Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Kiske » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:27 am

Peter wrote: Only halfway through the month. These updates get harder to wait for

If it can make you feel better, I think the "quiet" times are behind us and from now to the release of the game, every update will be like a gift for all the backers, with significant steps forwards in the development :)
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:42 am

I dunno, I think we have a bit of downtime still, until December. Then after that, I expect appearances throughout 2017. Magic, E3, TGS etc.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:05 am

I wonder how much of the game is complete now
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:07 am

SMDzero wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I don't know what anybody - devs or fans - would have to gain from the demo being released so early.

It's not really too early to have a demo be released less than a year before the drop date.....

I don't know about that, but certainly not all games seem to have vultures circling with sharpened bills, salivating for an excuse to portray them as falling short of expectations.

The more polished the demo can be, the less chance there'll be of yet another round of media bashings and misplaced I-told-you-so's from people whose fourteen years of gleeful naysaying was shown up in grand fashion last summer, to their seething resentment ever since.

...Sorry, getting a little carried away. :-#

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 am

From the producer's point of view, an early demo would be terrible idea. From the player's point of view, it might be a welcome appetizer and a sort of spoiler protection if the development follows a progression similar to the time when Shenmue 1 on magazine previews was barely close to the final version.

But the timing is one thing, the formal content is another. A limited Bailu to respect the chronology logic or a limited area of Choubu with all its benefits?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby mrandyk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:59 pm

For reference, What's Shenmue? came out in June of 1999 in Japan and the full game was released in December of 1999. June is as early as I can envision the demo being released - and that's assuming the December 2017 release date is met.

Random thought: putting the dates in the statement of above really brings my mind back to just how long this game has been in the making.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:36 pm

I think overall a demo will be good to build excitement about the project, and help players give feedback on the development, but I do agree with the sentiment that it does need a certain amount of polish in order to repel the people who outright want this game to fail, and stop them from setting the narrative.

I think, once we hear more about the demo, it'll be up to us to get ahead of the conversation and set the tone. I don't think that means hyping it up as the best thing since sliced bread, but I've noticed people are more receptive to Shenmue when you bill it as an alternative experience with unique concepts. It might be good to talk about the details of the environment, overall atmosphere, and wondering if we'll be allowed access to minigames such as fishing, etc.

Personally, I'm quite excited at the prospect of a Shenmue III preview.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Spaghetti wrote:people who outright want this game to fail

Why do such people even exist? Why!? How malicious and narrow minded can people be to want something like this?
I just cannot understand how someone could think like that, not grant us what we wanted for so long...
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Not exactly Shenmue related but there is a possibility we could see this "Orientalism" clickbait used towards Shenmue.

http://heatst.com/tech/vice-journo-accu ... sm_fb_post

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:19 pm

That's a new level of stupidity mixed with narcissism.

I can't believe they are from the same species.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mrandyk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:06 pm

BlueMue wrote:

Why do such people even exist? Why!? How malicious and narrow minded can people be to want something like this?
I just cannot understand how someone could think like that, not grant us what we wanted for so long...

It's easier to understand with Shenmue 3, but still disappointing. There are miserable people desperate for news of a controversy or high profile sham so there is media that will create one for them, even if it's entirely unfounded.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:21 pm

BlueMue wrote:

Not saying it's all of its fans but it could be some Half Life fans that are salty that we got our game and they still haven't gotten theirs. Though i'm sure this is a big minority of HL3 fans but, i've seen those types roaming around in messages boards.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby shredingskin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 pm

I don't think gamers are the ones that want the game game to fail, at most people would go "too much hype" and that's it.

The media is the one that would be all over a shenmue fiasco just to get some clicks.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Sappharad » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:53 pm

Peter wrote: I dunno, I think we have a bit of downtime still, until December. Then after that, I expect appearances throughout 2017. Magic, E3, TGS etc.

On a related note, Sony should be announcing PSX 2016 very soon. PSX 2015 was announced on August 14th last year. Last year it was in San Francisco, the year before it was in Vegas. There aren't any rumors yet of where it will be held this year although SFO is convenient for Sony since they're based out of that area.

Did anyone go last year? Last year brought several announcements that interested me, so I'm slightly considering the feasibility of attending in case there's something exciting in the works. (Even if I don't, I'll stream it since last years was good.)
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:26 pm

Peter wrote: I dunno, I think we have a bit of downtime still, until December. Then after that, I expect appearances throughout 2017. Magic, E3, TGS etc.

Like my previous assessment: that 2016 was always going to be the "quiet year".

We had 2015 which was YUUGE with Shenmue 3' s announcement, the kickstarter, stretch goals reveals, interviews, the paypal and those first bits of development news.

Of course, 2017 will see the demo, a trader at E3 and the ultimate release!

But 2016..... yeah not so much so see here folks... Monaco aside.....
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III