Shenmue II frame rate

(Chapters 3-6)

Shenmue II frame rate

Postby reptile » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Shenmue II on Original Xbox has absolute no slowdown what so ever. The DC version lags like Counter-Strike running on Windows 99. I swear the xbox version is so smooth. Consistent Frame Rate makes Ryo run super fast with no interferance. The lag really ruins the experience on DC. At least the 360 version isint as laggy as the DC ver.

Lol Original Xbox version of Shenmue II ftw! Who cares about bad voice acting and graphics when you have a smooth, consistent fps Shenmue game?
reptile
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Shenmue II frame rate

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 pm

reptile wrote: Shenmue II on Original Xbox has absolute no slowdown what so ever. The DC version lags like Counter-Strike running on Windows 99. I swear the xbox version is so smooth. Consistent Frame Rate makes Ryo run super fast with no interferance. The lag really ruins the experience on DC. At least the 360 version isint as laggy as the DC ver.

Lol Original Xbox version of Shenmue II ftw! Who cares about bad voice acting and graphics when you have a smooth, consistent fps Shenmue game?

Nowadays we can play the Xbox version with Japanese voices anyway.

I prefer the DC version, even with the lag (unless you have an overclocked console which eliminates most of the lag).

It just feels more authentic.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Yeah, Shenmue II on Dreamcast is the original experience. It just feels... right. I'm sure whichever version played first will almost always be your definitive experience of the game though.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:47 pm

I don't remember having that much lag on the Dreamcast at all. Am I missing something?
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SheepheadCG » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:52 pm

First of all, its not lag, its framedrop :) ( Edit: I meant FPS drop, not the literal dropping of frames like when you stream in OBS etc) Just thought I'd clear that up.

@ Sonoshee, the only time I can think of right now in Shenmue 2 is when you run past Pidgeon Park or somewhere busy. Sometimes when it is loading the all the NPC's the game drops down to maybe the 15fps mark. Its never enough to make you die, or mess up a QTE, as it never happens during those moments.
Last edited by SheepheadCG on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:20 pm

Framedrops are a little bit different. In that case the game skips to render a couple of frames per second.
This results in very jerky motion but everything happening in the game takes just as long as normal.

In Shenmue however, all the frames will always be drawn, even under heavy load and the game will instead slow down and everything takes longer than normal.

The last time I fully played through Shenmue II I got the feeling that there were more slowdowns than usual.
I don't know why but maybe my Dreamcast starts to show some wear from all the hours of running with the GDEMU and passive cooling (no fan, open lid).

The Dreamcast really doesn't like the fire in the crag and especially the light from the torch when entering the cave.
Disc 4 is generally the most prone to slowdowns, even though there are mostly only two characters on screen.
The enviroments really push the hardware.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:52 pm

SheepheadCG wrote:@ Sonoshee, the only time I can think of right now in Shenmue 2 is when you run past Pidgeon Park or somewhere busy. Sometimes when it is loading the all the NPC's the game drops down to maybe the 15fps mark. Its never enough to make you die, or mess up a QTE, as it never happens during those moments.

Oh I remember now. But it never made it unbearable/unplayable for me during the times it happened. I'd rather take that bit of slowdown here and there because the DC version is the only version I'll play. I wasn't a fan of the voice work in the Xbox version if I'm completely honest, save for Corey/Ryo. Immersion is more important to me than frame rate.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SheepheadCG » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:05 pm

Couldn't agree more. Dreamcast any day of the week :D

SheepheadCG has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby SMDzero » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Xbox verson sucked because the QTE's were virtually impossible with the disc-shaped d-pad. Those f' ing planks on Xbox..... also North Korea must have nuked China or something because all the characters have a radioactive glow on Xbox.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:16 am

SMDzero wrote: also North Korea must have nuked China or something because all the characters have a radioactive glow on Xbox.

Im kinda nervious that if Shenmue Hd collection ever happends, they will use the xbox glow in both shen 1 and 2.... oh no...
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby Scrounder » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:13 pm

I'll take the original's Matrix-style slow-mo over the Xbox's hardcore drunk motion blur fights. Does anyone else remember how ridiculous the motion blur was in the Xbox version? It wasn't even the cool motion blur either it looked like when you drank beer in Deus Ex 1 or GTA 4.
Scrounder
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby James Brown » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Scrounder wrote: I'll take the original's Matrix-style slow-mo over the Xbox's hardcore drunk motion blur fights. Does anyone else remember how ridiculous the motion blur was in the Xbox version? It wasn't even the cool motion blur either it looked like when you drank beer in Deus Ex 1 or GTA 4.

Xuiying's centipede arms when she was showing off her arts in her blue robe are all I can think of when I remember the motion blur they added :D
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:05 am

reptile wrote: Shenmue II on Original Xbox has absolute no slowdown what so ever. The DC version lags like Counter-Strike running on Windows 99. I swear the xbox version is so smooth. Consistent Frame Rate makes Ryo run super fast with no interferance. The lag really ruins the experience on DC. At least the 360 version isint as laggy as the DC ver.

please tell me how is it to play the xbox version without your personal shenmue 1 savefile? and while the framerate may be better in unimportant moments like exploring, the graphics of the dc version (on vga) are a lot better and when there's action there are no frame rate problems in dc version either.

the voice acting though completely ruins it for me. it's even worse than shenmue 1.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:06 am

BlueMue wrote: Framedrops are a little bit different. In that case the game skips to render a couple of frames per second.
This results in very jerky motion but everything happening in the game takes just as long as normal.

In Shenmue however, all the frames will always be drawn, even under heavy load and the game will instead slow down and everything takes longer than normal.

The last time I fully played through Shenmue II I got the feeling that there were more slowdowns than usual.
I don't know why but maybe my Dreamcast starts to show some wear from all the hours of running with the GDEMU and passive cooling (no fan, open lid).

The Dreamcast really doesn't like the fire in the crag and especially the light from the torch when entering the cave.
Disc 4 is generally the most prone to slowdowns, even though there are mostly only two characters on screen.
The enviroments really push the hardware.

this is really strange. I've never encountered any slowdown on disc 4. only on the other discs with more than 4-5 people on screen at the same time excluding ryo
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:40 pm

The slowdowns can also be different per console. Some people's DCs may overheat quicker if not properly cleaned and such. Discs could have read issues, etc.

If you overclock your Dreamcast, you pretty much reduce almost all of the slowdown everywhere.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Next

Return to Shenmue II