Could we have made 10M?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Could we have made 10M?

Postby SMDzero » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:13 pm

If Suzuki had set the minimum funding goal at a clean 10 Million could we have achieved that in 30 days?

Seeing how fast the 2M goal was reached I really think we would have climbed to 10M within a couple of weeks.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Could we have made 10M?

Postby Sh3ppy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:19 pm

I personally wouldn't think so, no. People put in what they were able to afford (& some even more), so I don't think setting the target at 10m would have really made a difference. There's always the chance that I'm completely wrong though!
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hanzumon » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:22 pm

No.

I was happy, as we got 5 Millions. That was a huge number. \:D/
Hanzumon
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby KidMarine » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 pm

They probably set the bar too low at $2 million. It gave the impression that that was all it needed and there was no need to donate once it passed that amount. Whether it could have made $10 million or not it's hard to say.

I'm just glad it got to $6 million, Advanced Free Battle was a must. Cedric said his personal goal for the KickStarter was $5 million IIRC.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Mr357 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:23 pm

There's been a ton of discussion on this ever since the Kickstarter started, and although I think a goal higher than 2 million could have been reached in about the same amount of time, I don't think it would have made a difference in the long run. As Sh3ppy said, most people gave whatever they could afford (even if barely), so the only thing that could have increased the total would have been a wider appeal ie. more backers.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby James Brown » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:54 pm

I reckon if the clickbait media hadn't have gotten involved with awful reporting a few times throughout those original days we'd have gotten more aswell.

James Brown has received 4 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Mr357, VukBZ2005, Yama
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shinobi47 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Maybe we can all collectively tweet Mark Zuckerberg Kanye style.
shinobi47
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: the_robtarded
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby mrandyk » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:36 pm

More money would have been raised if the initial goal was higher than $2 million. How much more I don't know. But definitely more than what we did end up at.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:23 am

If the minimum target for Shenmue 3 to get made at all had been $10m, this forum would be a far more depressing place to be right now.

Well, for those of us who aren't already looking for reasons to be glum.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:35 am

The simplest task to do was to set up a passionate kickstarter page. If I didn't know what Shenmue is, never I would donate a penny to this crap.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:07 am

No.

I don't think setting it at 2 million was dumb either. It's easy to say they could have got more knowing they got $6 milllion+, but nobody expected that much of a groundswell of support for a niche series that stopped 15 years ago. $2 million was brave as it was.

A sympathetic press and better running of the KS could have gotten it further, but ultimately the fan efforts really drove that Kickstarter to record breaking success.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: fittersau, Let's Get Sweaty
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby James Brown » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:20 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: If the minimum target for Shenmue 3 to get made at all had been $10m, this forum would be a far more depressing place to be right now.

Well, for those of us who aren't already looking for reasons to be glum.

Hmm i'm not sure though, it's easy to say in hindsight, but I feel if the goal was higher, more people would have gone out of their way to spread the word and get more people on board. Whereas probably alot of people just sat back and watched when the project's goal was met. Also the 2 Mil goal actually came across as a negative to most media who were reporting to everyone that there's no way they'd be able to make a good Shenmue game with 2 mil when the original game cost 70+ whatever bullshit to make. I bet that put people off aswell who then probably got it in there head to just hold back and see actually how good the game looks when it's finished - which obviously this helps the media say in a couple of years time "I told you so" because the game got less funding and obviously came out a worser game than it could have been if they had just shut their mouths. Hopefully we still did enough to keep their mouths shut when the game comes out, and Yu inserts a half second subliminal middle finger image part way through the first 20 mins of the game just for them - because hey, half of what the media seem to know about the game is the opening 20 mins of the original, and then talk as if they've completed both games multiple times. "Shenmue!? haha, I remember playing that on the Dreamcast and just spending hours looking for sailors, hahahahah" :-$ lol stfu
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:54 am

Ten million is a long way from seventy million as well, and the budget comparisons didn't subside when the total more than tripled its goal.

It's amazing actually that in the same breath the media will decry the "shadiness" of additional backing from private investors while also bleating that "you can't make a quality game with $6m." They can't even remember what their objection's supposed to be from the beginning of a sentence to the end.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Mr357
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby James Brown » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:42 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Ten million is a long way from seventy million as well, and the budget comparisons didn't subside when the total more than tripled its goal.

It's amazing actually that in the same breath the media will decry the "shadiness" of additional backing from private investors while also bleating that "you can't make a quality game with $6m." They can't even remember what their objection's supposed to be from the beginning of a sentence to the end.

True dude, yeah you're probably right, even at $10 mil they'd have still compared it to $70. Guess we can't win regardless, but i'm still buzzing with what we achieved anyways, so $6.5mil, $10 mil, whatever it's going to be a great game because it's being made by Yu Suzuki for all the right reasons. It's not a cash cow, it's a love for something.

James Brown has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby punkmanced » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:05 pm

The initial goal was fine; one of the only true ways for the KS campaign to have raised more $$$ would have been to have had a quality company in charge of said campaign. Not Awesome Japan.

A quality company could’ve better sold the idea of a Shenmue revival to the general public, bringing in new fans along the way. Additionally, a Sega-coordinated Shenmue HD announcement would’ve also gone a long way … and could still very well bring the Paypal campaign/extension back from the dead in the future.

As things stand, no one aside from us dedicated superfans would’ve had any real reason to donate to Shenmue III in the first place, so, no, a $3M or $4M initial goal would not have changed anything in the long run, IMO, whereas a $10M minimum goal would've probably failed.

punkmanced has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, VukBZ2005
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III