What would you include in Shenmue 3 so it's more realistic?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What would you include in Shenmue 3 so it's more realist

Postby koalazeus » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:02 pm

I'd like AI based npc actions that are more spontaneous or complex. Like the other day I saw Cool Z walking around Kowloon and it made him feel more real. Maybe if npcs got into arguments or ate with each other at "randomish" intervals.

The weather system in Shenmue 1 was good too, maybe news [reports] based on actual records would be good.
koalazeus
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Not as much as I'd like

Postby Esppiral » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:04 am

More than graphics I just want superb (facial) animations, I know that with the current budget that's not gonna happen but a man can dream.

Esppiral has received 3 thanks from: fittersau, FlagshipFighter, Kiske
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:19 pm

koalazeus wrote: I'd like AI based npc actions that are more spontaneous or complex. Like the other day I saw Cool Z walking around Kowloon and it made him feel more real. Maybe if npcs got into arguments or ate with each other at "randomish" intervals.

Definitely this. It's all about the NPCs, it what made the Shenmue locations feel so alive. They need to be as detailed and personalized as the NPCs in Shenmue 1... Or even better, since Shenmue 3 is set in villages and there won't be many folks around. NPCs should have more focus, more daily routines, interactions, etc...

I want to follow some dude around from morning until he goes to sleep.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:24 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I want to follow some dude around from morning until he goes to sleep.

It'd be great if they actually asked you why you were following them. Or they could even do a Yuan and keep turning around to look for you :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:07 am

The NPC AI talk reminds me of Suzuki San interview at GDC 2014:

Suzuki recalls an amusing bug where everyone disappeared

Shenmue was notable for offering the concept of in-game characters having schedules - waking up, going to work and eating at specific times - all powered by AI and scripting.

"I remember this because it took a long time to find cause," he explained.

"The cause was a convenience store. In the morning. All of the NPCs (non-playing characters) in the warehouse district went to buy breakfast at the store, which became congested. They became stuck because they couldn't get out."

The solution was two fold; to increase the size of the automatic door, and limit occupancy of the convenience store.

:rotflmao:

phpBB [video]

Kiske has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby fittersau » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:04 am

Esppiral wrote: More than graphics I just want superb (facial) animations, I know that with the current budget that's not gonna happen but a man can dream.

Exactly... there's been so much progress in whole departments of animation and modelling that it will be a shame if Shenmue 3 doesn't incorporate it and simply is the old game with a new story.

I don't want Shenmue 3 to change whole sale, but appropriate changes that add life to the characters and their stories. The Shenmue Online trailer was such a nice example of where money could help add more to a character's movements in both body and clothing. Of course this is pre-rendered, but 10 years later the technology allows this to be real time.

For example, how awesome would it be to see Ryo's jacket move and flow when he's fighting in it.
phpBB [video]
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:02 am

Esppiral wrote: More than graphics I just want superb (facial) animations, I know that with the current budget that's not gonna happen but a man can dream.

Another good point seeable in the Lara Croft gifs is the realistic hair which can be easily challenging for the devs. The "plastic" hair syndrome is pretty common in mid-budget games although I doubt Yu will let this kind of details pass.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Tigrr » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:42 pm

I agree that it's the NPCs that have a huge impact on how realistic the game feels. One area I would like to see improved is the flow of conversations.

I'm currently playing through Shenmue and had forgotten how disjointed parts of conversations can feel at times. Someone will tell you something which you'll acknowledge, but when you press the 'A' button to continue the conversation, Ryo will repeat the answer again in a very unnatural way.

Another thing I've noticed a lot is there is no acknowledgement of previous conversations at times. Someone will tell me to speak to someone else, who I have LITERALLY just spoken to. Instead of saying that the other person didn't know anything, Ryo just says "Good idea, I will ask them"
Tigrr

Postby zema » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:05 pm

I would hope for a better written dialogue and better voice acting.
When i show shenmue to other people they always laugh at the dialogue.
I try telling them, of all the great points of the game, and the breakthrough it was, but they don't care, they just make fun of the dialogue.
zema
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zema7777
Nintendo FC: zema7777
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Previous

Return to Shenmue III