Kickstarter Update #56 - May Update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Kickstarter Update #56 - May Update

Postby Peter » Tue May 31, 2016 7:14 am

Hello Everyone,

This month we are happy to announce a new member to the Shenmue III team—Toshihiko Masada. Toshihiko stands on the forefront of the animation industry, with experience as Animation Director, Animation Choreographer and Artistic Director. His work on “The New Batman/Superman Adventures” won him an Emmy award in 1997.

For Shenmue III, Toshihiko will be doing the storyboarding for the cut scenes that will appear in the game. Today we would like to give a look into some of the work going on at this stage.

During the storyboard process, what will be in the scenes, and how that material will be depicted is carefully thought out. Especially important here will be the depth perception of the shots to ensure proper depth cueing, and from what/whose perspective the shot will be taken. Another key point that will be focused on will be to bring out Shenhua’s personality, showing her charm, free-spirited nature and childlike innocence.

This process is and an important one so the ideas and context of the scenes are fully conveyed to the rest of the production members.

At the storyboard stage, the characters are given their expressions, which will be augmented with changes to the background to effectively bring home those traits.

Taking charge of the real-time movie storyboards is Toshihiko Masada.

Breathing life into the story, Toshihiko makes Ryo run with the wind at his heels.

The depth perspective and camera work unique to 3D games are added into the storyboards as well.

Everything from slight changes in expression to cuts of whole cities, the world of Shenmue III begins to materialize here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ts/1585673

Peter has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Jibby, Kiske, Sonne2
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Kickstarter Update #56 - May Update

Postby Jibby » Tue May 31, 2016 7:36 am

Not the direct feed footage we wanted, but I'm still happy. It's always nice to see some photos of the development process and things seem to be going well. Not a bad update.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Tue May 31, 2016 7:47 am

Nice Hello Kitty Pink Dreamcast in the background.

Giorgio has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kintor, Let's Get Sweaty, Sonne2
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Jibby » Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 am

Giorgio wrote: Nice Hello Kitty Pink Dreamcast in the background.

Only the finest for Yu and his team!

Jibby has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue May 31, 2016 7:59 am

mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Peter » Tue May 31, 2016 8:03 am

Also no news on E3. I was half expecting them to come out and say that there will be no scheduled appearances or footage at this year's event. There's still some hope of that I believe, not to turn this topic into the E3 topic. But I genuinely thought there would be an actual statement of intent regarding an E3 no show.

Either way, I am completely fine with this update. I like reading ones like this, which give us the brief of brief insight into the game development, without actually having anything spoiled. It's also good to know we are in safe hands with cinematics and storyboarding.

The machine rolls on....
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby alexh86 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:32 am

Interesting update! It's great to see them get experienced talent to head up such an important part of the process.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue May 31, 2016 8:42 am

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 9978611712

Mysterious tweet. Fans are linking this to E3, but I think it might be a meeting/progress update about the game and little else...

I don't want to put my hopes up, m'kay? :-p They'll be plenty of other games to see dammit!

Good kickstarter update though, glad they were in a position to hire someone like him, he seems really talented+a great cost-effective method compared to hiring someone like him from the start.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Kiske » Tue May 31, 2016 8:44 am

Really happy with the update.

Actually, I would love to read more about Toshihiko Masada work on Shenmue 3 but overall, I think they manage the updateds well. It's still soon to show much about the game and giving us updates on the team members is fine. As Peter says, we are definitely in good hands.

The lack of big udpate in the last couple of month AND the lack of E3 "No Show" statement makes me pretty positive that we are going to get a big update soon. If not during E3 itself, around Kickstarter launch anniversary.

One year in the "development" is a milestone after all and according to comments I've read lately on the internet, only a few news about Shenmue 3 made it to the public (except for the backers and Die Hard fans of course).

Last but not least, the Shenmue 3 US Playstation Store page still needs a video, which as the moment, is private.

I've still hopes for E3... but if nothing happens at all, please change my nickname into "Goro Mihashi" :mrgreen:
Last edited by Kiske on Tue May 31, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby KidMarine » Tue May 31, 2016 8:45 am

Looks like Ren and Shenhua crossing a narrow ledge. In the last update we saw Ren and Shenhua together as well.

I'm guessing at some point Ryo gets captured and Ren and Shenhua have to work together to rescue him? We have seen concept art of a jail cell...

KidMarine has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kiske
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Kiske » Tue May 31, 2016 8:55 am

FlagshipFighter wrote: https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 9978611712

Mysterious tweet. Fans are linking this to E3, but I think it might be a meeting/progress update about the game and little else...

I don't want to put my hopes up, m'kay? :-p They'll be plenty of other games to see dammit!

Good kickstarter update though, glad they were in a position to hire someone like him, he seems really talented+a great cost-effective method compared to hiring someone like him from the start.

Come On Now... :lol:

They are going to kill us :twisted:

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Giorgio » Tue May 31, 2016 9:04 am

I've a hunch/wish they'll give a Kickstarter update on June 15th, as the one year anniversary of Shenmue 3's Kickstarter campaign announcement/launch, also as a progress update with screenshots of the (ongoing heavy) development (possibly, of some new features), and also the PC version available for the PayPal crowdfunding campaign.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue May 31, 2016 9:06 am

Kiske wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote: https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 9978611712

Come On Now... :lol:

They are going to kill us :twisted:

Hahaha they literally will if they keep doing what they're doing and end up showing us nothing by E3 :-p

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Kiske
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Kintor » Tue May 31, 2016 9:12 am

Jibby wrote:
Giorgio wrote: Nice Hello Kitty Pink Dreamcast in the background.

Only the finest for Yu and his team!

It always amazes me how many Dreamcast variants Sega produced in such a short amount of time, particularly in Japan. I'm glad that Yu Suzuki and the rest of team will have ready access to Shenmue gaming, whenever they need inspiration, thanks to the office Dreamcast.

On a related note, I really miss translucent plastic casing being used in electronics; seeing that Hello Kitty Dreamcast with its pink translucent shell brought back a lot of memories. It's a distinctive 90s style and I'd love to see a manufacturer (consoles, smartphones, heck even a toaster) using translucent plastics again. One day soon perhaps…

Kintor has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, VukBZ2005
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Tue May 31, 2016 9:26 am

Giorgio wrote: I've a hunch/wish they'll give a Kickstarter update on June 15th, as the one year anniversary of Shenmue 3's Kickstarter campaign announcement/launch, also as a progress update with screenshots of the (ongoing heavy) development (possibly, of some new features), and also the PC version available for the PayPal crowdfunding campaign.

It's pure speculation here, but I don't think Cédric posted this Tweet for no (special) reason.

IF Shenmue 3 is going to be displayed in some way during E3, it will very likely be during the Sony Conference. Now if I remember well, Cédric said in an interview last year that he was somehow annoyed by how the annoucement has been percieved by the media.
In fact, the spotlights went mainly on Sony. On how a great move it was from them to launch Shenmue 3 on their stage and how they were supporting the project.

In my opinion, this tweet could be a reminder that "Yes, great things are coming and you may not hear them from me but remember that I'm part of it. Remember that Yu and I are partners in the Shenmue 3 project".
Would Cédric tweet mean this, it would sound fair to me in all honesty. After all, if anything happens during E3, Sony is going to benefit from it more than Shibuya Productions.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue III