How many times have you completed Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: How many times have you completed Shenmue?

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:14 am

ShenGCH wrote:Shenmue's voice acting is an enigma, for sure.
It sure its, very bizarre specific things about it that i don't see in any other dub of any other game, mostly it's just bad acting but Shenmue just has some really strange stuff in it, which is also why i love the dub so much, it's so uniquely weird.
This might be unpopular but i kinda wish Shenmue 3 would be like this too for consistency and Nostalgia sake instead of like hiring anime dub actors like most japanese game localizers do nowadays, i know it is an outdated practice and i don't think they are gonna do it for 3 but there's just something bizarrely magical when hiring English speaking people living in Japan and being directed by (what i presume) is Japanese native speakers. Because of this, we got the greatness of lines such as the looking for sailors, the ''Wanna try lucky hit?'' all sorts of "Schoolboy'' lines, Duilin grunts when carrying crates, they very weird way Goro talked ect, its just pure fun and i kinda want Shenmue 3 to kinda spawn a new weird meme. Its almost like a tradition at this point. :)
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:20 pm

GYO6161 wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:Shenmue's voice acting is an enigma, for sure.
It sure its, very bizarre specific things about it that i don't see in any other dub of any other game, mostly it's just bad acting but Shenmue just has some really strange stuff in it, which is also why i love the dub so much, it's so uniquely weird.
This might be unpopular but i kinda wish Shenmue 3 would be like this too for consistency and Nostalgia sake instead of like hiring anime dub actors like most japanese game localizers do nowadays, i know it is an outdated practice and i don't think they are gonna do it for 3 but there's just something bizarrely magical when hiring English speaking people living in Japan and being directed by (what i presume) is Japanese native speakers. Because of this, we got the greatness of lines such as the looking for sailors, the ''Wanna try lucky hit?'' all sorts of "Schoolboy'' lines, Duilin grunts when carrying crates, they very weird way Goro talked ect, its just pure fun and i kinda want Shenmue 3 to kinda spawn a new weird meme. Its almost like a tradition at this point. :)

Considering the ubiquity of the internet, how jam-packed the voice acting scene is, and how those two go hand-in-hand, I think we'll see much better voice acting in Shenmue III than the previous instalments. I'm not expecting The Last of Us-quality voice acting and performances, of course, but voice acting has changed, and become a lot more serious, since the late 90's/early 2000's.

I sure hope Goro keeps his brilliant way of talking, though :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Telekill » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:37 am

I've only played Shenmue 1 about three times. I only played Shenmue 2 twice. I'm planning to replay them again before the third game is released.

Telekill has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Previous

Return to Shenmue