Let's Ask Ysnet to Include Free Practice in Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Let's Ask Ysnet to Include Free Practice in Shenmue 3

Postby ShenSun » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:32 pm

I loved this feature in Shenmue 1 and was a bit letdown when it was missing in Shenmue 2.

Should we all ask the team to include it? I can't see it being that hard to implement in a few areas? It only adds to the experience.

ShenSun has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Yokosuka
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Let's Ask Ysnet to Include Free Practice in Shenmue 3

Postby Amir » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:05 pm

I think Suzuki made it pretty clear the the new Scrolls systems means practice will be scrapped completely in an effort to make the game more accessible. I will miss it but I can understand the reasons for it not being included.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby GYO6161 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Amir wrote: I think Suzuki made it pretty clear the the new Scrolls systems means practice will be scrapped completely in an effort to make the game more accessible. I will miss it but I can understand the reasons for it not being included.

what a shame, i hope this doesn't mean Shenmue 3 would be downgraded to appeal to the brain dead modern common gamer..... i sure dont want say, a akrham series or uncharted style battle system with martial arts thrown in the mix
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby ShenSun » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:18 pm

I dont see how including it will affect its appeal. The new scroll system and the practice feature could work along side each other.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:49 am

Totally agree with the OP. [-o<

I don't remember well but a lot of people asked for this feature in the Q&A sessions. Here the only answer he gave last June.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... ?context=3

Question: Will practicing moves make a return in Shenmue 3 along with the FREE battle system? A lot of fans feel not being able to practice moves was big piece missing in Shenmue 2, and I also personally loved being able to practice and make the moves stronger. It really makes you feel as if you are learning marital arts and then performing them in a skill-based actual battle feels very satisfying.

YS: I want to do it yes!

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, LucBu
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:43 am

Ideally, there would be a new, better practice system in place. Don't get me wrong, I did moves around that parking lot all day like the rest of us, but I'd like something more engaging. Sparring would be a better idea. At least then you can train throw moves.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby reptile » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:53 am

what is the new scrolls system anyway?

Too lazy to research
reptile
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:04 am

reptile wrote: what is the new scrolls system anyway?

Too lazy to research

We don't know too much besides "instant" mastery. I figure it plays into the skill tree system somehow too.

Altogether Shenmue 3's combat sounds like it'll allow you to... spec out your version of Ryo more. We saw something kinda similar in Shenmue II where several moves could occupy the same command and you had to pick in the moves list which one you wanted based on its damage, speed, or 'rigid' (if i remember right rigid refers to putting distance between you and enemies through knocking them back).
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby LucBu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:08 am

Thanks Yokosuka. Puts me at ease. That was one of the best parts of Shenmue. I always thought that the free time between appointments and events literally forced the player to spend some free time at least in an arbitrary direction. That was why the free practice was always very satisfying, felt like you were putting extra time in, "getting work in" so to speak, in the moments you couldn't advance. Felt realistic to practice in life in that respect. You never knew when it was going to come in handy and it felt like you were preparing for the future. There was a kind of balance between the skill of pulling the move off manually yourself and a grinding mechanic in which the move got stronger. Satisfying for the achievement to be balanced between skill/automatic-power in that respect.

The ambiance and atmosphere in those car parks was always great. Never seen anything in any other game quite like it. Peaceful.

LucBu has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:16 pm

The strong connection with the new Skill Tree System might have led the original Scroll System to be slightly revamped. I think Yu is using a new term to make clear to his YSnet employees that they need to start from scratch. On their side, the players won't see significant changes imo.

http://otakumode.com/news/55c62e97887d9 ... ies?page=1
Another thing is “technique scrolls.” Although I haven’t decided on how to include them yet, ordinary move scrolls could be available at weapon shops, players could get them as a gift, pick them up, get them as a prize for completing a quest, or receive them in the end after an event, it doesn’t matter. Players would get their hands on them in various ways, and I intend to make them in a way that the techniques could be pulled off in a video animation without practicing, except for the master techniques which will require a certain amount of practice.

The skill tree system will also be connected to the technique scroll system. Just like a tree spreading its roots and branches, if you master every technique in Category A, the tree will be completed to the last leaf, and you will finally be able to learn the master move. However, in Category B, where you didn’t master the general techniques, the tree won’t grow, which means you won’t be able to learn the master technique. This is the way this system works.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Sh3ppy
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Sh3ppy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:10 pm

Big fan of training to strengthen moves, so I too would be bummed if there was no practice system. Thankfully going by the post above, it seems Yu might be aiming for an evolution of what we've already seen.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Return to Shenmue III