[SPOILERS AHEAD] And if all the cave mess was a dream ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

[SPOILERS AHEAD] And if all the cave mess was a dream ?

Postby Shenman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:47 am

Hey :)

During the Magic, I had the occasion to speak to Kinji Kun, from Shenmue Master, it was very late and we were speaking about the whole mess of magical things arriving with the sword and the lazers...

I said "and if it was just a dream since Ryo gets up from Shen Hua house ?"

At the moment we laughed but I can't stop thinking of it, everything would make so much more sense right ?

- 2 Gigantic mirrors (WTF)

- No wild life around the cave (and no helicopters or human noises before arriving too)
- The atmosphere of the sequence (The almost religious picture that is on screen before the credits)

- The fact that what arrive in this cave is what Ryo is waiting for...

I don't know, just wanted to share that with you guys, to know what you think on your side :D

I think waking up the day we go to this cave for the first time would be a good occasion to erase this mess of magical stuff (that is my opinion)

Sorry for my english ^^
Shenman
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

PSN: Shenman
XBL: Shenman
Steam: Shenman
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Fallout 4

Re: [SPOILERS AHEAD] And if all the cave mess was a dream ?

Postby James Brown » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:56 am

I'm not sure because in the FAQ part of the Monaco Magic, someone asked Yu about the magic, and Yu replied something like he doesn't necessarily think of it like wizardry, but more of a "Chi" sort of thing, it's something he truely believes in. Not an actual quote, but something like that :D, but because of that answer, it felt more to me like Yu meant and wanted that to happen within the story.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:03 am

I read somewhere (I forget the exact source) that Yu just "threw in all that magical stuff at the end" because they didn't know if Shenmue 3 would happen at that point. He also spoke last year about "re-writing the ending" of Shenmue 2, right? So that Shenmue 3 picks straight up from Shenhua's house.
So maybe he will introduce the "magic" in more of a casual, progressive way rather than the in your face aspect we saw in the cave.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:15 am

What if Shenmue is just a delusion of Shozo, a guy that was meant to be one of the greatest martial artists of japan, but got addicted to drugs and became homeless ?

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Shenman
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Shenman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:21 am

James Brown wrote:I'm not sure because in the FAQ part of the Monaco Magic, someone asked Yu about the magic, and Yu replied something like he doesn't necessarily think of it like wizardry, but more of a "Chi" sort of thing, it's something he truely believes in. Not an actual quote, but something like that :D, but because of that answer, it felt more to me like Yu meant and wanted that to happen within the story.

I heard that, I think that the Ki is more linked to the part where Ryo learn to makes the leaf to fall from a tree in a park in the South Carmain Quarter, and I'm OK with that.
What I don't like is levitation and all the fantasy that Suzuki said he was going to calm down :)

Sonoshee wrote: I read somewhere (I forget the exact source) that Yu just "threw in all that magical stuff at the end" because they didn't know if Shenmue 3 would happen at that point. He also spoke last year about "re-writing the ending" of Shenmue 2, right? So that Shenmue 3 picks straight up from Shenhua's house.
So maybe he will introduce the "magic" in more of a casual, progressive way rather than the in your face aspect we saw in the cave.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, maybe it will be a dream in the end ^^ I'm feeling better with the end of Shenmue 2 now :D

Shenman has received a thanks from: James Brown
Shenman
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

Postby Shenman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:27 am

I think Sonoshee meant that article : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... of-shenmue ;)

When we made Shenmue 2, we knew it was the last one," Suzuki reassures me. "We decided to go out with a bang - that's why there are those fantastical elements in there!

Shenman has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Shenman
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

Postby shredingskin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:31 am

Sonoshee wrote: I read somewhere (I forget the exact source) that Yu just "threw in all that magical stuff at the end" because they didn't know if Shenmue 3 would happen at that point. He also spoke last year about "re-writing the ending" of Shenmue 2, right? So that Shenmue 3 picks straight up from Shenhua's house.

That was what I was hoping, but now he said that the game will start after shenmue II ended :sad:
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:18 pm

He didn't just put the fantastical elements in there for the hell of it. Ever since the beginning Shenmue was always going to feature the supernatural and otherworldly, such as Shenhua appearing in Ryo's dreams.

Maybe he introduced those elements earlier than he originally intended, but the Shenmue saga was clearly always going to deal with "magic" and the supernatural at some point.

I love the stuff at the end of the second disc by the way. I love works of fiction that strive for realism for the most part, but suggest that there is something more to this world than we can conceive. The reimagined Battlestar Galactica is a (mostly) great example of this.

KidMarine has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Let's Get Sweaty
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby James Brown » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:15 pm

Maybe Yu wanted to go down the magic path, but then changed his mind after all the backlash of the dragonball z moments in the Shenmue Online trailer :D?
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:22 pm

KidMarine wrote: He didn't just put the fantastical elements in there for the hell of it. Ever since the beginning Shenmue was always going to feature the supernatural and otherworldly, such as Shenhua appearing in Ryo's dreams.

Maybe he introduced those elements earlier than he originally intended, but the Shenmue saga was clearly always going to deal with "magic" and the supernatural at some point.

I know. I remember an article in CVG during the Saturn days that had very early images of Shenhua performing magic. I personally loved it, but I think for some people the sword floating etc was just so out of the blue at the end of Shenmue 2.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:40 pm

I always thought if the bad endings were actually a way of constraining the game, or if it was actually important the time limit (maybe for something that happened in real life ?).

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Shenman
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby murdiaries » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:13 am

I am quite sure in SM3 Yu will retcon that part without all the magic stuff.
murdiaries
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:15 am

Yeah. When Yu said, he wants S3 to start in Shenhua's house, I think he means before entering the cave, not after getting out of there. Maybe the cave part won't be as melodramatic after all. Since Yu knew, S2 was going to be the last Shenmue on DC, he wanted to go out with a bang, like some people said on here before.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Shenman
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:05 pm

I think he means before entering the cave, not after getting out of there.

I really hope so :)
Shenman
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

Postby mrandyk » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Making the cave part full of magic was about the only way Yu could end S2 on a dramatic note short of ending the game at Disc 3. I don't know how prevalent the magic theme will be through the rest of the series but I won't be surprised to see it be all but removed from S3. Very anxious to see how the cave segment is handled in S3, there's no way the game starts at a point past the cave, right?
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III