Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:27 am

Knowing that Shenmue 3 will be released in 2019 and the PS5 and the new xbox will be launched in 2020 if rumors are true, Shenmue 4 will be create for these new consoles?

Another thing that "worries" me is the engine, will be Unreal engine 4 appropiate to make a Shenmue 4 with new generation graphics?

If Shenmue 3 has enough succeed, they will make use of Unreal engine 4 again so that they can use the "know how" and many material from 3 so the 4 would take less time to make it. Using another engine would be an error in my opinion.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Kyo_JP » Fri May 18, 2018 4:46 am

Hazuki00 wrote: Knowing that Shenmue 3 will be released in 2019 and the PS5 and the new xbox will be launched in 2020 if rumors are true, Shenmue 4 will be create for these new consoles?

Another thing that "worries" me is the engine, will be Unreal engine 4 appropiate to make a Shenmue 4 with new generation graphics?

If Shenmue 3 has enough succeed, they will make use of Unreal engine 4 again so that they can use the "know how" and many material from 3 so the 4 would take less time to make it. Using another engine would be an error in my opinion.

Inter generartional games don't take a big leap at the begining, so I think it would not be a problem. Also when a new console launches the "old" generation is still active for at least 2 or 3 years. For example, Metal Gear Solid V was released 2 years after PS4 and Xbox One launch on PS3-360 and the new consoles, and Sega has been releasing Yakuza and Persona on PS3 until Kiwami, 2 years ago, I think. So I am not worried about that. Also it makes no sense to make the jump to a new Engine (unless it is backed by Sega and they use Dragon Engine) when they have trillions of assets and mechanics to reuse

Kyo_JP has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:29 am

So maybe they could release Shenmue 4 either on PS4 and PS5!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri May 18, 2018 7:58 am

As it is, UE4 is already supporting technology that may be more advanced than what we'll see on theoretical next gen hardware. The engine won't be a problem.

Epic has been setting the stage for a lot of new technology in UE4 over the last year, for games and CG rendering for tv/film/adverts. It's basically eclipsed any need to be tied to console hardware for iteration.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am

Knowing that is a relief! They won't lose the hard work done until now!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Verderame » Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am

Also, it's very likely that both Ps5 and New Xbox will be full backward compatible, with even some kind of "boost mode" to improve old gen games.
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Elevensixty » Fri May 18, 2018 2:11 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Elevensixty wrote: I'm behind the news here- have other VAs been cast? Is it confirmed? Or maybe it hasn't been done yet and we're jumping the gun?

No cast outside Corey or Masaya Matsukaze are confirmed yet, but the Christmas update told us most main parts in either language had already been filled. Could be argued the returning characters aren't main parts, but I don't figure they'd remain uncast by the point where recording is due to imminently start.

Also we know a new Japanese Shenhua actress was cast without an announcement, so they're definitely not sat on their hands not getting this stuff done.

Thanks, I really am surprised a couple of them aren't returning, I remember Shenhua's actor had sort of retired/turned it down, which I can respect.. but why not bring the others in? I have doubts its an issue of budget, I can only imagine its a more complicated issue behind the scenes. I'm sure the VAs will be great, just surprised.
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri May 18, 2018 3:52 pm

I know I'm gonna freak out when I see in engine playable Shenmue III gameplay.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby dietsoap » Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: I know I'm gonna freak out when I see in engine playable Shenmue III gameplay.

this
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Elevensixty wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Elevensixty wrote: I'm behind the news here- have other VAs been cast? Is it confirmed? Or maybe it hasn't been done yet and we're jumping the gun?

No cast outside Corey or Masaya Matsukaze are confirmed yet, but the Christmas update told us most main parts in either language had already been filled. Could be argued the returning characters aren't main parts, but I don't figure they'd remain uncast by the point where recording is due to imminently start.

Also we know a new Japanese Shenhua actress was cast without an announcement, so they're definitely not sat on their hands not getting this stuff done.

Thanks, I really am surprised a couple of them aren't returning, I remember Shenhua's actor had sort of retired/turned it down, which I can respect.. but why not bring the others in? I have doubts its an issue of budget, I can only imagine its a more complicated issue behind the scenes.

I can see two possibilities:

1- Maybe Yu Suzuki doesn't know that they are available and ready to reprise their roles, it's been 16 years, so it's natural for him to assume that they would be hard to get a hold of.

2 - Or maybe Deep Silver was tasked with the localization and they were the ones who were responsible for the English VO castings, it's likely that they didn't care about having old voice actors reprising their roles, so they didn't bother contacting them.

To be honest, I'm not looking forward to hear some guy hamming it up as Chai or a Ren that sounds completely different, especially damning when the old voice actors are actually looking forward so much to reprise their roles.

I think the fanbase mobilizing to let Yu Suzuki and/or Deep Silver know that those three (Eric, Paul, and Lisle) are ready and available to return to Shenmue 3 might make a difference. I already contacted Team Yu about it and they've said they're looking into it. Hopefully something comes out of it.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby WildManofBorneo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Here is an update regarding the number of potential development staff working on Shenmue 3.

45 Persons - YS Net

Source: THQ Nordic

53 Persons - Neilo

Source: http://neilo.co.jp/recruit/

26 Persons - Lakysha Digital

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ts/2070199

124 Persons - Tentative Grand Total
WildManofBorneo

Postby Sappharad » Fri May 18, 2018 9:58 pm

WildManofBorneo wrote:45 Persons - YS Net
53 Persons - Neilo

Do you think some of that could just be overlap? THQ may have included staff contracted from Neilo into the YS Net numbers.

I always had the assumption that YsNet was fairly small and had none of their own development staff, but contracted out Neilo to do actual development. There are plenty of other indie 'game developers' in Japan that follow the same model. Comcept (Mighty No. 9, Bloodstained) uses Inti-creates for all of their development. Likewise Enhance Games (Rez Infinite, Lumines Remastered) has no developers and contracts Monstars for the development work. YsNet probably hired some of the people directly, like Suzuki-san's friend that did the blueprints for the Choubu inn, but I doubt they're big enough to have 45 full time staff directly under them?

On the other hand, maybe he's counting on the success of 3 so far that they believe they'll go on to start 4 right after 3 is done, so they're fine with hiring people directly? I don't really know how that works in Japan compared to the west, but usually if you want people temporarily you just contract them.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby WildManofBorneo » Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Sappharad wrote:
WildManofBorneo wrote:45 Persons - YS Net
53 Persons - Neilo

Do you think some of that could just be overlap? THQ may have included staff contracted from Neilo into the YS Net numbers.

I always had the assumption that YsNet was fairly small and had none of their own development staff, but contracted out Neilo to do actual development. There are plenty of other indie 'game developers' in Japan that follow the same model. Comcept (Mighty No. 9, Bloodstained) uses Inti-creates for all of their development. Likewise Enhance Games (Rez Infinite, Lumines Remastered) has no developers and contracts Monstars for the development work. YsNet probably hired some of the people directly, like Suzuki-san's friend that did the blueprints for the Choubu inn, but I doubt they're big enough to have 45 full time staff directly under them?

On the other hand, maybe he's counting on the success of 3 so far that they believe they'll go on to start 4 right after 3 is done, so they're fine with hiring people directly? I don't really know how that works in Japan compared to the west, but usually if you want people temporarily you just contract them.

We won't know the exact details of how YSNet is handling the development process until Shenmue 3 has been released. Yu previously mentioned that much of the development is being performed through contract work, whether that is internal or external has yet to be known. There are numerous local Japanese studios which can be used for production including Shirogumi, Just Cause Productions, Crescent, Nadia, etc, however as the art has been outsourced to Lakysha in India, my feeling is that development is being contracted internally.

As for the numbers provided by THQNordic, I believe these figures to be representative exclusively of YSNet and do not include Neilo.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Centrale » Sat May 19, 2018 10:49 am

Are there two threads about this?

Also, it's spelled Lakshya.

Centrale has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sat May 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Centrale wrote: Are there two threads about this?

Also, it's spelled Lakshya.

Thanks for the correction!
WildManofBorneo

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III