Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Amir » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm pretty sure they'll release a trailer before the game comes out.

Amir has received a thanks from: Monkei
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:53 pm

Xandui wrote:As someone who works in software and follows agile in our development process, i can confirm that projects are usually pretty rough until quite late in the process because you're often working iteratively on multiple parts of a feature/app/game/site at the same time vs finishing one feature completely and moving on to the next. This compounded with the fact that we're talking about a project 1 year into development means it isn't crazy that we haven't seen much from the team.

I also think it's super cool that they're using agile, it makes me optimistic because agile helps teams constantly reevaluate their progress and identify risks much earlier than waterfall development does.
I certainly am curious about this aborted e3 trailer folks and mentioned and wonder whether something similar happened here given Cedric's tweet teases.

That helps give us a bit more context behind possibly why nothing was shown. Thanks!
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Peter wrote: Image

Blatently stolen from GAF, and zero fucks given.

Sums up my inner fanboy right now, but have to remain level headed.

***this is a comedy post. Light-hearted. to be taken humoursly. Before people think i want someone to die***

Love that tweet as well:

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: celsowm, Esppiral, FlagshipFighter
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:11 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if they want to instead tie it together with Shenmue HD's reveal? (That they may have been told by Sony or SEGA themselves is now in the works?) Would be the best way to promote both in one fell swoop, I think. Might explain the no shows?

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, Monkei
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby darksniper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:15 pm

The only thing to be optimistic about is that Sega has been outwardly showing more recognition to Shenmue so you might be on to something. I think a properly Sega packaged Shenmue is important to the marketing of the game.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:27 pm

WTF.

Not even a simple teaser trailer showing off some environments and a Ryo model.
Actually…fuck that…not even a PC reward tier for the Slacker Backer campaign.

It’s hard not to be disappointed.

I sincerely hope they just delay the game for an extra year, especially if there’s so much stuff happening behind the scenes we’re not privy to.

punkmanced has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Himuro
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:30 pm

punkmanced wrote:
iyapol wrote: Seeing as we're all aboard the hype train, how funny would it be if Shenmue III was a no show at PEX? : )

Well, it would be a little funny. And then I would probably start cursing out Awesome Japan to make me feel better.

(It’s always their fault… even when it isn’t)

:rotflmao:
Iyapol definitely called this one.

...Those motherf*ckers at Awesome Japan! ;)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:41 pm

I think it's just the nature of developing an indie game that was announced before development had begun. We shouldn't expect Shenmue III to be on the same level as AAA games today the way the original two were, and I think the way it's marketed (at least at this stage) will reflect that too. Maybe Cedric thought that something could've been cobbled together to appease those of us banging our hands on the table and saying "Now, now, now, now!", and perhaps an earnest attempt was made, before it fell through.

Most games aren't announced until they are well into the production process, and so they can maintain a relatively steady stream of marketing and promotion with the game looking close to the way it will at release (or worse at release!), whereas Shenmue III was announced before development had begun. I believe the game will almost certainly be delayed into 2018 or 2019, and that's fine with me. There'll be plenty of time to market the game the closer it gets to release, but I reckon it's still in the early stages of production, way before anything trailer-appropriate has been achieved.

Hadoken Hazuki has received a thanks from: Monkei
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Hate to say it guys but I'm honestly not that disappointed. I hoped that we would get the Shenmue info we were wanting with a bonus Shenmue HD Collection announcement but I assumed that we would get nothing. I went with hope over sense initially but am used to not getting Shenmue news... thus... I'm ok with the PSX event as is.

I didn't get my top three wanted things but I did get some great game information. Unlike others here, I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan (regardless that they totally messed up Uncharted 4's multiplayer by delaying co-op nearly a year). Starting off with the Uncharted 4 story DLC (Lost Legacy) got me hyped. I checked ND's website and apparently it's a very large story DLC that is so big that it will be released on disc by itself. Think Infamous First Light to Second Son as an example. Then having the conference end with The Last of Us Part 2 was great. Glad to see Ellie and Joel make a return as I really enjoyed their dynamic. Now the question remains... who is Ellie trying to kill?

