Project Update #55: April Report

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Project Update #55: April Report

Postby Monkei » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:22 am

I don't really get the underwhelmed response this update is getting. You guys were moaning about the logo so much.. and now they're actually adressing it, which is great, and no one really bats an eye? They could have stood by Suzuki's decision to use the new "logo", but they didn't. You guys actively influenced the appearance of the game. You should be celebrating this. 8)

Monkei has received 3 thanks from: GYO6161, Mugen, SickOctopus
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:31 am

Monkei wrote: I don't really get the underwhelmed response this update is getting. You guys were moaning about the logo so much.. and now they're actually adressing it, which is great, and no one really bats an eye? They could have stood by Suzuki's decision to use the new "logo", but they didn't. You guys actively influenced the appearance of the game. You should be celebrating this. 8)

In the scheme of things, while the logo is important for continuity, it pales somewhat in comparison to whether people can play in their preferred audio language or not.

I was one of those who didn't want an English audio track simply because I knew it was a drain on KS resources, now it's a problem for us because they are citing budget concerns for what real reasons is still unknown. Is it with putting both on one disc or download or with the cost of a full Japanese and full English cast? Either way, actors need to be paid.

To me it smells of asking for more money. Not because they are greedy, but because Suzuki probably wants to do more with the game itself and feels that some how including only one audio track can save money. For me I can't understand this since bluray discs are capable of holding more than one soundtrack and because you have the internet anyway and if you wanted to add another audio track, people can simply download it if they want to.
Last edited by fittersau on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:47 am

Monkei wrote: I don't really get the underwhelmed response this update is getting. You guys were moaning about the logo so much.. and now they're actually adressing it, which is great, and no one really bats an eye? They could have stood by Suzuki's decision to use the new "logo", but they didn't. You guys actively influenced the appearance of the game. You should be celebrating this. 8)

But... we are happy! At least, we are happy that they are considering fans requests.

The fact is, they brought up the matter of time and budget and of course, as fans we are aware that they are both limited. I can't help but feel somehow guilty for personal requests since all we should be focused on is to get the best Shenmue 3 experience they can deliver.

I would personally spend hours if not days to make the best logo I can for Shenmue 3. The problem is, I (as other fans) may be free of charges for YsNet, but I'm not a Professional designer and therefore I simply can't deliver something good enough for Shenmue 3. They will have to assign this task to professionals and there will be a cost for our request of logo change.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:36 am

In case anyone's confused (as one or two posts suggest), dialog is still going to be recorded in both English and Japanese. The only question is whether both will be made available on the same version of the game. Corey Marshall's pointed this out also.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Telekill
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:23 am

Kiske wrote: The French media are "doing it" again :???:

http://www.jeuxactu.com/shenmue-3-les-d ... 103756.htm?

According to this article, there will be probably only ONE audio language in Shenmue 3 (For all regions). English or japanese.

Misunderstanding of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter updates became a bad habit...

I don't even think it's Shenmue hate. The media really likes the Kickstarter games are always horrible disasters narrative.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Telekill » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:22 am

As mentioned above, both English and Japanese voice overs will be recorded. I believe the easy way out was already mentioned above as well; have Kickstarter/Paypal backers simply select which version they want shipped to them. We will have to give them our shipping addresses and confirm platform anyway, so selecting the language as well seems like a pretty reasonable request to save them money.

I played the first Shenmue in English as I got the N. American release at launch. I played Shenmue 2 in Japanese with English subtitles as it was the EU port for Dreamcast. Personally, I'm good either way but prefer the English voice over as I don't have to read while I play. Not a big deal generally, but it does take away from the experience in my opinion.

I'm just happy that YSNet is giving us updates as they said they would. I've seen so many Kickstarter gaming projects where the backers get little to no info and turns into a huge cluster F. So far, I'm really happy with their communications, the information they are releasing, and the overall experience as this is the only time I've backed anything via crowd funding.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby koalazeus » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: In case anyone's confused (as one or two posts suggest), dialog is still going to be recorded in both English and Japanese. The only question is whether both will be made available on the same version of the game. Corey Marshall's pointed this out also.

