Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:42 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:Perhaps, but didn't Biscay say not to really expect anything substantial until Magic Monaco 2017?

He's also said not to expect anything before December, when asked about new footage of Shenmue 3. Although that, of course, doesn't promise there'll actually be anything in December.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:43 pm

*fingers crossed*

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:05 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:
Kiske wrote:Image

Saturday, December 3rd... I have the feeling this is a date we shouldn't (and won't) forget.
And not only because it's #SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon.

Perhaps, but didn't Biscay say not to really expect anything substantial until Magic Monaco 2017?

Really?

When the PSX happens, we'll be one year before the initial release date. New footage or not, the momentum will get bigger from that point and definitely break 10 months of silence, phew!
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:He's also said not to expect anything before December, when asked about new footage of Shenmue 3. Although that, of course, doesn't promise there'll actually be anything in December.

Of course, we now know some cool stuff is brewing at YSnet thanks to some guarded comments from those who were at the KS dinner.

It's always a good idea to keep your bets hedged... but maybe December might be the time for Shenmue III to emerge for a teaser.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:31 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote:
Kiske wrote:Image

Saturday, December 3rd... I have the feeling this is a date we shouldn't (and won't) forget.
And not only because it's #SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon.

Perhaps, but didn't Biscay say not to really expect anything substantial until Magic Monaco 2017?

Really?

When the PSX happens, we'll be one year before the initial release date. New footage or not, the momentum will get bigger from that point and definitely break 10 months of silence, phew!

Hopefully if it all goes to plan, but this is the games industry after all, and there may still be delays for this news/obstacles/etc. I assume YS.net will be doing what's best but in the wake of news from other delayed games like bloodstained getting delayed by a year (despite a well received demo etc), it wouldn't surprise me. I can see your pov/frustration but I prefer they wait until they're confident to show and have a clear strategy for the delivery of news for the months ahead before release. I think showing too much early with there still being a large chunk of dev left at an event like this would do more harm than good for a game like Shenmue 3 imo (e.g. FF versus XIII/FFXV and MGSV).

I'll be there with you all when it happens, I think it's just best to expect anything to happen. If nothing turns up, no harm done, right? It's not like we lose. I know they've said nothing on any potential delays but it may still be too early for them to say anything about it at this time.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:He's also said not to expect anything before December, when asked about new footage of Shenmue 3. Although that, of course, doesn't promise there'll actually be anything in December.

Of course, we now know some cool stuff is brewing at YSnet thanks to some guarded comments from those who were at the KS dinner.

It's always a good idea to keep your bets hedged... but maybe December might be the time for Shenmue III to emerge for a teaser.

A teaser might be cool I suppose, it's just got to be different to the types of teasers we got during the kickstarter months. I imagine something along the lines of seeing a brief video of some walking, gameplay and cutscenes would fare well.

Also, I'm aware of the kickstarter dinners that happened thanks to twitter but wasn't aware that they had exclusive intel on that stuff, as I haven't seen anyones comment here pertaining to it. Damn I bet it's just Tapatalk being lame when it comes to showing thread updates... :/

FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:50 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:A teaser might be cool I suppose, it's just got to be different to the types of teasers we got during the kickstarter months. I imagine something along the lines of seeing a brief video of some walking, gameplay and cutscenes would fare well.

Also, I'm aware of the kickstarter dinners that happened thanks to twitter but wasn't aware that they had exclusive intel on that stuff, as I haven't seen anyones comment here pertaining to it. Damn I bet it's just Tapatalk being lame when it comes to showing thread updates... :/

They're likely under a hardcore NDA, but the guy making the Shenmue documentary mentions it very briefly in the Chasing Shenmue video feature, and Peter made a comment in the Random Shenmue Thoughts thread on page... 69 I believe. Just something in passing.

