Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Peter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:00 pm

Spaghetti wrote: People are going to be mad... for about a week. Then it's business as usual looking towards the next update.

I don't know dude, moving the disappointment from tonight aside, there is a valid argument that they have revealed nothing in 10 months, and this game is a year from release (as we stand). They have an ongoing PayPal, with reneged confirmations of additions to that including upgrades and PC addition. The monthly updates have been wafer thin at best, and i question that they would even show a full blown trailer as an update. Something like that deserves a full audience.

I've put up with Awesome Japan's questionable antics, but this is getting out of hand now, and there needs to be answers of some sorts.

Peter has received a thanks from: RiGoRmOrTiS
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby BlackHeaven » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:03 pm

My answer is, they just dont care about public exposure, i can not find any other reason to justify this poor decision of not showing anything
BlackHeaven
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:08 pm

Peter wrote:I don't know dude, moving the disappointment from tonight aside, there is a valid argument that they have revealed nothing in 10 months, and this game is a year from release (as we stand). They have an ongoing PayPal, with reneged confirmations of additions to that including upgrades and PC addition. The monthly updates have been wafer thin at best, and i question that they would even show a full blown trailer as an update. Something like that deserves a full audience.

I've put up with Awesome Japan's questionable antics, but this is getting out of hand now, and there needs to be answers of some sorts.

Oh believe me, I get it.

But there's not really much more we can do but wait. This will blow over, for lack of a better term. Once they actually show something a lot will probably be forgiven.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:12 pm

BlackHeaven wrote: My answer is, they just dont care about public exposure, i can not find any other reason to justify this poor decision of not showing anything

No, there's another reason; which is Yu Suzuki's desire to impress.

I guess we should have seen this coming after learning the E3 trailer was pulled last minute, but I honestly think it couldn't happen again. I can't really blame Yu for holding footage back again if he wasn't happy with it in his eyes.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Amir, FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:16 pm

BlackHeaven wrote: My answer is, they just dont care about public exposure, i can not find any other reason to justify this poor decision of not showing anything

I think we should not forget that the development of Shenmue III is purposely special as Suzuki talked about adopting the "Agile" methodology. From what I understand, that's mean showing early a final concept is more difficult than if the game was made in a traditional way. Perhaps they were still a bit close for showing something consistent enough.

Or perhaps YSnet wanted a hot spot over the show (intro or one more thing) but Sony couldn't. That would be another valuable theory in my opinion.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Peter wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: People are going to be mad... for about a week. Then it's business as usual looking towards the next update.

I don't know dude, moving the disappointment from tonight aside, there is a valid argument that they have revealed nothing in 10 months, and this game is a year from release (as we stand). They have an ongoing PayPal, with reneged confirmations of additions to that including upgrades and PC addition. The monthly updates have been wafer thin at best, and i question that they would even show a full blown trailer as an update. Something like that deserves a full audience.

10 months?

Even then, backers who didn't pay 10,000 haven't seen that footage in direct feed. We almost a year away from Magic Monaco footage was shown and still the only thing we've seen is cam footage.

At this point I am convinced this game is in trouble and that the team have no idea what they're doing. What other conclusion am I supposed to come to if they have footage they have shown to 10k backers but literally no one else on the planet?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shenhaZ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:21 pm

I hope Shenmue 3 re-reveal would not be just a 'story trailer'

A wide audience should see that this game is not just a 'yakuza ancestor', but a legend and a fun game to play by itself, because of the variety of mini-games, complex fighting system, fully voice-acted crowd, and etc.

So for re-reveal, dev team should prepare a lot of different parts of the game which should be at least in alpha stage. And I guess right now not all of them is ready yet.
shenhaZ
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Lucky Hit

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:22 pm

Spaghetti wrote:

No, there's another reason; which is Yu Suzuki's desire to impress.

I guess we should have seen this coming after learning the E3 trailer was pulled last minute, but I honestly think it couldn't happen again. I can't really blame Yu for holding footage back again if he wasn't happy with it in his eyes.

There's a quote that is relevant here:

"Imperfect action is better than perfection inaction."

Basically, perfection will solve nothing and will only complicate matters.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Himuro wrote:10 months?

Even then, backers who didn't pay 10,000 haven't seen that footage in direct feed. We almost a year away from Magic Monaco footage was shown and still the only thing we've seen is cam footage.

At this point I am convinced this game is in trouble and that the team have no idea what they're doing. What other conclusion am I supposed to come to if they have footage they have shown to 10k backers but literally no one else on the planet?

I don't really know how you can glean that the project is in trouble if they're not ready to show, or that they "don''t know what they're doing". You're probably just saying that because, like the rest of us, you're disappointed.

Himuro wrote:There's a quote that is relevant here:

"Imperfect action is better than perfection inaction."

Basically, perfection will solve nothing and will only complicate matters.

It's a nice quote, but it's not like it means anything in the case of Shenmue III.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:26 pm

Himuro wrote:
Peter wrote:

10 months?

It's because of that, I am starting to wonder if this was even a YSNET call...
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Blatently stolen from GAF, and zero fucks given.

Sums up my inner fanboy right now, but have to remain level headed.

***this is a comedy post. Light-hearted. to be taken humoursly. Before people think i want someone to die***

Peter has received 4 thanks from: GYO6161, Himuro, Spaghetti, Yokosuka
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:38 pm

You guys are seriously overreacting, but I still think their PR people and whoever is running their online presence really suck. .the lack of info about the PC version is terrible, particularly because many pledged on a supposed PC version. The PC thing is their biggest transgression so far, IMHO. It's not showing much transparency to possibly half their backers.

Personally, I think it's time to stop begging Cedric for scraps. He hasn't proven to have much useful information on the game, and I doubt he's going to share anything substantial before Yu suzuki or Sony does.
Last edited by mjq jazz bar on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Monkei
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Xandui » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:40 pm

The delusional optimist in me thinks maybe they're opting for the bombshell reintro at e3 including shenmue HD announcement vs undercutting that moment with a small amount of coverage here. For the folks suggesting all sony cares about with Shenmue was using it for the publicity + specter it gave their keynote in 2015, i can only hope the same motivation causes them to pursue a repeat performance at e3 2017 since Shenmue has at least proven useful as a tool in the "Who won e3?" narrative
Xandui
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:42 pm

Yokosuka's comments about Yu using the "Agile" methodology might be pertinent. We see games very early on because the "Waterfall" development style in games often leads to a highly polished "vertical slice" of early gameplay being created that aims to look and feel as close to the finished product as possible, even if the rest of the game is relatively incomplete.

God of War's showing this E3 was a vertical slice, for example. They didn't show at PSX because taking time out for another vertical slice takes months out of development of the game as a whole.

Many individual components of Shenmue III may be in an advanced state of development, but not necessarily combined in a game-ish way, or polished enough for a big showing.

But honestly, none of this is going to matter when they do show it for real.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Xandui » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:48 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Yokosuka's comments about Yu using the "Agile" methodology might be pertinent. We see games very early on because the "Waterfall" development style in games often leads to a highly polished "vertical slice" of early gameplay being created that aims to look and feel as close to the finished product as possible, even if the rest of the game is relatively incomplete.

God of War's showing this E3 was a vertical slice, for example. They didn't show at PSX because taking time out for another vertical slice takes months out of development of the game as a whole.

Many individual components of Shenmue III may be in an advanced state of development, but not necessarily combined in a game-ish way, or polished enough for a big showing.

But honestly, none of this is going to matter when they do show it for real.

As someone who works in software and follows agile in our development process, i can confirm that projects are usually pretty rough until quite late in the process because you're often working iteratively on multiple parts of a feature/app/game/site at the same time vs finishing one feature completely and moving on to the next. This compounded with the fact that we're talking about a project 1 year into development means it isn't crazy that we haven't seen much from the team.

I also think it's super cool that they're using agile, it makes me optimistic because agile helps teams constantly reevaluate their progress and identify risks much earlier than waterfall development does.

I certainly am curious about this aborted e3 trailer folks mentioned and wonder whether something similar happened here given Cedric's tweet teases.
Last edited by Xandui on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xandui has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti, Yokosuka
Xandui
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III