Ohhh, thank you. I didn't read that right. For me, this is not a big issue.
koalazeus
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Not as much as I'd like

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Kiske wrote: The French media are "doing it" again :???:

http://www.jeuxactu.com/shenmue-3-les-d ... 103756.htm?

According to this article, there will be probably only ONE audio language in Shenmue 3 (For all regions). English or japanese.

Misunderstanding of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter updates became a bad habit...

It's just negligence at this point. The update is very clear about what it is talking about in regards to dual language tracks. The requirements for a games media job must be that you have enough working fingers to type and little else.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Is the entire game getting VO or are we getting the Yakuza/Way of the Samurai style of VO only during major scenes?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Is the entire game getting VO or are we getting the Yakuza/Way of the Samurai style of VO only during major scenes?

We don't know yet.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Seriously? Were people confused that because of this one update, we now had to choose between Japanese and English dub?? Really? Masaya Matsukaze was the first VO announced, followed by Corey Marshall. THEN, an extra KS reward added was a personalised VO message from Corey to each and every fan who pledged that amount. I mean... what do you think was gonna happen? Have Corey come in, record 4000+ voice samples or whatever the fuck it was and tell him to piss off? Come on chaps, use your common sense?

Not only that, but we are still 10 months into a development cycle of a brand new game, and we have had numerous suggestions taken on board! Most of them have been taken on board, some haven't. Get over it. We are fans before pledges. Remember that. Anyone who argues that is kidding themselves otherwise we wouldn't be posting here! We are such a long way off from this game being released. I mean it with all the sincerity I can muster, but some people need to lay off the Internet. That's that I have done, because I am such a fan of this game as all you are, and if I stay logged in and tear every single piece of news and update apart, then this game will be nothing to me when it's released. My release came almost 1 year ago, not at the end of every month. And my ultimate orgasm will come when this game is running on my console in 18 months time. Seriously go grab a cup of tea, or take up trainspotting. It will help in the long run!!

Enjoy the speculating guys. But for the long term advantage, I'm our :nice!:

Peter has received 3 thanks from: James Brown, Shenhua-Nani?, Sonoshee
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Mugen » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:19 am

Peter wrote: Seriously? Were people confused that because of this one update, we now had to choose between Japanese and English dub?? Really? Masaya Matsukaze was the first VO announced, followed by Corey Marshall. THEN, an extra KS reward added was a personalised VO message from Corey to each and every fan who pledged that amount. I mean... what do you think was gonna happen? Have Corey come in, record 4000+ voice samples or whatever the fuck it was and tell him to piss off? Come on chaps, use your common sense?

Mm, guilty as charged. Problem is VO can be seriously expensive and maybe the Yakuza-model (Jp voice, Eng subs) or English only would have been a more healthy choice for a crowdfunded Shenmue III. As you say though, they have made promises and earned KS-bucks from it already. Now we do not know how many actors they are going to have to use but if dev costs starts getting unexpectedly high I think they will wish for/consider only having one VO language. As you say though, it is only early speculation.
Mugen

Steam: Mugen084
Currently playing: Yakuza 2

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:43 pm

If YS needs more money all he has to do is create a video detailing what we wants to do with it and address the fans directly.

A well done proper trailer with GOOD Ryo and Shenhua models/face would do the trick.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:22 pm

Just finish the game, make it as great as possible. All else is secondary to me. Happy to see an update. :D
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby drunkensailor » Sun May 01, 2016 5:55 am

GYO6161 wrote: The dual audio budget thing worries me, i hope that they don't decide get rid of the English dub altogether, that would really be a big dealbreaker for me.....

not for me. they definitely should get rid of it and do it yakuza style. the market for this game is niche anyway and the terrible voice acting of past shenmue won't be accepted this time
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III