IGN's 6/10 for Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

IGN's 6/10 for Shenmue III

Postby Iyo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:26 pm

What a bunch of ignorant cunts giving our Shenmue III a 6/10, fuck them, I swear all they rate is call of duty, man wtf this game deserves a higher score. The said the game is too boring and QTE sucks. Yu Suzuki should kick their asses. Damn.

Iyo has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Iyo
Banned
Banned

Re: IGN's 6/10 for Shenmue III

Postby thecurse0101 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:29 pm

What

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
thecurse0101
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:43 pm

To their credit, they did say Ming Ming's final words after being given a shoryuken from Shenhua topped the emotional impact of Sarah's death from The Last of Us.

Gave me chills, man.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Mr357 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:51 pm

Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the reviews tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is it getting such low scores? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want the story to go on. I want Yu Suzuki to fix this broken industry. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought he was favored by IGN???? This is so fucked.
Last edited by Mr357 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr357 has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Jibby
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:17 pm

The thing I can't believe the most is how they don't understand that Corey Marshal's VO performance is trying to retain the same tone and speech pattern from the original. They really just don't get it do they?!?!?! I mean common, everyone wanted Corey Marshall back because we all want to hear him say "1 game.....*10 second pause*......100 yen"
That's what we love! But no, these IGN money hat's with their A/T Porsche Boxter's and Oakley sunglasses want to piss on us don't they? Well you know what? I love it! Bring it on! Shenmue 3 for life.
Last edited by Axm on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Mr357 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Axm wrote:But no, these IGN money hat's with their A/T Porsche Boxter's

Please tell me this isn't real.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Axm wrote:But no, these IGN money hat's with their A/T Porsche Boxter's

Please tell me this isn't real.

Oh it is. Just think of the advantages...

..the mind can only fathom. And these IGN fucks think they can just hop right in, go to the local Whole Foods, buy a Fiji Water and Hummus? Then go to Del Taco and order the Hamburger?! I can't take this right now guys. Shenmue 3 is the greatest game of all time, possibly for the forever.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Jokes aside, critics will undoubtedly shit on Shenmue 3... I mean, look at all those clicks waiting to be baited... Irresistible!
If the early reportings from journalists are anything to go by, they've already made up their minds it will be bad, disappointing, and Suzuki is an out of touch hack who stole your money.

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: Axm
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonikku » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 pm

It is unsurprising IGN would give the game a 6 given the bad wrap the series has gotten in the past. What's more surprising is the Wii X being such a commercial smash that Nintendo bought out Sony. :shock:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Axm
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiske » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:53 am

Honestly. I could live with a 6 and would definitely be ok with a 7.

Now don't throw stones at me.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby SMDzero » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:49 am

I found the review:

Shenmue 3 is unique in that it's the first game in the Shenmue franchise developed exclusively for a non-Sega system. In addition, the game marks the first sequel in 17 years in Yu Suzuki's FREE series. Due to a greatly diminished kickstarter budget, Shenmue 3 uses a primitive 3D engine that would put Superman 64 to shame and has thrown in some useless token RPG elements for good measure.

Shenmue 3 focuses on the continuing adventures of Ryo Hazuki, the autistic hero in Suzuki's franchise. The storyline is a simple one: Ryo, a martial arts master, is contracted by a mysterious girl Shenhua, to rescue her father and retrieve a mysterious mirror. On his quest Ryo encounters Lan Di, his fathers killer who is guarding the mirror. A fight breaks out and, once defeated, Ryo learns of ulterior motives, lies and the rest of his journey. And so you have it. It's not much of a story, but those of us who have played the horrible previous Shenmue games knew that, didn't we?

Utilizing an ugly 3D engine, dithered and blurry backgrounds, and indifferent rotation/scaling effects, the game is visually unimpressive. Low resolution 2D sprite-based NPCs have been implemented to get rid of the pop-in effect that plagued the previous games. A fixed camera generally captures the action from a zoomed-out view, but occasionally zooms in as Ryo goes from place to place. On a brighter side, the lighting effects in the game are up to par, illuminating characters as they come closer to lit objects and so on. The PC version of Shenmue 3, however, is identical to the Playstation 4 version graphically and it has FMV cut-scenes instead of screen-shots and text torture-scenes on Sony's platform. Way to take advantage of that power. In all honesty, if we were told that YsNet had slipped a Sega Genesis emulator into the PS4 to run this game we wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

What Shenmue 3 lacks in graphic prowess it lacks even more in the gameplay department. Ryo runs, jumps, and snaps multiple P-P-K combos as he progresses through the game. Jumping is performed via the analog stick or the control pad. YsNet opted not to go with jump button as it might have made the game playable. Even worse, turning around is performed via the triangle button. Wouldn't it have been more practical to of used one of the buttons for jumping and instead made turning around available through the control pad or analog stick? Players are expected to ignore instinct (which constantly suggests pressing down on the analog stick to turn around) and instead must press a button to perform the task. When engaged in a battle, especially when multiple enemies are on-screen, this becomes more than just a nuisance. It's unintuitive control at its very best.

Level design is equally bad. The entire game is based around "die and re-try" stages. In other words, players often come to a certain point in a level where they are immediately killed and then must re-continue, now aware of the hidden obstacle. The first stage being a prime example, while Ryo is being chased out of a stone pit by a falling boulder, he is suddenly crushed by a stone pillar hiding in the ceiling. Other times players must take leaps of faith, praying that something solid will be close by to catch their fall. It's just bad game design.

In trying to add more diversity to the game Yu Suzuki's team has also included some RPG elements. Players can access Shenmue 3's skill tree via the l2 trigger where new moves and combos can be purchased,that help Ryo along his journey. Keys must be used in certain areas to unlock doors and can only be accessed via the menu screen. Ryo, as he performs more combos, learns special moves as well. A pit-blow and swallow kick, which can both be obtained quickly and easy, help to beat the 4 main bosses at the end in an epic battle in a donut shaped Chinese fort.

The music and sound effects in Shenmue 3 are decent. Wind whines in the background when Ryo is on ledges and ambient music plays throughout most of the stages and cut-scenes, highlighting the action. Unfortunately, the sound level is calibrated at an annoyingly low level and must be turned up all the way just to be heard clearly.

Luckily, Shenmue 3 retains all the cheesy voice acting that made the franchise great anyway. Ryo walks all around Bailu Village asking about sailors; eventually the confused populace give Ryo the job of local fisherman. It's not very realistic, but it doesn't matter -- it's classic Shenmue.

The Verdict
Shenmue 3 is a perfect example of what can happen when unrealistic expectations are placed on a game. Everything seems to be thrown together in a big pile of mindless re-hash, blurry graphics and horrible level design, all topped off with a crappy fighting mechanic and the Shenmue name. The sad part is that the game will probably sell like crap anyway making Shenmue 4 even less likely . Unless you're Shenmue crazy, don't appreciate good videogames or are looking to punish your bastard kids this holiday season, we recommend avoiding this atrocity.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiske » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:57 am

Everything has been said... can we close this thread now, please? :-&
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:00 am

Kiske wrote: Everything has been said... can we close this thread now, please? :-&

Yes, the OP has been kicked for trolling/creating multiple accounts anyway... [-X
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue III