So, what do you estimate is the budget of this game?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

So, what do you estimate is the budget of this game?

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:01 am

These days i've been wondering what the final budget for Shenmue 3 is, considering we more or less already got 99,9% of the crowfunding money we could.

So, a few facts:

- Total money from kickstarter was $6.333.295 millions

- Paypal money is now around $250k

- YS net secured other funding sources besides crowfunding money

Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc.

- Shibuya is helping with production and marketing (and publishing PC version) and Sony is helping with production, marketing and some publishing support (or maybe just the publishing support? info on KS page is a bit contradicting)

So, we got 6.333.295 from KS, let's say 2% of the money couldn't be processed for various reasons (just guessing the %, i cannot find an official average number), that reduces the money to 6.206.629.

Of that the KS page states 65-72% goes to game development, let's use 68.5% for the calc since it's the middle number, that puts the total going to the game at $4.251.541 millions.

Add the 250k from paypal and we have a total of $4.501.541 millions collected via crowfunding

So, the questions now are:

1) How much are the funds secured by YS net? the only thing that can help us guessing here is that they were ready to make the game with just $2m money from KS (1.370.000 after the other expenses).

2) What could be the minimum budget for a 3d game that Sony would let an independent dev make for PS4? if we subtract the minimum KS goal money from this total we should have the private funds secured by YS net.

3) Is Sony and Shibuya's involvement counted in the "private funds secured by YS net" or are there other investors?

4) What % of the total budget are usually the marketing and publishing costs?

Feel free to add your insight and guesses.

Shenhua-Nani? has received a thanks from: Mr357
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: So, what do you estimate is the budget of this game?

Postby Mr357 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:03 pm

I wouldn't think they've gotten any more than 3 million from "other investors." I'd guess around 6 million total for development, but maybe as much as 7.5 million if we're going with my generous 3 million number.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Amir » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:06 am

Cedric said in an interview that Shibuya was the largest investor. I took that as meaning more than the Kickstarter, I could be wrong, but if you say $5 mill from Shibuya, $5 mill from crowdfunding (after fees) and a bit from Sony, I'd say $10 million for development, with Sony covering the marketing (which I believe will cost more).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby fittersau » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:39 am

Amir wrote: Cedric said in an interview that Shibuya was the largest investor. I took that as meaning more than the Kickstarter, I could be wrong, but if you say $5 mill from Shibuya, $5 mill from crowdfunding (after fees) and a bit from Sony, I'd say $10 million for development, with Sony covering the marketing (which I believe will cost more).

You know what, I want to know where Shibuya get their money from.. lol. For a small 4-6 person company they have a lot of projects going on at the moment. I just hope the funding from Shibuya doesn't dry up and allows them to firstly continue to fund Shenmue 3 (with a view for Shenmue 4) and additionally does not make Shibuya go bust from over committing to Shenmue 3, Astroboy, Cobra.. etc.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr357 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:57 pm

fittersau wrote:Shenmue 3, Astroboy, Cobra.. etc.

I had no idea that they were working on a Cobra reboot. Cedric is officially god-tier.

phpBB [video]
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:23 pm

Sorry i didn't have any free time to elaborate further, but thanks for reminding me that Shibuya is the biggest investor, though i seriously doubt they have that much money to invest into a single project...their social capital is 15k euros. Which doesn't mean they can't have much money, as they could be an intermediary for other investors, but i doubt there's any big numbers involved.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:31 am

Other info is that the Shibuya Prod. fund is about "several millions" so superior than or equal to $2 million, meaning at least 50% private, 50% public originally.

We also know that the investissements can be evolutive according the real time success of the campaign. Apparently, Sony waited the $4 million milestone to release a PS4 physical edition. What about the other investors? The evolutive budget might explain why so few money are required between some stretch goals features.

Are the gathered funds by Shibuya Prod. specifically dedicated to Shenmue III or were they funds ordered to Shibuya projects in general, with Cédric being free to invest where he wants?

About the ability to get massive funds, Shibuya International and Shibuya Prod. have a lot of partner references but Air France was the only powerful company among the MAGIC 2016 sponsors.

Ironically, we'll never know the budget of this game, not until 10 more years. Because of investor agreements and because Yu seems to hate discussing figures since Shenmue 2.

Mr357 wrote:I had no idea that they were working on a Cobra reboot. Cedric is officially god-tier.

Cédric will also be the co-writer although his participation is minimal. Speaks volume about how Terasawa trusts in him.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby fittersau » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Mr357 wrote:
fittersau wrote:Shenmue 3, Astroboy, Cobra.. etc.

I had no idea that they were working on a Cobra reboot. Cedric is officially god-tier.

He really is a big fan boy like the rest of us.. I don't know where he gets funding from.. perhaps he is good friends with the Monaco royalty.

fittersau has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby alexh86 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:46 pm

After fees and such, they probably ended the KS campaign with $4.5m - $5m and they have some other undisclosed amount of investment funding. If I had to guess (and this is a pure guess), I'd say that money comes to another $5m. My guess is we are looking at a budget of around $10m.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Postby Benjamin Berget » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:20 pm

Hello,
Cedric said in an interview that Shibuya was the largest investor. I took that as meaning more than the Kickstarter, I could be wrong, but if you say $5 mill from Shibuya

Hum, I don't think so !

Le "capital social" de Shibuya Productions est de 15 000 Euros en juillet 2014.
(Désolé si je parle en français, mais les termes juridiques sont un peu compliqués pour moi à traduire).
Cédric Biscay a dit en novembre 2015 :
« Le vrai chiffre d’affaires de Shibuya Productions sera dans deux ans. Si tout se passe bien, il devrait se situer autour de 5 millions d’euros ».

In conclusion, we must not expect too much of Shibuya Productions, because it is very young and small company, and Cédric expects 2017 for sales Shenmue 3 and collect money.
Benjamin Berget
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Return to Shenmue III