What's your biggest Shenmue mystery?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What's your biggest Shenmue mystery?

Postby GYO6161 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:19 am

Why can't SEGA get their head out of their asses and release a Shenmue HD already. Defo my biggest mystery.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:49 am

GYO6161 wrote: Why can't SEGA get their head out of their asses and release a Shenmue HD already. Defo my biggest mystery.

Speaking of which, their biggest excuse, is complete, and utter BS. "Licensing," lol, and the sad thing is, they have been spouting that lie for so long, they probally believe it.

What makes it all the more iron, is that there was a lic problem back when Shenmue 1 came out, with Coco cola, but that didn't stop them from releasing the game outside of Japan, infact it didn't even slow such down.

To BlueMue: I hate to break the news to you, but you're going to still be waiting, as that's not going to happen until atleast Shenmue 4.

I'm pretty damn positive I know what happened between Iwao, and Sunming, and even how it came about
Shenhua's birth parents were murdered by Sunming either because they were the guardians of the Dragon Mirror or they knew who was the guardian. Iwao hears that they were killed, and someone with evil ambitions stole the Dragon Mirror, so he goes to Hong Kong/China to find, as well as confront him. Then despite taking the diplomatic approach, and trying to reason with him, all hell breaks loose. Either Sunmings ambitions lead him to have a accident or he is forced into killing Sunming in self defense. then that brings us to Shenmue 1

Zoltor has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SMDzero » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 am

[quote="Henry Spencer"]

Why did Fuku-san randomly turn up to You Arcade when Chai beat the shit out if Ryo? And does he never change out of his Gi (martial arts uniform)?

Because Fuku-San literally has no other clothes because he's destitute and is forced to be the Hazuki family slave.

Why does Ine-san keep the Hazuki household money hostage from Ryo?

Because Ryo is too stupid to realize that Ine-San is his employee and he can fire her ass at any time.

Why is Megumi's mother such a bitch and leaves that kitten out in the cold for so long before finally letting Megumi keep it?

The cat was evil, it molested Yagamashi san.. that's why his back was bad.

Why does Tom go back to America exactly? Immigration officers chasing after him?

Because Tom was an illegal immigrant and sold poisoned hot dogs to school children.

Why does Goro suddenly become such a nice guy when he was threatening people at the Harbour?

Because that was actually Goro's evil twin brother, Kintaro.

Why are Tony & Smith everywhere, all of the time?

They're actually standing outside your door.... right now.

Does Niao Sun have breast enlargement implants or are they natural?

Lan Di offered to pay for her breast enhancements.. he was tired of motorboating Master Chen's saggy man boobs all day..

What kind of diet is Dou Niu on?

He eats literally everything.. except carrots.

Is Yuan pre-op or post-op?

Are you seriously suggesting you find Yuan more attractive than Nozomi???

Why is the move scroll Lucky Hit stand so much harder than the rest of them anywhere else in the game? And was it designed by a tosser?

Who cares? I'd rather try a game of 'lucky hit' with Joy.

Why does Ryo Hazuki have a Sega Saturn in the late Eighties? Time travel?

Yes. And for his latest time travel exploit.. watch Ryo travel 15 years into the future in Shenmue 3.

SMDzero has received 2 thanks from: -=SPZ=-47, Yokosuka
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueMue » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:24 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Why does Ryo Hazuki have a Sega Saturn in the late Eighties? Time travel?

Iwao is voiced by Hiroshi Fujioka. In other words, Ryo's father is none other than Segata Sanshiro.
If there's one guy that's able to have a Saturn in 86, it's gotta be him. I keep bringing this up, do I?

BlueMue has received 4 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Mr357, myshtuff, Yokosuka
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:55 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Why does Tom go back to America exactly?

This one's easy: because no one ever buys his frickin' hotdogs!

No matter how many moves he teaches them!

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

Yep!

Tom has a really subtle sub-plot in the original Shenmue. Talking to him/other characters through the game reveals he's going broke and his business is dying on its arse.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:26 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

Yep!

Tom has a really subtle sub-plot in the original Shenmue. Talking to him/other characters through the game reveals he's going broke and his business is dying on its arse.

New to me. What exactly does he say?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:36 pm

Himuro wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

Yep!

I forget the exact words, but I remember it being a super emotional scene. I don't think It's a stretch, to call the acting in that scene, actually good too, which is weird seeing how bad the rest of the English acting in "Shenmue 1" is.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Monkei wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: There are so many big mysteries in Shenmue. I'll try to cut it down to my personal top 5:

1) Who was Ryo's mother and how and when did she die?
2) What happened in Meng Cun when Iwao was there?
3) Who are the 4 leaders of the Chi You Men and who is Tentei?
4) What do the two mirrors actually do when combined?
5) What move is the mysterious scroll from the Hazuki Dojo?

