Yakuza? Sleeping Dogs?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Yakuza? Sleeping Dogs?

Postby RyanHazuki » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 am

I'm fairly certain these games have been discussed a thousand times here as they seem to be the closest resemblance of our beloved Shenmue. I've not given the Yakuza series or Sleeping Dogs much of a chance yet. I was hoping people could weigh in and tell about their experiences with these games, how they help with the Shenmue itch (or how they don't), and which they prefer and why. Thanks!
RyanHazuki
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Re: Yakuza? Sleeping Dogs?

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:03 am

Yakuza feels closer to Shenmue in terms of attention to detail, but neither Sleeping Dogs nor Yakuza are that similar to Shenmue. The comparisons generally come from ignorant opinions on surface elements (martial arts, locations, Asian male protagonist), and are very inaccurate as a result.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: RyanHazuki
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ryoso » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:22 am

In my opinion both are crappy games with better sales. Don't you dare buy them.
Ryoso
Banned
Banned

Postby RyanHazuki » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:07 pm

Yeah, I'm beginning to understand your points a bit, Spaghetti, after plenty of videos. Looks like they both lack in similarities. Yakuza only seems closer to me due to the RPG elements, but then again, I've always had a hard time with categorizing Shenmue. I've always been of the opinion that Yu created a genre with Shenmue.
RyanHazuki

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:01 pm

[Shenmue]-----Yakuza-----L.A. Noire-----Sleeping Dogs-----[GTA Series]

The above model is a rough idea on how I think that games outside of both open world extremes (shenmue and gta) are related.

Yakuza is very much a spiritual successor, but nothing is quite like Shenmue in every single aspect since there are so many systems that I feel are pivotal and are not implemented in the above games (e.g. in game time is a huge one which definitely impacts gameplay and heightens the sense of immersion). Heavy Rain/Fahrenheit are worth mentioning though imo they don't quite fit in the above scale.

imo how you'll end up percieving the above games will greatly depend on what aspects of shenmue were your favourite. imo Yakuza is the closed in terms of gameplay, minutae in details and story and vibe. L.A. noire is closest in terms of scale, ambition, authenticity and well as some of the mechanics. Sleeping dogs means more so to GTA for sure, but it has a few nice nods and the location makes a nice change (I enjoyed this game despite not really liking gta type games, and it's the closest to shenmue alongside l.a. noire on xbox 360 for sure.)

I only recently got into Yakuza. I played about 1/3 into the first game years ago before stopping because I didn't really enjoy it, but I recently played the 3rd game and I much enjoy that one and the similarities are there.

Just note that for all above games, your enjoyment will largely depend on accepting that each game is very much standalone and going in and throughout expecting something shenmue-esque may likely leave you dissapointed, as it has with me. Instead, just appreciate it for the things that it accomplishes on its own or that even shenmue couldn't do, and you'll leave with something worthwhile :-)

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: RyanHazuki
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:36 pm

Shadow of Memories, Life Is Strange and Yakuza 5 are the closest games I know. Not played LA Noire yet.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: RyanHazuki
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby GameRoomsRising » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:59 am

Sleeping Dogs isn't anything like Shenmue. It's closer to GTA set in Hong Kong. It is, however, an absolutely fantastic game that I own on both PC and PS4, even though I hate the GTA games.

GameRoomsRising has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, RyanHazuki
GameRoomsRising

Postby RyanHazuki » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:08 am

Great input, fellas. Looks like I have a few games to keep me busy until this dreaded winter is over. I must ask, though... am I the only Shenmue fan who rather enjoys the GTA games?
RyanHazuki

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:18 am

RyanHazuki wrote:Great input, fellas. Looks like I have a few games to keep me busy until this dreaded winter is over. I must ask, though... am I the only Shenmue fan who rather enjoys the GTA games?

Well, the notable, legendary shenmue fan Michael P Huber from gametrailers loves both games on an intimate level xD

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:23 am

Yokosuka wrote:Shadow of Memories, Life Is Strange and Yakuza 5 are the closest games I know. Not played LA Noire yet.

Shadow of memories sounds interesting, never heard of it. I have both an original xbox and a psp to play it on, but is it still worth checking out or has time not been so kind to it? Also, in what ways is it similar to shenmue? :-)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RyanHazuki » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:40 am

I played a pinch of that game via emulation a few years back per a friend's advice (not because it is similar to Shenmue) and I recall giving up quickly over dated visuals and wonky controls. The emulator may have been to blame though.
RyanHazuki

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:13 am

FlagshipFighter wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:Shadow of Memories, Life Is Strange and Yakuza 5 are the closest games I know. Not played LA Noire yet.

Shadow of memories sounds interesting, never heard of it. I have both an original xbox and a psp to play it on, but is it still worth checking out or has time not been so kind to it? Also, in what ways is it similar to shenmue? :-)

I'm currently discovering it on PSP tbh and I'm enjoying it. :) It's a game I dreamt for a long time ago because the screenshots in a magazine made me think it was the baby Shenmue of Sony.

Like Shenmue, the story takes place in a little town with each NPC following his own route. You can enter some buildings as well.

Some other details remind the Shenmue feel : the snow, the fortuneteller, the non-violence core gameplay, when you have to follow a secondary character to his house, some slight resemblances with FREE music, the relationship with some characters, the realistic character design of course and regular use of cutscenes.

Where it distances Shenmue, Shadow of Memories/Destiny tells a story less deeper for being more about a thriller. The overall mechanics are very classic and obviously don't stand the AM2 richness.

I recommend you to play with a good sound system (PSP speakers are weak), there are few musics but some of them are excellent. Anyway, Shadow of Memories is a good game by its own.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:52 pm

I would heartily recommend Shadow of Memories to any Shenmue fan. Also known as Shadow of Destiny, depending on your region.

And I love GTA, for the record. Though if they continue down the road of focusing on the online multiplayer, I'll have to start saying I loved GTA.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Return to Shenmue