Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Peter » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Registration has been open for a few days now via last year's link, but now we have (leaked) confirmation of this year's PSX event.

So is everyone excited? Do you think will we see Shenmue at the event? What do you think will happen?? :D]

Peter has received a thanks from: Snoopbob2006
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:29 pm

Cautiously optimistic! I think if we get anything, it'll be Shenmue III related.

Cedric's comments about December specifically are interesting, but of course, it could very well be nothing.

It's hard to judge how ready the game is for a showing like PSX, but I'd imagine you know more than any of us about what's coming, Peter!

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Blu
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr357 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Maybe in this/next month's update they'll address the event. If not, then I won't get my hopes up.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sappharad » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:00 pm

I'm fairly convinced we'll see something about Shenmue at PSX this year. I've had the idea in my head since we found out back in June that the US kickstarter backer dinner was moved from during E3 to December. We know Yu Suzuki will be in the US during December, and PSX is being held near where he'll be.

Even if Shenmue isn't at PSX, there are other games that interest me that will be. PSX happens right after Final Fantasy XV comes out, so they'll probably show more of the FF7 remake that hasn't been talked about since last year. They've also announced a new Yakuza game localization at the past 2 PSX events, so maybe we'll get an announcement of 6. Although even if we don't, it'll still be a chance to try a demo of it in person.

I am seriously considering buying a ticket and flying down there for PSX, although I need to get over being nervous about traveling over 1,000 miles alone. (Even though I've done it a few times before, it wasn't for something like this.)

Edit: Talked to a friend who travels alone a lot, he encouraged me to do it. So I bought a ticket, I'll be attending. I've watched the streams live the past 2 years and I think it would be cool to attend in person since I've never been to a video game convention before.

Mr357 wrote: Maybe in this/next month's update they'll address the event. If not, then I won't get my hopes up.

No, I don't think that's likely. It wouldn't be a surprise if they announced it ahead of time. Usually everything announced at PSX is a secret to everybody in advance.
Last edited by Sappharad on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:33 pm

Hrm.

Yu is in LA in December for the Kickstarter dinner.

Cedric told us not to expect any big updates before December.

PSX is being held in December in Anaheim, just outside LA.

There's definitely a pattern of sorts emerging. It could still all be coincidence, though.

I wonder if any of the LA dinner attendees have been given a specific date for it yet? That could be the real silver bullet we're looking for here. If the dinner is a week+ after PSX, then we can probably rule out a Shenmue III showing.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:03 pm

Doubt it's coincidence.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Monkei » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:56 am

I think there's a good possibility we'll see something Shenmue-related. Maybe a teaser for III, maybe an announcement for the remasters of I and II, maybe even both. Maybe nothing at all, but there's definitely a chance.

Other than Shenmue I&II HD I'd love some other cool announcements from SEGA. They teased reviving some stuff after all, so.. Skies of Arcadia (Legends) HD and Jet Set Radio Future HD please? And another Sonic & All-Stars Racing? Something like that?

I could also imagine a 'Yakuza Kiwami/Yakuza 6 coming west' announcement, unless they want to wait and see how Yakuza Zero fares commercially first.

And after his recent teasing on Instagram I'm also kinda hoping for Michel Ancel to show up and give us a taste of a non-Nintendo-exclusive ( [-o< ) Beyond Good & Evil 2. And an update on Wild.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hanzumon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:22 am

Still believe in a announcement from Sega about HD-Remakes of Shenmue I & II ...

I think that we will get a big "Shenmue III Trailer" on E3 next year ... \:D/
Hanzumon
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:41 am

I really wish I could be there to experience it, but the costs are just too high. It's working out to be more expensive than my Japan trip.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:04 am

I hope they will show something related to Shenmue III. Not only because they should be ready to show something by then but also because they kind of need to show something. This is my personal opinion, but we will not be half-way from the expected release window of Shenmue 3 (December 2017) anymore but one Year away from release. Not a single gameplay footage at this point would mean (again, for me) that the release date would be very hard to meet.

That said, I'm pretty optimistic since there are already a few signals pointing for some new material around December.
If nothing Shenmue III related is shown at PSX, then it will definitely be at Magic Monaco.

As for Shenmue HD... an announcement would just be too good to be true. I still kind of hope it will happen, but the more I think about it, the more it seems E3 announcement material.

Anyway, we'll see! Finger crossed!

Peter, your thoughts?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:44 am

MAGIC 2017 was already confirmed for something Shenmue related, I believe? At least, Yu Suzuki will be in attendance.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:50 am

Spaghetti wrote: MAGIC 2017 was already confirmed for something Shenmue related, I believe? At least, Yu Suzuki will be in attendance.

Cédric said something about that on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 1677045760
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:56 am

I would say to look forward to the event.

Spags I've been thinking about it a lot and people need to be careful about MAGIC 17. I haven't booked yet, and despite it being almost a lock that Suzuki-san will be there due to his relationship wit Shibuya Productions, they still haven't announced him as a guest, when he was the first to be announced for 2016. Of course Cedrics reply to Arnaud does seem to indicate he will be there, but we are also still waiting on a PC Paypal option almost a year later after a separate cryptic tweet.

Another reason I would be more inclined to believe he may not be there is because if what I think is going to happen before the year is out does indeed happen, then there's no way they could follow that up with something as equally as impressive a couple of months later at Monaco. Plus, we will be down to the last 10 months of production so it will be full steam ahead, and avoid 15 hour trips around the world.

I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Gavan, Kiske, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:12 am

Peter wrote: I would say to look forward to the event.

Spags I've been thinking about it a lot and people need to be careful about MAGIC 17. I haven't booked yet, and despite it being almost a lock that Suzuki-san will be there due to his relationship wit Shibuya Productions, they still haven't announced him as a guest, when he was the first to be announced for 2016. Of course Cedrics reply to Arnaud does seem to indicate he will be there, but we are also still waiting on a PC Paypal option almost a year later after a separate cryptic tweet.

Another reason I would be more inclined to believe he may not be there is because if what I think is going to happen before the year is out does indeed happen, then there's no way they could follow that up with something as equally as impressive a couple of months later at Monaco. Plus, we will be down to the last 10 months of production so it will be full steam ahead, and avoid 15 hour trips around the world.

I'm not going to sleep for at least a week because of this phrase, you know that? :-o

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Gavan, Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:34 am

Peter wrote:Spags I've been thinking about it a lot and people need to be careful about MAGIC 17. I haven't booked yet, and despite it being almost a lock that Suzuki-san will be there due to his relationship wit Shibuya Productions, they still haven't announced him as a guest, when he was the first to be announced for 2016. Of course Cedrics reply to Arnaud does seem to indicate he will be there, but we are also still waiting on a PC Paypal option almost a year later after a separate cryptic tweet.

Now that you mention it, Yu doesn't appear on MAGIC Monaco's 2017 guest list, despite being top of the pile in 2016's listings. Not that the incomplete guest list is any smoking gun, but you'd think given Yu and Cedric's working relationship they'd have a good enough idea of whether the production schedule will allow for the trip or not.

I think, even if Yu doesn't turn up, we'll probably get a batch of new screens. MAGIC still gets some exposure thanks to Shenmue III, Yu doesn't have to leave production for a few days; everybody wins.

Peter wrote:Another reason I would be more inclined to believe he may not be there is because if what I think is going to happen before the year is out does indeed happen, then there's no way they could follow that up with something as equally as impressive a couple of months later at Monaco. Plus, we will be down to the last 10 months of production so it will be full steam ahead, and avoid 15 hour trips around the world.

Now this is interesting. You're in a better position than any of us to know what's coming, so you're probably going to be right about this. I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve for Shenmue III.

I'm trying not to read into what you're saying too much (and you're probably locked up under an NDA, right?), but it's very encouraging that you're talking about the "last 10 months of production" in a very definite way. I guess they're a lot further along than any of us have seen?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III