All we really know is that they saw cool stuff that may/may not be shown sometime in the future. They and the other KS dinner backers are in a very privileged position to know more about Shenmue III than anybody else outside of the development team.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:34 am

Shemmue 3 demo review

What must it be like to witness history? Never before in the history of videogames, has a director who “left” a game series during production been given the opportunity to revisit that cancelled sequel nearly 15 years later and complete his original vision! It may sound a bit melodramatic but history was made recently with a playable demo of Shenmue III and I got to play it on a huge 4K screen at Playstation Experience

Yu Suzuki, as any “Shenmue” fan knows, developed Shenmue and Shenmue II at the same time from a huge 11 chapter script – but as budget and hostilities with Sega and AM2 increased, all effort was focused on getting “Shenmue I” finished with the idea that they all would revisit Shenmue II. Suzuki was able to develop roughly 75 percent of Shenmue II, completed leaving an unfinished ending. When Shenmue I was released in 1998, it was a commercial success. So when the Suzuki went back to finish the Shenmue saga with a 3rd installment, it was decided that the project would not move forward.

Suzuki himself joked after the Shenmue II Japanese launch that “if ‘Shenmue I’ had been a flop Sega would have made me finish Shenmue as punishment I would have done ‘Shenmue III,’ but as it turned into an immediate success Sega decided to cut their losses and they didn’t need me anymore” – Suzuki makes no secret that he had a very difficult relationship with the Sega all through the production of “Shenmue.” When Shenmue 3 was cancelled Suzuki caulked it up to one of those “political things” and moved on and left Shenmue behind.

However, over the ensuing years there have been many hints at what Yu Suzuki's completed vision of Shenmue III was and how it differed from the open world games that were released after it. Many different rumors & fan films of the sequel and some of the “lost” Shenmue III screenshots had been released over the years. But, sadly it looked as if Shenmue III would remain a ‘what could have been’ thing – that is until now!

This past thursday night I was lucky enough to attend the world premiere of Shenmue III – billed as “The Version You Have Never Seen.” If you think you have seen all of Shenmue, think again!

The game has been restored by Yu Suzuki himself, using the original Shenmue III game script. Once Sega gave Suzuki the green light to move forward with the proposed Shenmue III, he traveled to his old abandoned offices where the games were created. Suzuki went on an Indiana Jones-like quest to dig through the drawers and cabinets, ultimately returning with six tons of concept art and game design maps originally intended for the “Shenmue III” production. “The game has been completely re-asembled not only to incorporate these lost game maps, but to complete the original story,” says Suzuki.

The result of this once in a lifetime venture was shown on the big screen for the first time at the Playstation Experience event. Many “Shenmue” celebs were there: Corey Marshall, Eric Kelso, Lisle Wilkerson, and even Peter Moore to name just a few! I was amazed how tall Corey Marshall was in person and how much he looks like Ryo.

SPOILER WARNING!

The game is dedicated lovingly to all the fans and features an all-new opening sequence. In the unfinished Shenmue II, the game abruptly ends as soon as 2 giant mirrors are revealed in a mysterious cave. In Shenmue III, the game opens with a fight between Ryo and Lan Di right there in the cave! Shenmue III opens as originally intended with a recap of the events of “Shenmue I” and "Shenmue II" finishing up with Ryo and Shenhua pushing the magic sword into the pedestal, floating into the air, and revealing the two giant mirrors.

The game follows with another new sequence where Ryo and Shenhua get an assignment to investigate a string of cattle robberies in Choubu. This new sequence rounds out with Shenhua teasing Ryo with revenge-this and revenge-that, suspecting Ryo is on a destructive path, and to prove her point, leaps out of a Tulou window in Baisha knowing Ryo must choose save her instead of fighting Lan Di...only to have Ryo perform a super-shadow step rescue resulting in Shenhua landing unharmed on a fruit stand. When Shenhua looks up she sees Ryo up in the window still fighting Lan Di in disbelief, how could he be do this? The scene is very funny and sad.

Another nice sequence involves the reveal of Ryo's Chi Energy superpowers at a Choubu martial arts school. This sequence never made it officially to AM2's desks, the FMV' concept-art storyboards drawn by Suzuki himself are used here, these storyboards are cut together with bailey wire and spit to complete the sequence. Ryo's storyboards show him looking more like Akira from Virtua FIghter . Shenhua's storyboards, apparently drawn many months later, features her with a Tibetan look. This sequence is very rough obviously, but nevertheless, the sequence is charming, the interplay between Ryo and Shenhua is undeniable and one can finally see how Ryo turns into a legendary Dragon Ball Z martial arts master with superpowers.

