Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Yokosuka » Wed May 04, 2016 10:24 am

The extra funding is already here: Sony will help the development (publishing, dev milestones, advertising, etc). http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-poin ... 0-6426535/

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 am

Yokosuka wrote: The extra funding is already here: Sony will help the development (publishing, dev milestones, advertising, etc). http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-poin ... 0-6426535/

Yes, that's a fact.

What I'm curious about is if (provided Shenmue 3 really is a Sony exclusive on console market) the exclusivity means bigger plans from Sony concerning the Shenmue franchise.
To be perfectly clear, will Sony back up and help YsNet for Shenmue 4?
If Shenmue HD eventually happens, that would mean that yes, there is a triangular plan composed of YsNet, Sega and Sony for the rebirth of the franchise (and potentially Shibuya for the PC version).

That may appear obvious, but there is so much at stake for the future of the franchise...
The Yakuza Serie is Sony exclusive right?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed May 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Kiske wrote:The Yakuza Serie is Sony exclusive right?

For practical reasons more than political, I think. The audience for Japan-centric games is seen as minimal on Xbox compared to rival platforms, and even their attempt to expand onto Wii U was met with little enthusiasm.

These factors may have played a part in Shenmue's direction as well.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed May 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Yokosuka wrote:The extra funding is already here: Sony will help the development (publishing, dev milestones, advertising, etc). http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-poin ... 0-6426535/

Yeah, that part's really cool! To elaborate I just meant it as if Sony were to provide extra EXTRA funding, perhaps so that YS.net can reach their 11 million + milestone plans...

Also, I noticed that #AskSEGA is a thing that they've been doing recently. Has anyone tweeted about S1&2 with the hashtag? They teased some suprises of dreamcast-related ports to come down the line (this is from the SEGA Europe youtube channel). Hopefully E3 will reveal more!

What do you think? This is news to me.
https://youtu.be/FdyAgPDe9rI

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Kiske
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Yokosuka wrote: The extra funding is already here: Sony will help the development (publishing, dev milestones, advertising, etc). http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-poin ... 0-6426535/

It's not strictly accurate that they're helping fund development. They're offsetting other costs so more money from KS, YSnet, Shibuya Productions, etc, can be dedicated towards development.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Kiske wrote: In your opinion, did Cédric Biscay say too much this time?

Q: Why not launch a crowdfunding for the Xbox One version? It's a shame to do without 20 million of players.

A: The PS4 has console exclusivity.

Q: Did Sony buy the exclusivity? The Kickstarter FAQ's says Xbox One version is not impossible.

If true/confirmed, what could a strong Sony PS4 exclusivity mean for the future (and the past) of the Shenmue franchise?

And on this subject, Sony didn't buy exclusivity. That kind of deal is dying out, because it doesn't make sense for the console manufacturer or the developer. What's more common is to take limited exclusivity for helping with marketing, distribution, etc.

The lack of an Xbox One version is more likely down to limited development resources, and the fact that Cedric and Yu approached Microsoft prior to the KS and got given the cold shoulder.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu May 05, 2016 9:54 pm

Spaghetti wrote:

Q: Why not launch a crowdfunding for the Xbox One version? It's a shame to do without 20 million of players.

Q: Did Sony buy the exclusivity? The Kickstarter FAQ's says Xbox One version is not impossible.

If true/confirmed, what could a strong Sony PS4 exclusivity mean for the future (and the past) of the Shenmue franchise?

And on this subject, Sony didn't buy exclusivity. That kind of deal is dying out, because it doesn't make sense for the console manufacturer or the developer. What's more common is to take limited exclusivity for helping with marketing, distribution, etc.

The lack of an Xbox One version is more likely down to limited development resources, and the fact that Cedric and Yu approached Microsoft prior to the KS and got given the cold shoulder.

Ah, that gives a fresher perspective on the exclusive stance, didn't quite know it was something that was waning.

I hope an Xbox One port is something that they consider down the line if they see potential in doing so or if it were a cost effective/easy thing for them to do...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SMDzero » Thu May 05, 2016 10:22 pm

Shenmue 3 is indeed not possible on Xbox One.

Did we see the stunning Bailu Village graphics at Monaco?

There's no way the underpowered Xbox One could handle graphics of those caliber.

If Shenmue 3 was on Xbox One, it would be 30fps, run at 720p, and have screen tearing.
Last edited by SMDzero on Thu May 05, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby GYO6161 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:25 pm

SMDzero wrote: Shenmue 3 is indeed not possible of Xbox One.

Did we see the stunning Bailu Village graphics at Monaco?

