Shenmue Dev Team Expanding - Leaflet Translation

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue Dev Team Expanding - Leaflet Translation

Postby Switch » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:39 am

Today (1st October) I want along to a single-day event in Yokohama for Unreal Engine put on by Epic Games, with the venue being Pacifico Yokohama, the same conference center where Yu Suzuki held the Shenmue Premiere so many years ago.

A number of talks on developing with Unreal were held through-out the day by companies such as Capcom and Square Enix, as well as exhibition booths and even a stall selling Unreal stickers and other merchandise.

But the main reason I was there was for to get my hands on this Shenmue leaflet:

Positions being advertised:

And I'm thinking this looks like a new image...? (Or is it recycled?)

I've put up a translation of the leaflet on my blog:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/1 ... aflet.html
Last edited by Switch on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Shenmue Dev Team Expanding - Leaflet Translation

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Character models still lookin shite I see.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Esppiral
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:31 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Character models still lookin shite I see.

They keep saying they have "new models" of Shenhua and Ryo, but they still show the old ones.

Unless the "new models" don't look that different from the old ones... I'm getting a bit worried now...
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:31 pm

They're using the original logo font. =P~

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: iyapol
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Verderame » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Well, they honestly need it.

I think we can all agree that the real, evident concern-worthy problem in this game's development until now has always been the visibly lack of expert modern UE4/3d modelers in the YSnet team.

I mean, they even showed some awsome looking locations, but still nothing actually above your average amature tech demo.

And they still haven't managed to show better character models than the DC Passport ones.
Verderame
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Sappharad » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:20 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:

They keep saying they have "new models" of Shenhua and Ryo, but they still show the old ones.

When/where did they say they had new models?

I do recall them saying the models would be improved, but I don't remember official confirmation that the new models are finished. If they did have new ones ready, they definitely wouldn't let them be unveiled via a flier that isn't intended for the general public to see as an "official" screenshot.

Oh, and I don't recall seeing the area in that image before so it's probably new?
Last edited by Sappharad on Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:21 pm

They just don't want to show the new models, these are from E3 announcement. They will show the new models when the time arrives like PSX o next 2017 E3. Doing this they will make a big impact on everybody.

About the lack of unreal 4 experts, Suzuki told in an interview they had difficulties finding sage experts but finally they hired them.

Don't worry so much! Yu is a genious.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Himuro » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Verderame wrote: Well, they honestly need it.

I think we can all agree that the real, evident concern-worthy problem in this game's development until now has always been the visibly lack of expert modern UE4/3d modelers in the YSnet team.

I mean, they even showed some awsome looking locations, but still nothing actually above your average amature tech demo.

And they still haven't managed to show better character models than the DC Passport ones.

They haven't posted anything since February and when we saw that footage it was cam footage. You're basing this off of year plus footage? Seems kind of premature.

Sappharad wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:

I do recall them saying the models would be improved, but I don't remember official confirmation that the new models are finished. If they did have new ones ready, they definitely wouldn't let them be unveiled via a flier that isn't intended for the general public to see as an "official" screenshot.

Oh, and I don't recall seeing the area in that image before so it's probably new?

They never said new models are finished. They said they were still working on the models and they probably won't even be done until the game releases.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:35 pm

Himuro wrote:They never said new models are finished. They said they were still working on the models and they probably won't even be done until the game releases.

We don't know which build this screenshot comes from either.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:40 pm

Sappharad wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:

They never said it was finished, but they do have improved versions of the models... I think one of the members here implied he saw the improved model when he went to the dinner with Suzuki... Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Point is, an allegedly improved version of this models exist and they haven't been using it in the latest promotional material.

Hopefully they are keeping it a secret to surprise us all when the game is properly revealed.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:58 pm

Come on, do you really think the UE4 charadesigners have made no progress so far? What kind of project do you expect, a Steam greenlight game?

Furthermore, Shenmue 3 is still in pre-production phase according the Switch's translation so do not expect significant content before a lot of months either.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:03 pm

Himuro wrote:They said they were still working on the models and they probably won't even be done until the game releases.

Don't forget about the backer demo that's due out in the first half of next year. They know it's going to be treated as a representation of the final game by the media and potential customers will also judge them by how videos and screenshots they see online of the demo look. (On that note, I REALLY hope they're smart like the Yooka-Laylee team and scrub the demo of any content not present in the demo. Mighty No 9 messed up with their demo by just locking things programmatically and people managed to hack it to see the rest of the game over 6 months before it was actually released.)

I'm going to prefix this by saying this is my personal opinion, but I think the models we want to see are probably finished already. They have a ton of NPC's that they need to create models for and Ryo and Shenhua were probably finished as soon as they finalized the direction that they're going with the artwork. Anything they change between the first real trailer, demo, and final will probably be minor tweaks. They need many of the environments and character models finished before they can start making the cut-scenes featuring them, because it would be more work later if they had to make more than just minor tweaks to the models. Basic stuff like motion capture is going to be mostly applicable between different characters, but for actual facial expressions they'll want closer to final models because two different people making the same face doesn't always have the same look. Something that looks good when one model does it might look better if they do it slightly differently for another.

