Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:35 am

Kiske wrote: I've the feeling the next Kickstarter update will be (at least partially) about the Kickstarter Backers dinner.

What are your thoughts/expectations?

I don't think it'll be that. Although, anybody who was there personally is free to correct me with a nudge and a wink if cameras were present.

I do think we may see a little bit of what the backers at the dinner got to see of the game. Not all of it, however. Judging from comments in "Chasing Shenmue", Yu may have shown a little too much.

Either way, another dev room video would be nice. A look at combat would be interesting, too.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:12 am

Kiske wrote: I've the feeling the next Kickstarter update will be (at least partially) about the Kickstarter Backers dinner.

What are your thoughts/expectations?

A reward offered for any information that leads to the safe return of Yu Suzuki, before his family realizes he's missing.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:37 pm

A little late, but anyone else hoping that running animation is placeholder? I was hoping they'd try to replicate Ryo's perky and energetic running animation from 1 & 2, while giving it a modern polish.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: A little late, but anyone else hoping that running animation is placeholder? I was hoping they'd try to replicate Ryo's perky and energetic running animation from 1 & 2, while giving it a modern polish.

I'm not sure we've seen enough of it to judge tbh, the animation jumping the rocks needs more polish/blending but the really brief snippet of FREE gameplay seemed okay?

I also keep getting excited when I see "Kickstarter Update..." in recently active threads... but let down when I realise it was last month's. Haha.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Aimless Gamer
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:49 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote: A little late, but anyone else hoping that running animation is placeholder? I was hoping they'd try to replicate Ryo's perky and energetic running animation from 1 & 2, while giving it a modern polish.

I'm not sure we've seen enough of it to judge tbh, the animation jumping the rocks needs more polish/blending but the really brief snippet of FREE gameplay seemed okay?

It's not horrible or anything, so yeah, it's 'Okay'.
But it lacked the determination and energy of the old running animation... He seemed...jogging? Well, it's too early to say.

Maybe it's not just Walking and Sprinting only, they added jogging?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:50 pm

If you're talking about the QTE footage at the beginning of the video, then you would need to compare it with the equivalent scene in Shenmue II, where Ryo's run-up to the river is a cut scene and very different to his standard running animation.

I imagine the same applies to the later footage of Ryo dodging falling rocks - a specially animated cut scene with QTEs rather than direct control with his main running animation.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:10 pm

The animation is totally crap you mean. Shenmue III would not be a Shenmue if the game has ordinary animation. Although YSnet didn't chose the easy path by employing the tricky ragdoll.

YSnet still didn't talk about face motion capture btw but I can deal with it. Shenmue Dreamcast characters didn't need this to feel alive and expressive.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:40 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:It's not horrible or anything, so yeah, it's 'Okay'.
But it lacked the determination and energy of the old running animation... He seemed...jogging? Well, it's too early to say.

Maybe it's not just Walking and Sprinting only, they added jogging?

Who knows at this stage? It does seem a bit more like Ryo's Shenmue II run where they decreased his speed a bit. I'm not even sure we saw the whole animation cycle in that glimpse, however. It'll be interesting to see how it looks/how the controls work when we see more advanced footage. The camera positioning looked very Shenmue-like though.

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: If you're talking about the QTE footage at the beginning of the video, then you would need to compare it with the equivalent scene in Shenmue II, where Ryo's run-up to the river is a cut scene and very different to his standard running animation.

I imagine the same applies to the later footage of Ryo dodging falling rocks - a specially animated cut scene with QTEs rather than direct control with his main running animation.

I'm not sure the run-up was a cutscene you know. You can see the watch graphic and the "using placeholder materials etc etc" disclaimer down the bottom before it flashed into QTE/cutscene, so maybe there's an in-game element to trigger the QTEs; in this case taking a run up to the river bank before leaping.

Also, the rockfall event jumping animation seemed cribbed from the first Kickstarter video; which would make sense seeing how that event looked far earlier in development than the river one.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:03 am

And you're right, the coming update will focus on the backers dinner. :)

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:56 am

Yokosuka wrote:

And you're right, the coming update will focus on the backers dinner. :)

:-"

Kiske has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:16 am

Guess I was wrong. Oh well. I feel excited all the same, because as YSnet pull their cards closer to their chest, I feel like we may genuinely get something bigger than we've seen so far at the end of the year.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Previous

Return to Shenmue III