COLECO (yes, them) to release Chameleon console (cartridges)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

COLECO (yes, them) to release Chameleon console (cartridges)

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:16 am

Trabuco Canyon, CA (PR) – December 17, 2015 Video-game industry pioneer COLECO re-enters the market, partnering with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc., to introduce a new, modern-day video-game system called the COLECO Chameleon.

COLECO Chameleon is a versatile new video-game system that serves as a modern day take on the classic game console and will accurately play classic games from the past. The COLECO Chameleon also has the ability play brand-new games in the 8-, 16- and 32-bit styles, a growing and popular genre in today’s game scape.

Chris Cardillo, a partner in COLECO said, "Mark [Thomann] and I are excited to work hand-in-hand with Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. in the launch of the COLECO Chameleon. It's ironic that a new ‘retro’ video-game system would actually revolutionize and revitalize the COLECO brand."

And, for the first time in nearly 20 years, the COLECO Chameleon will once again play brand new games on long-lasting, durable cartridges that can be played, traded, and collected for a lifetime. And all game cartridges will include high quality, plastic clamshell cases with illustrated instruction manuals and game developer liner notes.

Retro Video Game Systems, Inc. President Mike Kennedy adds, “The COLECO Chameleon is a love-letter to all the classic cartridge based gaming systems that came before it and we love the fact it will succeed COLECO’s successful Telstar and Colecovision product lines. It will take gamers and their families back to a simpler time where games were all about great gameplay and fun factor.”

The COLECO Chameleon will launch in early 2016 and will also be demonstrated at Toy Fair New York 2016, February 13-16.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159076

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: COLECO (yes, them) to release Chameleon console (cartrid

Postby Mr357 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:55 pm

This thing is going to flop so hard. I wonder how much they've spent so far with all of the renames and redesigns.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonikku » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Playing to nostalgia and an era where we held the actual game in our hands as opposed to a digital download could potentially work, but the capital you would need to pull it off is likely beyond their grasp.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Thief » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:49 pm

I could see this working out well... but I could also see it failing horribly... I don't know. The ColecoVision is pretty great though, and pretty underrated, so who knows. I look at this with more optimism then something like the Ouya or whatever.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:55 pm

The whole project is a mess; the Coleco name, a Super Nintendo circuit board, the plastic shell of an Atari Jaguar. This truly is a Frankenstein console, assuming that anymore then a prototype ever gets made. There's so much bad blood surrounding the console already, its Kickstarter campaign is going to crash and burn.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:04 pm

a super nintendo controller with analog sticks. The news is a shock, thats for sure. I like the idea of bringing back cartridges, absolutely support that in every way. But... can it actually work and be profitable? And even more so, we need a list of games and trailers. It has potential, but its got history against it, we'll see.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:04 am

They need to ask themselves what market are they going to fill with this. They will not make enough money off 35-45 year old guys nostalgic for 2 seconds when they scroll past it in a facebook feed. More then half will say "Ah cool...but its not worth the hassle."
The 1 in 9,000,000 that do end up buying it will immediately regret it, play it for a couple hours and return it if it's anywhere north of $100.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Mr357 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:35 am

Axm wrote: They need to ask themselves what market are they going to fill with this. They will not make enough money off 35-45 year old guys nostalgic for 2 seconds when they scroll past it in a facebook feed. More then half will say "Ah cool...but its not worth the hassle."
The 1 in 9,000,000 that do end up buying it will immediately regret it, play it for a couple hours and return it if it's anywhere north of $100.

Last I heard, the basic model was going to be $300-400+
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:46 am

DOA
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:44 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Axm wrote: They need to ask themselves what market are they going to fill with this. They will not make enough money off 35-45 year old guys nostalgic for 2 seconds when they scroll past it in a facebook feed. More then half will say "Ah cool...but its not worth the hassle."

Last I heard, the basic model was going to be $300-400+

well shit.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ys » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:01 pm

Mr357 wrote:Last I heard, the basic model was going to be $300-400+

Seriously? I guess that it is out of necessity and not greed. I do like the whole idea but it doesn't seem like this could do well at that price point.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Mr357 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:12 pm

ys wrote:
Mr357 wrote:Last I heard, the basic model was going to be $300-400+

Seriously? I guess that it is out of necessity and not greed. I do like the whole idea but it doesn't seem like this could do well at that price point.

Well rather, it was something like $350 or 400 while the Kickstarter was going and it was still named the Retro VGS. I can't imagine it will retail at much cheaper, if at all. Game consoles are insanely expensive to produce, and the fact that these guys are trying to do it with so little funding and staff doesn't help. I honestly don't think they'll even release a finished product, much less a good one.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:40 pm

Is anyone else as heart broken over this news as me? :---)

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Mr357
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Don't be.
phpBB [video]
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue