Which version of Shenmue 3 would you rather have?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Which Shenmue 3 would you rather have? (Total votes: 33)

Shenmue 3 on Dreamcast as it was originally intended to be released
70%
Shenmue 3 on PS4 developed by YsNet
30%

Re: Which version of Shenmue 3 would you rather have?

Postby Monkei » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:20 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I dunno man, the changes to the combat system and Suzuki saying he wants to make it simpler and more cinematic makes me feel uneasy. The VF-based system was perfect in 1 & 2, it just needed a better camera... I hope it won't end up something like Arkham/Assassin's creed, that would be terrible.

I'd like something like Assassin's Creed actually. Not something like Arkham, Batman's flipping around in these games looks a little retarded to me, when you're pressing the punch button and he flies across the whole room because the next punchable dude is standing way too far from him. But AC would be cool, waiting for your chance to counter and so on. Can't really agree on the fighting system of Shenmue I and II being perfect, I'd even say it's far from that..
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Monkei wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:I dunno man, the changes to the combat system and Suzuki saying he wants to make it simpler and more cinematic makes me feel uneasy. The VF-based system was perfect in 1 & 2, it just needed a better camera... I hope it won't end up something like Arkham/Assassin's creed, that would be terrible.

I'd like something like Assassin's Creed actually. Not something like Arkham, Batman's flipping around in these games looks a little retarded to me, when you're pressing the punch button and he flies across the whole room because the next punchable dude is standing way too far from him. But AC would be cool, waiting for your chance to counter and so on. Can't really agree on the fighting system of Shenmue I and II being perfect, I'd even say it's far from that..

What's your peeve with the old fighting system? I honestly cannot think of any faults... It's weighty and satisfying, with considerable depth.

Honestly pulling counters in that fighting system has been way more satisfying than any counter in Ass. Creed.
Just pressing the attack button and Ryo does context sensitive moves isn't engaging to me... Sure it looks cool, but it stops being fun after the third fight.

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:17 pm

We should remember the old combat system both acted sort of like a prototype of the Batman combat (the counter is even mapped to the same button), and that there were also easy "auto-combos" by just mashing A and X. If we're talking context sensitive moves too, a wide array of the throw moves were context sensitive depending on your position relative to the enemy too.

By and large, what Yu has said about the combat doesn't really seem to go against the mentality that lead to the old combat system. We read stuff like "making it more cinematic" and "easier controls" to be a bad thing, but for the moment fears are really kind of unfounded when you consider Shenmue's combat was meant to be easier and more cinematic compared to Virtua Fighter.

III's combat will be a step further away from VF roots but I don't see why that's a bad thing when we can see new directions for combat opportunities opening up, like the Higher Ground System applications we've heard about.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:20 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: There's a real nice vindicated feeling that we're getting Shenmue III after all this time that I'm sure we'd never get if III came out on Dreamcast.

I think what's also exciting is that the III we're getting now will likely be comprised of the same general concepts that would have been in a Dreamcast III, but will be executed now with modern technology that may help realise the bigger ideas better.

I dunno man, the changes to the combat system and Suzuki saying he wants to make it simpler and more cinematic makes me feel uneasy. The VF-based system was perfect in 1 & 2, it just needed a better camera... I hope it won't end up something like Arkham/Assassin's creed, that would be terrible.

On topic, I can't say for sure before we see Shenmue 3 proper... Because all we had so far are early environment shots.

I feel the same about this. I absolutely hate the Assassin's Creed combat system.

The only advantage I see is a combat system well adapted for Chinese martial arts while Virtua Fighter 2 was a system based on pretty mixed martial arts.

However Yu Suzuki also wants to make the combat more realistic and authentic so there is probably a point behind this.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Yokosuka wrote:However Yu Suzuki also wants to make the combat more realistic and authentic so there is probably a point behind this.

It kind of all boils down to this.

In Yu we trust, I suppose.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrandyk » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:11 pm

We still don't know how the PS4 version will play out. The Dreamcast version was sure to have captured the essence of Shenmue given that production would have simply continued from Shenmue 2. PS4 version not so much. YS Net may well perfectly capture what he imagined so many years ago but also may have troubles translating that atmosphere - even regardless of a potentially limited budget.

If the PS4 version ends up being exactly what Shenmue 3 was supposed to be but with updated graphics then I have no reason to think I'd prefer the Dreamcast version (unless we are revising history and playing Shenmue 6 at this point).
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby khmlight3 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:14 pm

I don't have a Dreamcast so I would say PS4! But both would be awesome!
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Previous

Return to Shenmue III