Then there were other games shown such as Ace Combat 7, Wipeout, Crash trilogy and a few others that at the very least, looked interesting. A shame that Shenmue wasn't shown, but it was a really good show.

Telekill has received a thanks from: Monkei
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm

I, for one, am seriously upset. I waited many years and invested, as many others, a fair amount of money to see this game become reality.

We deserve better. Looking at this debacle, I am reminded of the Kickstarters who failed, such as Mighty No. 9.

This was a game that was much maligned, but at least was shown off to the public to generate interest. This is now the two biggest stages in gaming that Shenmue III has been a no-show.

10 months? We've barely seen *anything*. Passive can footage and environments with placeholder models still present. The 10k backers saw something that was, while good, still months old.

This is a game that has generated nearly $7,000,000 so far. Something *must* be shown. You mean to tell me they'll wait until E3 2017, 6 months before release to show *anything* on this game and a delay is not gonna happen? I have my doubts.

I hope Awesome Japan and Cedric are getting roasted right now and we, as financially involved consumers in this project, *deserve* to be shown something in the Christmas update. And it better not be something like "Yu's Favorite Wine and Cheese with Shenmue", which is about as frilly as the current updates we've gotten these past months.

Valascaziel has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, iyapol
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby celsowm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: I'm beginning to wonder if they want to instead tie it together with Shenmue HD's reveal? (That they may have been told by Sony or SEGA themselves is now in the works?) Would be the best way to promote both in one fell swoop, I think. Might explain the no shows?

Well, this make sense...
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Valascaziel wrote: I, for one, am seriously upset. I waited many years and invested, as many others, a fair amount of money to see this game become reality.

We deserve better. Looking at this debacle, I am reminded of the Kickstarters who failed, such as Mighty No. 9.

This was a game that was much maligned, but at least was shown off to the public to generate interest. This is now the two biggest stages in gaming that Shenmue III has been a no-show.

10 months? We've barely seen *anything*. Passive can footage and environments with placeholder models still present. The 10k backers saw something that was, while good, still months old.

This is a game that has generated nearly $7,000,000 so far. Something *must* be shown. You mean to tell me they'll wait until E3 2017, 6 months before release to show *anything* on this game and a delay is not gonna happen? I have my doubts.

I hope Awesome Japan and Cedric are getting roasted right now and we, as financially involved consumers in this project, *deserve* to be shown something in the Christmas update. And it better not be something like "Yu's Favorite Wine and Cheese with Shenmue", which is about as frilly as the current updates we've gotten these past months.
yeah, the updates are crap. I thought there were going to be feedback polls. Q&As, etc. But I think the way the Kickstarter was run should've been enough warning not to get my hopes up.

T
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby celsowm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:16 pm

One guy have written that in a board at PSX:

https://twitter.com/ScottYeah/status/805168407377166336

I think will be the only metion to Shenmue there :(

celsowm has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:19 pm

Everything happens for a reason. They obviously want to show it off eventually. Now just isn't the time. Relax. Plenty of high profile games these days get announced, shown off and released in the same year. If they still want to hit end of 2017 its all still perfectly reasonable to give them time. And if its pushed to 2018 id have zero problems with that. More time always means for a better game. Chill.

Axm has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:38 pm

All they had to do was make a teaser showing environments. If the locations are as far along as Peter and LanDC say all they had to do was make a one minute trailer of the environments like the Monaco vid of Shenhua's house. Show the Chinese countryside, show the wind blowing in the Shenmue tree, show Bailu village, and details of the interior buildings, show one of the big buildings of Baisha and don't show a single character, all while beautiful music is playing. Until the end when the camera pans and we see Ryo and Shenhua. Fade out. Shenmue III, coming 2017.

That's all they had to do and we already know they have the capability of doing this when every video so far is literally something like this.

There really is no excuse for showing jack shit for well over a year and I do not blame a single person for rescinding their pledge.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: BlackHeaven, iyapol
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III