Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Verderame » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:19 am

sutoji wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
phpBB [video]

If that does not sound like Shenmue I don't know what does

A lot of midi OSTs from 80s/90s anime and videogames can perfectly fit in Shenmue, especialy the Showa era based ones.
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Have you an idea of the lead artist who provided inspiration for this generation of musicians including the Shenmue ones in Japan?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Verderame » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:42 am

I don't know exactly, but as a person who grew up in a country where anime is mainstream since about the late 70s i've seen a lot of stuff from that period during my childhood, and in some way now i'm really nostalgic about Showa era.

I think that one anime that could really fit here is Ranma, because from a lot of points of view it's basically Shenmue the Animation:

-Martial arts
-Late 80s
-Ranma and the (motherless) Tendos family living in an big old-fashioned house with a dojo
-Heavy Japanese/Chinese duality
-Lots of urban slice of life scenes
-A lot of Chinese classic culture
-Midi-based soundtrack inspired by mixed Chinese and Japanese influences

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

A lot of these tracks could actually be part of the Shenmue ost and nobody would notice the difference :D
Last edited by Verderame on Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verderame has received 3 thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado, VukBZ2005, Yokosuka
Verderame

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:37 am

Holy crap, Verderame! Those tracks truly are as Shenmue as it gets!

And now, after listening to them and after reading your quick description of Ranma's themes, I suddenly got very interesting in watching/reading Ranma.
I used to love anime in my teenage years, but have grown out of it and, to be honest, I kinda grew to despise anime in general. But Ranma seems like it just may be part of that 1% that I could still enjoy nowadays, as cynical 31-year-old man.
I mean, I've never even watched Ranma, but just listening to those tracks and seeing those tumbnails made me incredibly nostalgic. I guess I'll have to check it out.

By the way, Verderame (or anyone else here), have you watched the anime AND read the manga? If so, are there any considerable differences between one and the other? From my experience, manga is generally superior and more enjoyable (to me). But, of course, it won't have any of that lovely music.
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Verderame » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:35 am

Uh, well, i don't know about that. I mean, keep in mind that Ranma is way more comedic and a bit less grounded than something like Shenmue, with a ton of wacky characters, silly plotlines and some romantic stuff sprinkled here and there. I don't know exactly why you despise anime (i don't care about most of the post-early 2000s' ones too, honestly), but i guess you have to like japanese-flavoured comedy in order to enjoy it.

Personally, i really love it, all the characters are really likeable and i think it's actually pretty funny. In particular i love the anime version, it has a lot of that late 80s'/early 90s' charm (ie: no cheap cg bullshit shoved in it, no horrible, hyper-bright modern digital coloration, classy character design, fantastic syntethic music, etc), but i don't know how much of it can be enjoyed if watched today for the first time ever.
I also own a lot of the manga's books, and i like it too and it's probably funnier, but honestly even though i love Rumiko Takashi and most of her things i think it's very poorly drawn, and of course the fight scenes are better in motion anyway. I also enjoy the slower, more atmospheric pace.
The animated version is mostly faithful, with some occasional, notable differences, and in most cases i think it vastly wins over the manga one, but that's my opinion.

Anyway, i didn't want to shill Ranma here, it's just that i noticed a lot of coincidences with Shenmue :D

Verderame has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
Verderame

Postby ConanTheKing » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:31 pm

For the budget raised, I would have no problem if Shenmue was turned into a manga series or a text/graphic novel adventure game on Steam/PSN.

For me, I just need a conclusion to the story and I seriously doubt we will get a high quality AAA game.
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:28 am

I can't believe that I'll be 30 next year and will FINALLY be able to continue the saga. I first recall seeing the who's Nozomi ad horrible commercial notwithstanding; I was instantly hooked. I was 12 then in 2000. Its been one hell of a journey and looking forward to continuing the saga after III to its grand conclusion. Also if using real world time Ryo will be 50 next year!
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Chaikilla » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:22 pm

I wonder if Ryo will be faced with an impossible dilemma, one that tests his thirst for revenge. How far will he be willing to go in order to fulfill his wish? Would he be willing to kill for it? I'd love to see Ryo's resolve tested. I can Imagine a scenario where Niao Sun promises him a meeting with Lan Di, on the condition that he kills Ren, for example.

Hell, I wonder what Ryo's response would have been if the yellow head scout ordered Ryo to kill the three street fighters as opposed to simply defeating them.

Chaikilla has received 2 thanks from: Spaghetti, VukBZ2005
Chaikilla

Postby SledgeNE » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm

I have so much misfortune with my Router in the last time, i hope that my Internet-connection will have no disturbances in the time of gamescom and Shenmue III Update. I remember on E3 2015. I couldn't watch the News on www because of this problem. :mad:

I have no Smartphone to go to the internet.
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:33 am

Very interesting reads on Shenmue Master about real Guilin. I didn't know it rains so much in this region. The different political levels of the Chinese territory are also quite intriguing.

I had the initial idea to learn as less as possible about everything related to Shenmue for spoilers but I wonder if documenting the context is not better for gaming experience.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 am

I would like to see the Shenmue take on BJJ ?? Specially since Shenmue is quite a bit of MMA in itself.

But I guess takedowns and chokes would break the flow of the game a lot.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but Yu spoke about Ryo's desire for revenge fading at some stage in the story.

Now, there's a strong likelihood that Shenhua's father was killed. His absence from the stone pit, the north star flickering in the cave, the ominous letter he left for Shenhua in which he seems to, much like Iwao, have anticipated becoming a target for the Chiyoumen. Then we have the end credits of Shenmue 2 which have Niao Sun in the background behind Shenhua, with Lan DI behind Ryo. Along with the passport disc of Shenhua's model showing Niao sun reflected in Shenhua's eyes.

In other words, it's likely that Shenhua's father was killed by Niao Sun. That's a conclusion that many people have probably came to, I'm sure.

But I don't want to talk about that but rather the connection between Ryo and Shenhua and how the parallels in their respective stories may impact on Ryo's attitude towards revenge. I recall an interview where Yu spoke of Ryo's quest for revenge evolving into something else as the story goes on and I think Shenhua's attitude to her loss might quell his thirst for revenge.
Chaikilla

Postby Cyberman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Has anyone thought what background music will be used in the game?
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby KidMarine » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Assuming the series goes on past III, do you think we'll visit an urban area again like Wan Chai?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Cyberman wrote: Has anyone thought what background music will be used in the game?

Only around 20% of the music already produced for the series has been used so far, and Ryuji Iuchi is on board producing more.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III