what he used to have to put time and money into back in the Dreamcast days is no longer the case and so he is capable of giving us more game for the same budget?

That is exactly what i was thinking, Unreal Engine 4 is already a well established and supported engine and multiple titles have already been released using it, it's a far cry from Yu starting from scratch on the dreamcast and developing new technologies that hadn't been developed before,the foundations are already there.

If shenmue 3 only ends up being roughly the same size as shenmue 1 then let's hope they can focus on making it as detailed and interesting as possible,from what we have already seen it seems to be looking quite good already and with 2 years to go the engine is only going to get better and more optimized ,the main thing i'd hope for is Epic adding a form of Global Illumination like FFXV will use,i think it makes a pretty substantial impact on everything in the game world.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:21 pm

delvec19 wrote: Wasn't that pretty much the whole point of Shenmue? Ability the move freely and explore on your own while you investigated your father's murder?

Do you think Yu just said this just to make more money? How would a Shenmue game even work without Open World?

That quote is in relation to the magic maze goal I believe, which only impacts the forest area outside Bailu Village. We know Shenmue 3 is going to have larger areas than Bailu Village, with Chobu being touted as the place where the traditional Shenmue experience lies.

So yes, we're still getting the same kind of open world experience the original games provided us even without the 10 million mark.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Shenmue III