GameTrailers.com shutting down - effective immediatly

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: GameTrailers.com shutting down - effective immediatly

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Brandon Jones was in the GT chat soon after, and sounded positive. He is waiting on Daniel Bloodworth coming back from his honeymoon and then they will all talk.

Great day compared to the sadness of the past few days.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Telekill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:05 pm

I was a member of GameTrailers since early 2007. Sad to see it go. I remember when the site was a gem among gaming sites. The ability to have factions, blogs, great forum user base, tons of vids for the newest games... my list could go on. Then the site revamp occurred taking away almost all user generated content beyond forums. It was that revamp that truly killed the site and inevitably led to the recent shut down. Had they kept the site as a user oriented site and didn't try to take away all our abilities... the site would be alive and well today.

That said, the staff of their various shows seemed to truly be entwined in the industry as just as large a fans as we are. It was a nice change to have a site that seemed to have a positive spin on the industry instead of the constant complaining and dogging on various games.

They will be missed.

Telekill has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Sucks, this was basically the only game news media site I really liked.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:42 pm

I was never a fan of IGN and while I did like Gamespot, after their staff got gutted about a year and a half ago they've gone the way of the clickbait, padding out their news page with movie news/politics etc. They seem to have become a parrot for retailers like GameStop to the point of becoming a shill, and I for one will sorely miss gaming media like GT that bucked these trends.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby fittersau » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Telekill wrote: I was a member of GameTrailers since early 2007. Sad to see it go. I remember when the site was a gem among gaming sites. The ability to have factions, blogs, great forum user base, tons of vids for the newest games... my list could go on. Then the site revamp occurred taking away almost all user generated content beyond forums. It was that revamp that truly killed the site and inevitably led to the recent shut down. Had they kept the site as a user oriented site and didn't try to take away all our abilities... the site would be alive and well today.
They will be missed.

Yep, when they first came around there weren't many places you could see all the game trailers together. Sadly they've been superseded along with many other sites by the share power and accessibility of Youtube.

In the latter years, I appreciated them for their obvious support of the Dreamcast and Shenmue. I'm sure they'll land on their feet somewhere. The personalities and individuals will be missed for sure.

fittersau has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Giorgio » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Tonight 9PM PST [5AM GMT (for Britain)] M. Huber will stream SF V with Ben Moore and Ian Hick: https://twitter.com/MichaelPHuber/statu ... 3217669120

It's great to hear that some of the members of the GT family are still getting together!

Past broadcast: http://www.twitch.tv/huber_hype/v/45882500
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:51 pm

This is shocking. I will never forget Michael Huber*s epic S3 reaction.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Reprise
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to Shenmue III