There is an all new ending as well, gone is the half-assed cliffhanger which ended Shenmue II (which is explained away as a dream anyway). Back is the original ending intended for Shenmue 3, a time travel ending. Which as Yu Suzuki points out was the original ending intended for Shenmue; Ryo uses his newfound Chi powers to turn back time to before his father was killed. He notes that while developing Shenmue II they did not have a real ending, and that when the decision was made to postpone Shenmue III indefinitely, the idea was suggested to create an esoteric floating sword ending to end Shenmue II and worry about III’s ending later.

We are treated to many new sequences throughout the entire game and all are a rare treat. I would suggest you replay Shenmue I and II first before playing Shenmue III to really get the full effect of the game. The most notable additions to this game are the 15 minutes of never before seen footage of Niao Sun. Now restored, these Niao Sun scenes in the Guilin forrest deepen the revenge narrartive. During the Shenmue premier, Niao Sun's artwork could be scene even though her scenes were cut from Shenmue II to save money. Suzuki remarked , “who would cut a great character like Niao Sun out of the game?” Thankfully this time out, the Niao Sun is back and as menacing as she was intended to be in Shenmue II.

In the end, it was a rare treat to sit and play a bit of videogame history in the making, but the game is by no means perfect. The new gameplay designs seem a bit low end, but thinking in the mid 1990’s – early 2000's technology, do nicely, and some new sequences the use of storyboards are obvious if looked at closely. The game runs a bit choppy, due to the fact that the game was rushed and never optimized on Unreal Engine 4, and as Suzuki said was never given the chance to fully complete 100 percent of Shenmue III. To quote Suzuki, “all of us will now have the opportunity to play ‘Shenmue III’ the way it was originally written and directed, with the exception of some gameplay and story sequences that we could not go back and complete.”

It was great to see Corey Marshall as Ryo use that famous "have you seen sailors?" line in the game again. “It’s been an incredible experience – almost like going back in time to finish a game series I loved, as did the fans. I hope you enjoy the game as much as I have enjoyed seeing ‘Shenmue III’ restored as it was originally conceived and intended to be played,” Suzuki added.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:40 am

PSX isn't for almost two months. Dislike.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Some of the CD sample tracks on Ryuji Iuchi's SoundCloud are great and feel like an extension of his Shenmue work.

I'm not sure if anybody posted it, but I'm pretty sure he uploaded another Shenmue III demo/test track there too.

https://soundcloud.com/ryujiiuchi/talking-in-moonlight

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: Mr357, SledgeNE, Yokosuka
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:42 am

Spaghetti wrote: Some of the CD sample tracks on Ryuji Iuchi's SoundCloud are great and feel like an extension of his Shenmue work.

I'm not sure if anybody posted it, but I'm pretty sure he uploaded another Shenmue III demo/test track there too.

https://soundcloud.com/ryujiiuchi/talking-in-moonlight

Thanks for the link! It has amazing songs.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby redline » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:19 am

ive noticed a few negative stories about shenmue 3 on the web, saying the game is going to be a flop.

the game isnt even out yet.. :|
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:15 am

Some people spent 14 years pointing and laughing at anyone who thought Shenmue III could still happen. Of course they're hoping it will flop. It's the only way they can save face without - gulp! - admitting they were wrong.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:23 am

For those who pledged to have your name appear in the credits, are you going to use your real name, Shenmue Dojo username, or a different name altogether?

I'm in two minds, personally; I was thinking of [first name] "ShenGCH" [last name], but I value anonymity so I'll have to make up my mind closer to release.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:53 am

ShenGCH wrote: For those who pledged to have your name appear in the credits, are you going to use your real name, Shenmue Dojo username, or a different name altogether?

I'm in two minds, personally; I was thinking of [first name] "ShenGCH" [last name], but I value anonymity so I'll have to make up my mind closer to release.

Since I've pledged twice at a "your name in the credits" tier, my idea is to put my two sons names (and last name).
This also means that I kind of want/need to put my name too... :mrgreen:

If the KS upgrade eventually comes, it may not happen but if there's no possibility for us backers, to raise our pledge, I'll definitely put another 100$ in the game for my name in the credits.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III