Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

Postby shredingskin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:33 am

Spaghetti wrote:Mm. I've seen this theory a few times before, and it's certainly got some strong evidence backing it up. Still, there's always a chance they're including the sequence for nostalgic reasons, but I definitely wouldn't shoot down the idea that Shenmue III opens with a quick recap of Disk 4.

I'm one of those strongly shipping SIII starts at gd4, just because I hope they change the fucking flying sword and lasers and bring it a little more to earth, also guilin was such a change of pace that feels different from SII and a nice start (since people picking up the game without playing SII would not know what the fuck is happening. If SIII starts at disk 4 they only need to know "you followed your father killer to here", also it explains a bit about the mirrors and shit.

Would be a wise choice IMO.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:41 am

Seriously, I think this idea is complete nonsense. That would send a massive disrespect towards the original game and demonstrate that Shenmue is made in a total amateurish way with nothing really canon. Shenmue is not a fanfiction.com work.

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, SickOctopus
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Puffin_Chronic » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:54 am

shredingskin wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:Mm. I've seen this theory a few times before, and it's certainly got some strong evidence backing it up. Still, there's always a chance they're including the sequence for nostalgic reasons, but I definitely wouldn't shoot down the idea that Shenmue III opens with a quick recap of Disk 4.

I'm one of those strongly shipping SIII starts at gd4, just because I hope they change the fucking flying sword and lasers and bring it a little more to earth, also guilin was such a change of pace that feels different from SII and a nice start (since people picking up the game without playing SII would not know what the fuck is happening. If SIII starts at disk 4 they only need to know "you followed your father killer to here", also it explains a bit about the mirrors and shit.

Would be a wise choice IMO.

Pretty sure I heard Yu talk about the cave scene recently. It sounded like he would leave it the same, but wouldn't have "magic" in the continued story. He also made sure he differentiated magic from Chi, as Chi is real, he gave an example of monks. You can see a test done at a university on youtube of monks raising their body temperature so high that when wet towels were placed on them they could make the water steam off. Pretty cool shit.

Why would he change the canon? That was a very spiritual place, where the mirrors were created, why do you think Lan Di wants the mirrors? I don't think he wants them because they look pretty. They have a purpose...

Puffin_Chronic has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Puffin_Chronic
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Puffin_Chronic
XBL: purpleINDICA420

Postby shredingskin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:00 pm

It was just so in your face and out of nowhere.

It would just be kinda weird thinking how the game to keep being somewhat realistic after seeing a floating sword, like what would the reaction of ryo be ?

Ryo: well, that was strange
Shenhua: in the village animals always levitate shit and stuff, japan must be a weird place.

??

I don't mind magic realism, chi and whatnot, but to me that moment felt so out of place.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Puffin_Chronic » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:07 pm

He did also say they knew they wouldn't be able to finish the story and wanted to go out with a bang. Maybe he can still incorporate it all. Phantom River Stone may have magnetic properties and that could explain all the levitation. But we still don't know what the mirrors can do or their purpose, so they could have some ancient Chi stuff going on? I mean, the mirrors are the story, not just revenge, so why the fuck are they so important? Gotta be huge!
Puffin_Chronic

Postby shredingskin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:14 pm

They could instead of doing some lasers coming out of nowhere just some prisms concentrating some light or whatever (it's still quite "magic" but doesn't break the realism the game had going for 5 seconds).

In the original scene all the floating and all the lasers was just to set fire to a rope that showed the big mirrors, there are countless of ways to do that without breaking immersion too much.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:51 pm

Yu stated in the past that the only reason they put the "in your face magical stuff" at the end of Shenmue 2 was because they feared they wouldn't be able to make a Shenmue 3 given that the Dreamcast was being pulled by Sega around the time of Mue 2's release (that - and the fact Sega wouldn't put anymore money into the series any longer). They wanted the ending to go out with a bang - even if it remained unfinished. It makes sense that he would rewrite the ending of Disc 4 for Shenmue 3 now that it's in development so we see a more natural growth of the spiritual material in Shenmue.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alexh86 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:32 pm

Why does the rock jumping scene have to mean we'll play through disc four again? Ryo and Shenhua traveled through the jungle to get to her house, why wouldn't they have to travel through more jungle to get to the first main area in the new game? I don't think we'll play through significant portions of the previous game, I think we will start back at her house immediately following the cave scene. Shenmue II let Shenmue (I) stand on its own and presumed previous knowledge of the story. I hope Shenmue III does the same for Shenmue II. I thought the final scene of Shenmue II was absolutely brilliant, I never once felt the magic was out of place--to me the deepening of Ryo and Shenhua's connections alluded to the mystical or spiritual.

These updates are great, can't wait to get my hands on the trial version $100+ backers will be given!!

alexh86 has received 2 thanks from: Gavan, Let's Get Sweaty
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 pm

This month - QTEs

Next month - FREE, or FREE Battle?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:28 pm

No way the ending of Shenmue 2 isn't cannon.

It would truly messed up if the ending was re-worked for the beginning of Shenmue 3.

If that happens, then essentially we will have not received the true sequel to Shenmue 2.

We HAVE to know why that sword floated!!

SMDzero has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Puffin_Chronic » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 pm

SMDzero wrote: No way the ending of Shenmue 2 isn't cannon.

It would truly messed up if the ending was re-worked for the beginning of Shenmue 3.

If that happens, then essentially we will have not received the true sequel to Shenmue 2.

We HAVE to know why that sword floated!!

Exactly! Everyone I know got crazy hyped by the ending. Just cause it was a little mystical, doesn't change anything. Something about the mirrors IS mystical, and you were at the birthplace of both mirrors, obviously something special about it.

I think it'll be a lot harder to sell the majority of people that the cliffhanger they have been waiting to resolve for 15 years is just written over. I for one will be ultra pissed if they pretend that shit didn't happen. 15 years dreaming about it, then "yeah, that was just some bullshit we threw in there", Fuck that. Canon is canon. Why the hell are we chasing after the Dragon mirror if its just some meaningless rock?

Puffin_Chronic has received 2 thanks from: Gavan, Let's Get Sweaty
Puffin_Chronic

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:10 pm

Add me to the "100% against retconning a damn thing" club.

Spaghetti wrote:It also seems confirmed that animals will be in the game, as I noticed "Crow" was in the asset list.

That will be an exclusive restaurant menu option for non-backers.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: ShenmueTree, Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm against retconning anything as well.

Except that uh, Ryo should have spent the night with Joy at Come Over Guest House, ahem.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:43 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: I'm against retconning anything as well.

Except that uh, Ryo should have spent the night with Joy at Come Over Guest House, ahem.

I'm pretty sure Ryo already did that. More than once.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Bellator » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Very good update. This is what I allways had in mind that an update should be for a kickstarter project.
A video with game developers showing off some of the stuff they are working on without spoilers.
Hope they keep this up.
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III