First time playing shenmue 2. A little history. any tips?

(Chapters 3-6)

First time playing shenmue 2. A little history. any tips?

Postby Elfo7 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 pm

First post

Hi all and First of all sorry for my English:).

Im pretty happy right now. Im 32. I played shenmue when I was much younger and I felt that it was a really deep game. Why am I happy? Because after 14 years I will play Shenmue 2 and I will know how the story continues before Shenmue 3 arrives on late 2017.

You are probably wondering why I haven't played this game yet. Well. When I was young I had to travel to Galicia ( far north west in Spain) for work. When I had to travel back, I was carrying my Dreamcast in a bag. When I got down from the bus my bag just wasn't there. My Dreamcast was stolen. I was sad. I had almost no money at the time and my Dreamcast was something that I really liked. Because I made a lot of friends and had great experiences with the DC.

So obviously all my games were in the same bag that got stolen. I eventually forgot about it. But one month ago, and as a huge, huge videogame fan, I remembered that I played almost all the great sagas in videogames (Zelda, MGS, Baldurs Gate, Mass effect, etcetc) but one that I wasn't able to continue was Shenmue.

Good thing is that now I want my Dreamcast back. I bought one that is almost unused and my original copies of Shenmue 1 and 2 are on their way.

I'm gonna enjoy a game that I know I will love (loved shenmue 1 to pieces) and I will be able to know what happens after 14 years. And I know it will continue the next year. Being a great videogame fan in excited because I'm gonna play a masterpiece in 2016 even if its an old game. I know I will enjoy it

I was wondering if you have any tips for shenmue 2. I beat 1 and even beat Chai but don't know nothing about 2. The good thing is that even after all this years I don't know what happens in the second game.

This is like enjoying a fine vintage wine in the form of a videogame... Hehe.
Last edited by Elfo7 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elfo7 has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Elfo7
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: First time playing shenmue. A little history. any tips?

Postby Elfo7 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:55 pm

Oh and I'm gonna import save from Shenmue 1...
Elfo7
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: First time playing shenmue 2. A little history. any tips

Postby SMDzero » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Elfo7 wrote: First post

Hi all and First of all sorry for my English:).

Im pretty happy right now. Im 32. I played shenmue when I was much younger and I felt that it was a really deep game. Why am I happy? Because after 14 years I will play Shenmue 2 and I will know how the story continues before Shenmue 3 arrives on late 2017.

You are probably wondering why I haven't played this game yet. Well. When I was young I had to travel to Galicia ( far north west in Spain) for work. When I had to travel back, I was carrying my Dreamcast in a bag. When I got down from the bus my bag just wasn't there. My Dreamcast was stolen. I was sad. I had almost no money at the time and my Dreamcast was something that I really liked. Because I made a lot of friends and had great experiences with the DC.

So obviously all my games were in the same bag that got stolen. I eventually forgot about it. But one month ago, and as a huge, huge videogame fan, I remembered that I played almost all the great sagas in videogames (Zelda, MGS, Baldurs Gate, Mass effect, etcetc) but one that I wasn't able to continue was Shenmue.

Good thing is that now I want my Dreamcast back. I bought one that is almost unused and my original copies of Shenmue 1 and 2 are on their way.

I'm gonna enjoy a game that I know I will love (loved shenmue 1 to pieces) and I will be able to know what happens after 14 years. And I know it will continue the next year. Being a great videogame fan in excited because I'm gonna play a masterpiece in 2016 even if its an old game. I know I will enjoy it

I was wondering if you have any tips for shenmue 2. I beat 1 and even beat Chai but don't know nothing about 2. The good thing is that even after all this years I don't know what happens in the second game.

This is like enjoying a fine vintage wine in the form of a videogame... Hehe.

I should have been in your boat; how I envy you!

I didn't play Shenmue 2 until late 2003.. I was sure by then that Shenmue 3 would be announced in the next year or so.

Then 2004 came and Shenmue Online was announced.....ug!

Shenmue 2 is leaps and bounds superior to Shenmue 1 which was itself outstanding.

The sequel takes the ideas that Shenmue 1 started and goes way further with them.

Shenmue 2 will fundamentally change what you believe a video game can be.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Elfo7 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:12 pm

Yeah. I hope you're right. Playing this game after all this years is very special to me.
Elfo7
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Great story. Just make sure you enjoy every second of Shenmue 2. Maybe you can take a week or two off from work?

If Shenmue will come out during its current time schedule, you will only have to wait for about one and a half years after playing 2, before you can play 3. :D
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Elfo7 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:42 pm

That's one of the reasons why I didn't play the second one. I just can't stand not knowing how it ends. Hopefully they will finish this series in the epic way they deserve. My Shenmue 2 copy is arriving on Monday. My Dreamcast also arrived today and works flawlessly. Almost brand new.