These would be some of the biggest questions I have, but I still did not include many, many others. :D

I don't think Ryo's mom is important. I think someone (Yu Suzuki?) even stated in an interview a while back that they originally had her planned as a character in the first game, but later changed the script and wrote her out. Can't find a source for that right now though.

The thing is, we don't know what's the deal with Ryo's mother. She might be unimportant, we might even never learn who she was, even after the whole story is finished. Also it's been 15 years since S2. Yu might even have changed his plans for the mother. We'll have to wait and see. 8) :-k
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Perhaps he decided to make the point that some kids sadly do grow up without their mother, as an unfortunate fact of life, without her absence having to be explained by a vengeful martial arts plot encompassing ancient armies and dragons.

There's no reason why Ryo's home life had to be ideal before Lan Di came on the scene that day. Having hints of other struggles laying visibly but innocuously in the background while this all kicks off just adds to the game's realism, instead of presenting Ryo as an empty vessel whose life began the moment the player took control.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:47 am

Himuro wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

Yep!

When looking for sailors/bars, talking to Tom gives information but also he says he's "too broke to drink".

I can't remember at what points in the story the other stuff comes up, but the general impression when talking to Tom and Honey is that he doesn't get a lot of business.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:04 pm

My biggest Shenmue mystery is how exactly would fantasy elements play out in the series.

Zoltor wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: Why can't SEGA get their head out of their asses and release a Shenmue HD already. Defo my biggest mystery.

Speaking of which, their biggest excuse, is complete, and utter BS. "Licensing," lol, and the sad thing is, they have been spouting that lie for so long, they probally believe it.

What makes it all the more iron, is that there was a lic problem back when Shenmue 1 came out, with Coco cola, but that didn't stop them from releasing the game outside of Japan, infact it didn't even slow such down.

You have to understand than in SEGA's standards, having to change 3 or 4 textures is too much work. :lol:

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received 2 thanks from: GYO6161, Mr357
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Perhaps he decided to make the point that some kids sadly do grow up without their mother, as an unfortunate fact of life, without her absence having to be explained by a vengeful martial arts plot encompassing ancient armies and dragons.

There's no reason why Ryo's home life had to be ideal before Lan Di came on the scene that day. Having hints of other struggles laying visibly but innocuously in the background while this all kicks off just adds to the game's realism, instead of presenting Ryo as an empty vessel whose life began the moment the player took control.

Well said. Even the fact that the very first thing we see in the first game is Ryo running home implies we're slap-bang in the middle of something, instead of kicking things off at the thin end of the wedge with some grand opening chock full of credits, explosions, and such. It immediately creates a sense of mystery and intrigue as to what has occurred.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:45 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Perhaps he decided to make the point that some kids sadly do grow up without their mother, as an unfortunate fact of life, without her absence having to be explained by a vengeful martial arts plot encompassing ancient armies and dragons.

Well said. Even the fact that the very first thing we see in the first game is Ryo running home implies we're slap-bang in the middle of something, instead of kicking things off at the thin end of the wedge with some grand opening chock full of credits, explosions, and such. It immediately creates a sense of mystery and intrigue as to what has occurred.

Right! How did Ryo actually know there was something going wrong back home? Because he definitely knew it. He was rushing back home, not just walking. Who told him and what?

Let's take a look at options:
- Ine-san calls Ryo.
Very unlikely since it's hard to reach someone who doesn't have a cellphone. It's 1986 after all. Unless Ryo was calling. But they never mention it in the game... Or do they?

- Some random guy tells him that first black car ever has parked in front of Ryos home and Ryo's like \:D/ gotta see!
Just kidding, but this theory has as much right to exist as the first one...

- A witness beside Ine-san and Fuku-san?
Never heard of, but appearently there HAS to be one! In fact There's so much space for a whole story!

This is officially my biggest mystery now.
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby KidMarine » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:53 pm

-=SPZ=-47 wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

Right! How did Ryo actually know there was something going wrong back home? Because he definitely knew it. He was rushing back home, not just walking. Who told him and what?

Let's take a look at options:
- Ine-san calls Ryo.
Very unlikely since it's hard to reach someone who doesn't have a cellphone. It's 1986 after all. Unless Ryo was calling. But they never mention it in the game... Or do they?

- Some random guy tells him that first black car ever has parked in front of Ryos home and Ryo's like \:D/ gotta see!
Just kidding, but this theory has as much right to exist as the first one...

- A witness beside Ine-san and Fuku-san?
Never heard of, but appearently there HAS to be one! In fact There's so much space for a whole story!

This is officially my biggest mystery now.

He sensed a disturbance in the force.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III