There's no way the underpowered Xbox One could handle graphics of those caliber.

If Shenmue 3 was on Xbox One, it would be 30fps, run at 720p, and have screen tearing.

But da cloud and DX12 tho! :---) :---) :---) :mrgreen:
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:50 am

Honestly... to hell with microsoft! They had their chanses! Like over a decade. Also Yu Suzuki contacted them. Where were they? Busy making halo 26?

Personally there's not a single title on xbox that I'm interested in. And after Shenmue 3 Kickstarter I don't care about it at all.
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ziming » Fri May 06, 2016 3:59 pm

Yu Suzuki Interview. On Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. (Released in May 9.)
https://twitter.com/da34ss/status/728670466324336640

Ziming has received 6 thanks from: Amir, johnvivant, Kiske, Mr357, Switch, Yokosuka
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby SMDzero » Fri May 06, 2016 9:25 pm

-=SPZ=-47 wrote:

Honestly... to hell with microsoft! They had their chanses! Like over a decade. Also Yu Suzuki contacted them. Where were they? Busy making halo 26?

Personally there's not a single title on xbox that I'm interested in. And after Shenmue 3 Kickstarter I don't care about it at all.

Microsoft was smart to pass on he title... Shenmue has proven to bomb on Xbox.

Xbox gamers by and large aren't the sort that can appreciate experimental games like Shenmue.

Show an Xbox gamer a game where your character doesn't have a gun and the object isn't to kill everyone and he will not know what to do.

Xbox gamers like xtreme continuous action type games.. not Shenmue.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Switch » Fri May 06, 2016 9:26 pm

Ziming wrote: Yu Suzuki Interview. On Bessatsu Shonen Magazine. (Released in May 9.)
https://twitter.com/da34ss/status/728670466324336640

Here's a translation of the introduction. Hopefully we can get hold of the full article once it comes out. The tweet also mentions it will cover topics like Suzuki's experience with the Apple II and automated driving.
We Talk With a Gaming Legend!
The Game the World Eagerly Awaits, Shenmue III, is in Development!

Game Creator Yu Suzuki Envisions the Future for the Game Industry

Yu Suzuki developed the Shenmue series for the home console from 1999 through to 2001, and is a game creator respected by video game fans and game developers the world over. As Suzuki works with youthful enthusiasm on his latest game, Shenmue III, reporter Ikeda from the MMR* investigation team has carried out this personal interview. Suzuki speaks with passion about Shenmue III and the Japan game industry.

* MMR=Magazine Mystery Reportage, a manga series involving investigation of mysteries and the unknown.

Switch has received 4 thanks from: Amir, Giorgio, johnvivant, Let's Get Sweaty
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat May 07, 2016 7:41 pm

SMDzero wrote:
-=SPZ=-47 wrote:

Microsoft was smart to pass on he title... Shenmue has proven to bomb on Xbox.

Xbox gamers by and large aren't the sort that can appreciate experimental games like Shenmue.

Show an Xbox gamer a game where your character doesn't have a gun and the object isn't to kill everyone and he will not know what to do.

Xbox gamers like xtreme continuous action type games.. not Shenmue.

Not sure if i completely agree with this statement. Sure Shenmue 2x commercially bombed, but the original xbox hardly had much traction in terms of install-base at the time. Factor in that basically no game for xbox OG sold well outside of halo. I actually chose an xbox OG over ps2 for shenmue 2, no other reason, and i was like 15.

As for console demographic, I'd have to disagree further. Sure, there was a difference in gamers tastes and needs back in the 6th gen era, but there's hardly a difference between xbox one and ps4 gamers now, especially since console parity is closer than ever and the mass market/audiences have grown. You could make a case for Japanese gamer enthusiasts leaning towards PS4 but this 'dude-bro' image that you have for xbox gamers definitely isn't the case and I'm sure there's just as many of them for ps4. Don't forget that the likes of xbla was what curated storefront for independent and unique titles.

Anyway tl;dr Shenmue 3 deserved a second consideration for MS, and by the looks of things Phil Spencer said he wanted to focus on first parties which is okay (even if really Cedric told us that they presented a low offer and unenthusiastically. I'm glad YS.NET took whatever decision lead to actually getting the game in a steady traction)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ziming » Sun May 08, 2016 4:33 pm

I have personally contacted Twitter user 'da34ss' and he'll share with us any important information from the interview. Once he contacts me with the info I'll forward it to Switch to translate.

https://twitter.com/da34ss/status/729371676253683712

*Edit* da34ss has provided us scans from the magazine interview. Now we wait for Switch. 8)

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: KidMarine, Kiske, Switch
Ziming
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III