Next year is probably when most of the mini-games will be implemented. That kind of thing scales well to multiple developers because they can have one developer focus on one mini-game and another work on a different one without worrying about making changes that would break something else. Right now they're probably working on the core game mechanics from a game engine standpoint.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:34 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Come on, do you really think the UE4 charadesigners have made no progress so far? What kind of project do you expect, a Steam greenlight game?

Furthermore, Shenmue 3 is still in pre-production phase according the Switch's translation so do not expect significant content before a lot of months either.

No no no, I'm not denying that they have made any progress. I'm sure they did.

I'm just worried at the back of my mind that the 'improved' models they have currently don't look THAT much different to the old ones we've seen, and that's perhaps why they are content with showing the old models because it's still kinda representative of what we'll get in the end.

I'm expecting (and hoping) to be pleasantly surprised with the improved models, especially since they've got the Shenhua 3D modeler from Shenmue 1 & 2... But doesn't mean I'm not slightly worried.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Master Mo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:52 pm

Thank god they are finally using the normal Shenmue III logo instead of the papyrus one again.

Honestly I would prefer them not to use any Shenhua model till they have the final one ready to show instead of using the one in the picture here. It looks beyond horrible and frankly worse then the one from the initial reveal footage.
Master Mo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:08 pm

The recruit page seems to have been updated since the last Thursday (September, 29th) on the YSnet website:

株式会社YsNetでは、現在スタッフの募集をしております。 ●募集職種 ①企画 ②レベルデザイナー ③プログラマー 急募 ④3DCGデザイナー(キャラクター、背景、モーション、エフェクト、UI) ⑤プロダクトマネージャー ⑥カットシーンアーティスト 急募 ⑦演出監督 ⑧一般事務・総務 ●求めるスキル ②③: UE3・4の経験者。 ④: Maya・MAX・XSI等の3Dツール経験者。 ⑤: 外注管理・海外の外注先管理の経験がある方歓迎。 ⑥: Maya・UE4等を使用したコンソール/遊技機/映像作品…等でのカットシーン製作経験者。 ⑦: ゲームや映画・アニメ等の演出シーンの監督経験者。 ⑧: 事務・総務経験者歓迎。Word・Excel等PCスキル必須。 ※未経験者の募集は行っておりません ●勤務地 都内 ●労働条件 雇用形態:応相談 給与:経験・能力を考慮の上、当社の規定により決定いたします。 勤務時間:10時~19時(⑧は9:30~18:30) 休日:週休2日制(土曜・日曜)、祝日、夏季休暇、年末年始休暇など ●応募資格 高卒以上、18歳~。 健康で明るく、責任感のある方。 外国籍の方は、日本語の読み書きなどビジネスコミュニケーションを行えることが必須となります。 ●応募方法 履歴書、職務経歴書(書式自由)をご用意頂き、[email protected] までメールを送信してください。 ④⑥⑦の職種を希望の方は作品があれば併せてご提出ください。 ※多数のご応募をいただいた場合には選考に時間がかかることがございます。 なお作品の返却はいたしませんのでご了承ください。 応募の秘密は厳守いたします。

google translation:
In Co. YsNet, we have a recruitment of the current staff. ● recruitment job ① planning ② level designer ③ programmer urgent employment ④3DCG designer (character, background, motion, effects, UI) ⑤ product manager ⑥ cut scene artists urgent employment ⑦ production director ⑧ general office Affairs ● seek skills ②③: of UE3 · 4 experience person. ④: Maya · MAX · 3D tool experienced person such as XSI. ⑤: welcome there is a subcontract management and overseas subcontractors management experience. ⑥: cut scene production experience in using the Maya · UE4 such as console / game machine / video works ... etc. ⑦: Director experience of directing a scene, such as games and movies and animation. ⑧: administrative and general affairs experience welcome. Word · Excel such as a PC skills required. ※ recruitment of inexperienced person is not done ● work location in Tokyo ● working conditions employment: Negotiable Salary: in consideration of the experience and ability, will be determined by the Company of the provisions. Working hours: 10:00 ~ 19 (⑧ is 9:30 to 18:30) Holidays: five-day work week (Saturday and Sunday), public holidays, summer vacation, year-end and New Year holidays, etc. ● Qualifications High school graduate or more, 18 years old -. Bright, healthy, those who are responsible. If a foreign national is, it can be performed the business communication, such as read and write Japanese is required. ● How to apply resume, We will prepare your resume (free format), please send an email to saiyo @ ysnet-inc.jp. Occupations towards the hope of ④⑥⑦ Please submit together if there is work. ※ If we receive a large number of your application there can be a time-consuming selection. In addition, please understand that it does not do is return of the work. Application of the secret will be strictly observed.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Switch
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III