Now I just need to wait for the vga cable so I can get playing already :p
Elfo7
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:07 am

I hate to be the one who tells you, dude, but S3 will not conclude the story. S4 or maybe even S5 will. Maybe you should leave your copy of S3 untouched for a few years because you'll have to wait for number 4 or even 5 to finish the story.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Elfo7 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:51 pm

I obviously know that. They will probably make 5 games . What I really mean is that I know the story will continue. Before they announced 3 I thought shenmue was over. I don't care about waiting, as long as I know that the story will end.
Elfo7
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Zoltor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 am

Shenmue 2 improves, and expands upon everything that made the 1st game so good, so Shenmue 2 will blow your mind.

General tips for Shenmue 2? Lol you have no idea, Shenmue 2 has so many nuances to just about everything, making it impossible to give "general" tips.

The only general tip I can give, that while Shenmue 1 made this the case, It's even more true in Shenmue 2, is talk to NPC(especially the more important ones)multiple times. Also do such often too, NPCs have a lot to say in this game, and every time the story progresses even a tad, they have ever increasing more stuff to say. Over 15 years after the game came out, and people are still discovering new dialog, that people didn't know about.

Other then that, general tips can't really be given, as everything else is so situational based on how the player is going about such.

There's a semi general hint that could help you access alternative scenarios, while there's a few QTEs, that if you fail, you go to a retry option(signifying that you die in those few, if you fail), the vast majority of the time, failing QTEs will lead to either alternative scenarios or some really funny moments, so yea, don't be afraid to fail QTEs(hell sometimes you may even want to purposely fail, to see what happens)

Aside from that, it really depends on how you are playing the game, and what you're looking to do. Example: In your case, you're importing Shenmue 1 save data. Now in most cases this wouldn't be a problem, but if you want to do the Fang Mei Birthday side quest, you're going to want to skip time failing a specific QTE(that lets you speed through the days), as Fang Mei's Birthday is in March, and if you are importing Shenmue 1 save, odds are, you wont be anywhere even close to march.

Things like that, so yea, there really Isn't much in the way, that people can give you as general advice, as almost everything people could give advice on, really depends on how the game is being played, and what you are going for. This being you're first time playing, and you not even really looking into it, you should just play it through, and experience the greatness that is Shenmue 2, after that you'll have a better idea, on what you may need/want advice on, depending on what you're doing in the game.

Enjoy :) Shenmue 2 is the king of masterpieces, so you're in for a truly epic adventure.
Last edited by Zoltor on Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:01 pm

I would recommend just jumping into it.
It feels nice to play the game just like how Ryo is experiencing the new areas as a tourist/traveler.
Specifically, as being lost in the world trying to find your way.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Elfo7 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Zoltor wrote: Shenmue 2 improves, and expands upon everything that made the 1st game so good, so Shenmue 2 will blow your mind.

General tips for Shenmue 2? Lol you have no idea, Shenmue 2 has so many nuances to just about everything, making it impossible to give "general" tips.

The only general tip I can give, that while Shenmue 1 made this the case, It's even more true in Shenmue 2, is talk to NPC(especially the more important ones)multiple times. Also do such often too, NPCs have a lot to say in this game, and every time the story progresses even a tad, they have ever increasing more stuff to say. Over 15 years after the game came out, and people are still discovering new dialog, that people didn't know about.

Other then that, general tips can't really be given, as everything else is so situational based on how the player is going about such.

There's a semi general hint that could help you access alternative scenarios, while there's a few QTEs, that if you fail, you go to a retry option(signifying that you die in those few, if you fail), the fast majority of the time, failing QTEs will lead to either alternative scenarios or some really funny moments, so yea, don't be a afraid to fail QTEs(hell sometimes you may even want to purposely fail, to see what happens)

Aside from that, it really depends on how you are playing the game, and what you're looking to do. Example: In your case, you're importing Shenmue 1 save data. Now in most cases this wouldn't be a problem, but if you want to do then Fang Mei Birthday side quest, you're going to want to skip time failing a specific QTE(that's lets you speed through the days), as Fang Mei's Birthday is in March, and if you are importing Shenmue 1 save, odds are, you wont be anywhere even close to march.

Things like that, so yea, there really Isn't much in the way, that people can give you as general advice, as almost everything people could give advice on, really depends on how the game is being played, and what you are going for. This being you're first time playing, and you not even really looking into it, you should just play it through, and experience the greatness that is Shenmue 2, after that you'll have a better idea, on what you may need/want advice on, depending on what you're doing in the game.

Enjoy :) Shenmue 2 is the king of masterpieces, so you're in for a truly epic adventure.

That was a good read with some good tips. Ty.
Elfo7
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Zoltor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Yep np, glad to help :)
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Shenmue II