ps4 - to buy or not to buy

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

ps4 - to buy or not to buy

Postby nygaard88 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:54 am

Hi all

I am a long time lurker and now hopefully a new poster. I have loved the first two shenmue's and pretty much given up on gaming since the dreamcast. Yes i have an x box 360 but the only game i enjoyed is sonic generations.

I pledged 185 dollars to the kickstarter campaign on day 2 and have opted for ps4 version. Now i dont own a ps4 and not sure whether to buy one now or in 2 years times

What do you guys think and will you be buying one now or later. The blu ray player is good and i like the call of duty games but aside from that not sure of benefit of ps4. But i doubt price will go down a significant amount. So should i buy now or later when shenmue is released?

Whats the chance of them releasing a shenmue and ps4 package?
nygaard88
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: ps4 - to buy or not to buy

Postby KidMarine » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:07 am

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm planning on getting a PS4 and a brand new TV some time in 2017 purely for Shenmue. I thought about getting one earlier, but nothing really interests me on the system except Earth Defence Force.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby SledgeNE » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:05 am

We bought a PS4 by the end of the last year. We wanted to play Fallout 4 and we had just a XBox 360. We are happy with PS4 with the Uncharted-Bundle.
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:07 am

That's a decision only you can make. There is a big list of PS4 exclusive JRPGs dropping this year, I'm definitely not gonna pass on Persona 5 plus I never got to play Valkyria Chronicles so I will get the remake.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:18 am

Well, everybody has different taste in gaming, but we all share love and passion for Shenmue.

The PS4 has a lot of good games to come. A few very early, others in the upcoming years.

Here is a small selection of games who would make me buy a PS4 if I didn't already own one. :D

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby nygaard88 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Cheers guys. Much appreciated. I'm starting to sway towards buying and will check out those games yu recommend.

Gotta say prob worth buying now as only like to get 50 -75quid cheaper and thats two years worth of gaming i guess

i note yakuza is available however japanese language only. Will the game be playable or do i have to give up that dream? Still never played it and heard great things from all shenmue fans
nygaard88

Postby cactusjack901 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:34 pm

This could be a point of contention here; but I'll throw in my two cents.

Don't buy the PS4, build a gaming PC, it will last you longer, and will play more games at a higher fidelity than a console. It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned, but for reasons that elude me, people still cling to consoles (I'll be honest, the exclusives this generation haven't made me desire a console in the slightest. Rare Replay came the closest... but I can still play all of those games on my PC anyway, they're just not in one convenient bundle)
cactusjack901

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:00 pm

I've honestly had some horrible experiences on the Pc (building one, install crap ect) so im glad shenmue 3 is coming to ps4. I'll imagine the full focus would be the ps4 version so I'll probably be superior but that's just me. I always see Shenmue as a console game anyways, keybord and mouse qtes don't sound very fun to me.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Kintor » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm getting Shenmue 3 for the PS4 but I've only recently bought the console myself. I held off for quite some time, waiting for the PS4 to start getting enough games that I'm interested in. It's just this year, with the current release schedule that I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a PS4.

I'm extremely hyped for Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, as someone who's been following Digimon ever since the first wave of 'fighting Tamagotchi' V-Pets; the waits finally over since the game is launching this week. Persona 5 also looks amazing; it's a day one purchase. So that's the JRPGs covered.

I also plan to get the Valkyria Chronicles remaster and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided when they're released. That's my immediate plans for the PS4 at this date.

As for what's currently on the system. I recommend Mortal Kombat X and Earth Defence Force 4.1; both are great games with a strong arcade style vibe to their gameplay. There's also Sega's own Alien Isolation, it's a visually stunning game; which is worth looking into for any fan of the survival horror genre.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Buying a PS4 really come down to when the library of games finally hits critical mass for you. When you start to think there's enough games you like coming out for the system to bridge the gap between now and the release of Shenmue 3 you'll know it's the right time.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:36 am

I'll probably pick the PS4 up some time toward the end of the year. The main reason for owning one is obviously Shenmue 3, but these other titles look pretty impressive/interesting too:

Streetfighter V
Samura Warriors 4-II
Onechanbara z2 Chaos
Uncharted Collection
Uncharted 4
Layers of Fear
Until Dawn
Bloodborne
Nier: Automata
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
Persona 5
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Last Guardian
Detroit: Become Human
Robinson The Journey
Cyberpunk 2077
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alexh86 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 pm

I'd just keep your eye on games that are coming out and see if there is enough there to get you to buy the console early. If there isn't enough for you, you might as well wait until closer to the Shenmue III release because there could be a price drop or better bundles by that time.
alexh86

PSN: ahark86

Postby Peter » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:56 pm

Sonoshee wrote: I'll probably pick the PS4 up some time toward the end of the year. The main reason for owning one is obviously Shenmue 3, but these other titles look pretty impressive/interesting too:

Streetfighter V
Samura Warriors 4-II
Onechanbara z2 Chaos
Uncharted Collection
Uncharted 4
Layers of Fear
Until Dawn
Bloodborne
Nier: Automata
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness
Persona 5
Gravity Rush 2
Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Last Guardian
Detroit: Become Human
Robinson The Journey
Cyberpunk 2077

Add No Man's Sky to this and it's the exact same post I could make.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby spinksy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:58 am

I would 100% recommend buying a PS4.

I bought one on release day in the UK - had it for a year and sold it as I was alittle bored with it (the first 18 months was pretty terrible for games being released).

I then bought an Xbox one to see what it was like, enjoyed it as a few mates had one then it came to a time where half my mates had an Xbox one and half had a PS4.

As soon as I woke up the morning after E3 to a text from one of my PS4 mates simply saying 'Shenmue 3 and FF7 remake confirmed at E3 for PS4' I knew instantly I needed to re buy one - and if I'm honest since getting it a few days after that (and backing the shenmue 3 kickstarter with $300) I haven't stopped playing it.

It now has so many good exclusives (especially if you're into anime).

Get one :-)
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Snakiest » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:00 am

Sounds like you don't need one. If nothing interests you, and you obviously know how to do your research, then why even hesitate? Save up for things that'll actually make you happy.
Snakiest

Postby Centrale » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:14 pm

It'll be at least $50, maybe $100 cheaper by the time Shenmue III comes out. If nothing else interests you, might as well wait and let the economics of mass-produced electronics work in your favor.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III