Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:31 pm

b_ren wrote:Has anyone noticed that you can't donate to the Shenmue Paypal anymore?

Is this true? If so, they just lost a ton of money not to mention broke ANOTHER promise to PC backers.

This isn't good at all.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby jcjimher » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Himuro wrote: Disagree that it's not enough to show. Yakuza trailers were nothing but a bunch of cutscenes and then YAKUZA IS COMING, IN THE SAME CITY, WITH THE SAME MAIN CHARACTER, WITH THE SAME SHIT YOUVE ALWAYS DONE IN A YAKUZA GAME THE PAST TEN YEARSSssszzzz with like one or two battle shots of Kiryu doing a heat attack.

I would have been really worried if Shenmue III had been shown today with the same low profile as the Yakuza translations have been introduced. After the 14 year wait and the Kickstarter and such, Shenmue should be treated with much more importance whenever and wherever it's shown...

And despite all of that, those Yakuza trailers you mention have final characters, voice acting, final cutscenes, etc. Much more than a hypothetical Shenmue video wih only environmental pans and music...

And I reiterate I agree with you such a trailer should exist by now, but not be the major reveal of the game in a major keynote...(it would fit something like Monaco or a monthly update, for example).
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:32 pm

I used to give a fuck about Yakuza. I bought 1 and 2 at release and made the neogaf OT's for both. But Yakuza is the same shit every game. Same location, same protagonist with little justification keeping him. Zero overarching plot. How many times can people play Kazuma Kiryu punch someone in the face? That shit was fun ten years ago but now it's the same ol song and has been as far back as 3. Yakuza series is the definition of coasting on a name. It's worse about that than Assassin's fucking Creed. Yakuza'a lack of polularity in the west is deserved. At this point, this series is in perpetual "who gives a fuck" mode and still has not managed to top Yakuza 2.

About the tortoise and the hare, at this point it's the snail and the hare.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby b_ren » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Valascaziel wrote:
b_ren wrote:Has anyone noticed that you can't donate to the Shenmue Paypal anymore?

Is this true? If so, they just lost a ton of money not to mention broke ANOTHER promise to PC backers.

This isn't good at all.

Unless it's just me:

http://shenmue.link/?en

but clicking on the link on there doesn't take me anywhere...
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:44 pm

b_ren wrote:
Valascaziel wrote:

This isn't good at all.

Unless it's just me:

Wow.

Were they planning to publish an updated page while being in sync with the trailer before it was cancelled at the last minute?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby iyapol » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:46 pm

punkmanced wrote:
punkmanced wrote:
iyapol wrote: Seeing as we're all aboard the hype train, how funny would it be if Shenmue III was a no show at PEX? : )

Well, it would be a little funny. And then I would probably start cursing out Awesome Japan to make me feel better.

(It’s always their fault… even when it isn’t)

:rotflmao:
Iyapol definitely called this one.

...Those motherf*ckers at Awesome Japan! ;)

The PSX no-show is hardly surprising, is it? Seriously - what did people expect on the back of the KS 'updates'? I've been openly critical of the 'updates' for months - and have upset a few Dojo members along the way - but it finally seems that others are waking up and smelling the coffee.

All we ask is for someone - anyone - connected with Shenmue III to provide us with an update on the game's development. As backers who have departed with their hard earned money - including those that have spent thousands of dollars/pounds/euros - are regular updates on how Yu and his team are progressing really too much to ask for?

Having said all this, Yu is unconventional and there's still plenty of time left at PSX for everyone to eat their words. Mystery panel, anyone? Probably not, but we shall wait and see.
Last edited by iyapol on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby iyapol » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 pm

b_ren wrote:
Valascaziel wrote:

This isn't good at all.

Unless it's just me:

The link to the Slacker Backer seems to be broken. Just refreshes to the home page and that hideous logo.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:08 pm

if the anaemic monthly updates weren't worrying enough (especially with the PSX no show) has no-one noticed all the kick starter updates seem to have been created in bulk back in august to then be drip fed out across the rest of the year? That isn't progress updates. we havn't actually see anything "live" from their offices since August?

..and now they are no longer taking donations? this does seem very troubling

just tweeted Cedric:

https://twitter.com/RiGoRmOrTiS_UK/stat ... 8169474049

hopefully we will get some kind of response.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ChiefNeo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:19 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
There was this promise in the beginning that backers would have an unprecedented level of involvement with the development of the game, and they've done such a lousy job fulfilling it.

Thank God for that. I was never too keen on that idea. I don't want backers interfering on the game's development. I'm not paying to have a game made by us, but by Yu Suzuki and his team.

Personally, as a backer myself (who spent almost €200 on this project), the only thing I think Yu and co. owe me is a great game which lives up to the Shenmue name. In fact, I quite dislike something that is very common in the videogame industry and that is the fact that games are announced way before their release dates. I understand that they need to hype them, for marketing reasons, but, as a gamer, I just want the game and I want it to be good, not to spend 2 or 3 years getting screenshots and videos. Obviously, since this was a Kickstarter project, it had to be announced at a very early stage, so, as someone else mentioned already, it is only natural that it seems to be taking longer than usual for them to come up with something substantial to shoe to the public. Fine by me. After all, I'm a Shenmue fan. I know how to be patient. And I assume everyone else here knows too (or should know). And I'm fine with these Kickstarter "non-updates" we've been having too. Just let them focus on making the game. All I'm interested in is the final product.

And if this means that, when they finally do show some video which is more representative of what the actual game will look like, they're going to show us a proper trailer, with gameplay, cutscenes bits, different characters and whatnot, then great.
Because fuck teasers videos! They just... well, tease. Either show us something proper, or nothing at all. So I'd rather have nothing now and later have a proper trailer which will blow me away and give me an actual idea of what the game will be like, than having a teaser that shows nothing and just teases.

Anyway, this game won't come out for a very long time (we'll be lucky if we get it in 2018), so there's plenty of time to hype it and market it. No need to worry (yet) about the possibility of development being a mess which will result in a shitty game. It simply wasn't shown at PSX. Big deal. No one said it would.

Here here. That's my thoughts exactly. We will get a game eventually. Quit your whining. All this "woe is me, how dare they." 2 years ago I'd have given my left nut to have this game in production. Now it is. And no, I don't want backers telling yu what to do. I don't even want your names and likeness in the game. I want shenmue 3 not a Kickstarter project.

ChiefNeo has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, O Rei do Frango Assado
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby iyapol » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:21 pm

RiGoRmOrTiS wrote: if the anaemic monthly updates weren't worrying enough (especially with the PSX no show) has no-one noticed all the kick starter updates seem to have been created in bulk back in august to then be drip fed out across the rest of the year? That isn't progress updates. we havn't actually see anything "live" from their offices since August?

..and now they are no longer taking donations? this does seem very troubling

just tweeted Cedric:

https://twitter.com/RiGoRmOrTiS_UK/stat ... 8169474049

hopefully we will get some kind of response.

Oooh. I love a good conspiracy theory! So, what are you implying? The project came to a halt in August? Surely not. Wouldn't Cedric have known and, if so, why would he troll the fans with his December 2017 time machine tweet?

And while we're at it, did the real Paul McCartney die in a car crash?
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:23 pm

ChiefNeo wrote:
There was this promise in the beginning that backers would have an unprecedented level of involvement with the development of the game, and they've done such a lousy job fulfilling it.

Thank God for that. I was never too keen on that idea. I don't want backers interfering on the game's development. I'm not paying to have a game made by us, but by Yu Suzuki and his team.

Personally, as a backer myself (who spent almost €200 on this project), the only thing I think Yu and co. owe me is a great game which lives up to the Shenmue name. In fact, I quite dislike something that is very common in the videogame industry and that is the fact that games are announced way before their release dates. I understand that they need to hype them, for marketing reasons, but, as a gamer, I just want the game and I want it to be good, not to spend 2 or 3 years getting screenshots and videos. Obviously, since this was a Kickstarter project, it had to be announced at a very early stage, so, as someone else mentioned already, it is only natural that it seems to be taking longer than usual for them to come up with something substantial to shoe to the public. Fine by me. After all, I'm a Shenmue fan. I know how to be patient. And I assume everyone else here knows too (or should know). And I'm fine with these Kickstarter "non-updates" we've been having too. Just let them focus on making the game. All I'm interested in is the final product.

And if this means that, when they finally do show some video which is more representative of what the actual game will look like, they're going to show us a proper trailer, with gameplay, cutscenes bits, different characters and whatnot, then great.
Because fuck teasers videos! They just... well, tease. Either show us something proper, or nothing at all. So I'd rather have nothing now and later have a proper trailer which will blow me away and give me an actual idea of what the game will be like, than having a teaser that shows nothing and just teases.

Anyway, this game won't come out for a very long time (we'll be lucky if we get it in 2018), so there's plenty of time to hype it and market it. No need to worry (yet) about the possibility of development being a mess which will result in a shitty game. It simply wasn't shown at PSX. Big deal. No one said it would.

Here here. That's my thoughts exactly. We will get a game eventually. Quit your whining. All this "woe is me, how dare they." 2 years ago I'd have given my left nut to have this game in production. Now it is. And no, I don't want backers telling yu what to do. I don't even want your names and likeness in the game. I want shenmue 3 not a Kickstarter project.

Yes, let's keep it absolutely positive. It's worked out so well this far! There's zero reason at all to critique! Let's just fanthing it up!

Himuro has received a thanks from: BlackHeaven
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:24 pm

iyapol wrote:
Oooh. I love a good conspiracy theory! So, what are you implying? The project came to a halt in August? Surely not. Wouldn't Cedric have known and, if so, why would he troll the fans with his December 2017 time machine tweet?

And while we're at it, did the real Paul McCartney die in a car crash?

I wouldn't go that far, I just don't think we are actually getting progress updates. we are just getting a bunch of kinda worthless monthly videos that could have been easily done 12 months ago and we wouldn't know the difference. Nothing they have shown in the monthly "updates" has shown something new and they accidentally left one of the "loading" screens in the last update which read August 22nd. which to me implies when they were encoding this months video they forgot to change the dates on something they recorded half a year ago.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:36 pm

There was nothing official to go off right? I understand it's disappointing but at least it's still happening. Pitch forks away everyone. I understand everyone has thoughts that have been building up as the months go by but just remember the game you have been waiting around 15 years for is going to be ours within a couple of years.
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Gavan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Really disappointing that nothing was shown at PSX after all the hype on this forum...

I agree with those who say they should be showing SOMETHING by now.
Gavan

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby ChiefNeo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:43 pm

Himuro wrote:
ChiefNeo wrote:

Yes, let's keep it absolutely positive. It's worked out so well this far! There's zero reason at all to critique! Let's just fanthing it up!

It's not about blind positivism but about understanding that this game is a massive undertaking. I never wanted to "help develope it" and be super involved. I gave Yu money to make the game. He is. He can't show much at this point it seems. What do you get out of your stress and anger? Do you want him to apologize and show you assets? The guy knows what fans expect. He has passion for it and is doing all he can. All he owes you is a game. As far as we know , he is working on it. Stop acting like a teenager. Praising the man a week ago and now crying and complaining. Temper yourself.
ChiefNeo

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III