How annoyed would you be using the d-pad on the PS4?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How annoyed would you be using the d-pad on the PS4?

Postby Centrale » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:55 am

I really don't understand this idealization of things that represent the technical limitations of the Dreamcast. The fact is, they pushed the DC as hard as they could. They weren't making the limits into fetishes. They tried to make the most advanced game they could technically with what was available at the time. Can you imagine if they had designed Shenmue to emulate the limitations of the Sega Saturn? Ignore the analog stick and try to map a six button layout, because that's the system it was originally targeted at? I want Shenmue III to take full advantage of the technological progress that's occurred. Let the modders handle retro stuff.

Centrale has received 6 thanks from: Axm, Himuro, Kiske, Monkei, murdiaries, SickOctopus
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby jasonorme666 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:24 pm

My thumb blistered after a day of using the d-pad when I played Shenmue a few months back.
jasonorme666
Master of the Three Blades

Postby alexh86 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:58 pm

They won't do that but I'd be annoyed if they did. Obviously we all love Shenmue, it's probably the top all time game for most here but I do not like the d-pad controls. Yes, you do get used to them and even get good with them but it is a breath of fresh air every time I make the turn to Shenmue II and can use the analog stick. I'm sure Shenmue III will be analog controlled with a free camera mapped to the right stick but if they remaster Shenmue I/II, I hope some of the logistical conveniences of Shenmue II are also given to Shenmue.
alexh86

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:11 pm

Centrale wrote: I want Shenmue III to take full advantage of the technological progress that's occurred. Let the modders handle retro stuff.

Or even better lets hope ysnet can give us an option for retro controls, it will suck having to rely on modders since most of us are gonna play it on PS4.
And idk if im just old fashioned but I will be bumped out if i have to play Shen3 with analog sticks without an option to switch back to dpad, for me its one of the charms of Shenmue having a dpad controls system that makes the games so unique imo.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Tsubasa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:41 pm

GYO6161 wrote: I like the style of Shenmue where you use the d pad to walk in a tank style and the camera follows you and stays directly behind you, the whole dual sticks controlling camera in a 360• way isn't somthing i want in S3, maybe I'm just used to the way s1 and 2 control and i know the game control the way it does because the DC didn't have a 2nd stick but i still want S3 to play like 1 and 2 or give us an option, either way, I'm hoping for dpad movement in some way

Honestly, I don't mind about controlling Ryo with an analog stick.
On the other hand, I totally agree with you regarding the camera stick. IT SHOULD NOT BE A 360° WAY!!! The camera control that we currently know in Shenmue is an important part of immersion and core of the FREE mode. It should stay 180° way like a real human looking around him, with possibility to focus on specific items with a trigger. But no more, I really don't want a 360° camera à la GTA/Yakuza/etc which would not be "Shenmue-style" and would totally alterate the experience.

Tsubasa has received 2 thanks from: GYO6161, SMDzero
Tsubasa
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:08 am

Control Ryo with touchpad?

Maybe that could be a thing?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:00 am

SMDzero wrote: Control Ryo with touchpad?

Maybe that could be a thing?

the notepad using the touchpad could be interesting.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:32 pm

Tigrr wrote:If Sega ever releases Shenmue HD, or if Shenmue III used the d-pad on the PS4 version, would you be annoyed? I don't know if I'd be that bothered for one reason - the PS4 has a much better d-pad than either the Dreamcast and the Xbox.

Personally I think playing SIII would be weird not using modern controls, purely in comparison to newer games (and probably another reason for haters to hate), but the HD releases could work. It's possible that they'd actually feel really weird with updated controls, as the games were designed to play with a d-pad.

What do you reckon?

While I agree the xbone d-pad is better than the 360's and the original, for some reason (probably due to extreme wear) I really like the xbox's disc-based d-pad, especially for fighting games. It just felt good. I can't stand dualshock as it gives me blisters (the gap between each cross causes major friction) and un-ergonomic. PS4's pad is a little better for it but that causes me discomfort with the pointy triggers :-( lol
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Has anyone played Jet Set Radio on PS3 or PC ? I tried out shortly the demo from the Playstation Store and, is it just me or the controls have been improved ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:19 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Has anyone played Jet Set Radio on PS3 or PC ? I tried out shortly the demo from the Playstation Store and, is it just me or the controls have been improved ?

I know that they did include camera control for the right joystick in the Hd port that wasn't there in the DC version so maybe they tweaked some things here and there.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Tsubasa wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: I like the style of Shenmue where you use the d pad to walk in a tank style and the camera follows you and stays directly behind you, the whole dual sticks controlling camera in a 360• way isn't somthing i want in S3, maybe I'm just used to the way s1 and 2 control and i know the game control the way it does because the DC didn't have a 2nd stick but i still want S3 to play like 1 and 2 or give us an option, either way, I'm hoping for dpad movement in some way

Honestly, I don't mind about controlling Ryo with an analog stick.
On the other hand, I totally agree with you regarding the camera stick. IT SHOULD NOT BE A 360° WAY!!! The camera control that we currently know in Shenmue is an important part of immersion and core of the FREE mode. It should stay 180° way like a real human looking around him, with possibility to focus on specific items with a trigger. But no more, I really don't want a 360° camera à la GTA/Yakuza/etc which would not be "Shenmue-style" and would totally alterate the experience.

They could still make it 180° and 360° with strong snap back into the rear view.

While its nice.to hold on to nostalgic controls, I have enjoyed these decades of innovation plus I want to take selfie screenshots with Ryo + Shenhua, Ryo + Ming-ming, Ryo+Beautiful scenery.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue III