Which version of Shenmue 3 would you rather have?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Which Shenmue 3 would you rather have? (Total votes: 33)

Shenmue 3 on Dreamcast as it was originally intended to be released
70%
Shenmue 3 on PS4 developed by YsNet
30%

Which version of Shenmue 3 would you rather have?

Postby SMDzero » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:10 am

Would you rather have the Shenmue 3 that we would have gotten on Dreamcast had the DC been a success or would you rather have the PS4 indie Shenmue 3?

Which version of Shenmue 3 would be better?

On one hand, Shenmue 3 on Dreamcast would be the game as it was originally supposed to be but the PS4 game being developed now would have better graphics.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Which version of Shenmue 3 would you rather have?

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:49 am

Sometimes I've thought about this, I think If we would have had the Dreamcast version we would have played a more original version. The advantages now are that we'll have better graphics, better control and with the aid of we, the player, altogether can make a better Shenmue experience because Suzuki has learnt what we prefer and what not.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Monkei » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:35 am

Well, back then I'd have taken the originally planned version on Dreamcast or Xbox over a 15 year wait, obviously. But today? I wouldn't wanna miss out on the joy of all of what we're experiencing right now. Watching the livestream of the Shenmue III Kickstarter being announced at E3 and everything that has happened since then and hopefully is going to happen. Think of some favourite movies or games or experiences in general, and how we sometimes envy others who can still experience them for the first time, wishing we could be in that position again, too. With Shenmue III we are, we still have that magical first time ahead of us and can enjoy to see it coming our way. Plus: Those graphics. Plus: I doubt that anything about my or anyone else's life would have been different in a significantly positive way if we'd have gotten to play a Shenmue III back in 2003 or 2004, so eh. Back then I was disappointed by them not making a sequel, now it simply doesn't matter. Even better: Now they're making one. We paid that waiting time in advance and are now reaping the beautiful results of it - I'm fine, no, happy with the way things turned out to be.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:42 am

15 years ago, Dreamcast version of course.

Now? Whatever plateform is good enough for Shenmue 3. (PS4 since I don't own a PC)
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:43 am

Strangely enough, the lack of Shenmue III's had a massive impact on my life. Not in a "omg, I got like sooooo spiritual n deep n aware coz of this game" way, but in certain events transpiring as a direct result. In some respects, shit would've turned out for the better if it came out on the Dreamcast or Xbox or what the fuck ever, but I also wouldn't be the person I am today. I'd probably be equally as awesome, but things defo woulda been different.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: redline
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby redline » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:49 am

How cool would it be if the Shenmue series continued on the dreamcast (starting 2017) so just us hardcore fans could enjoy it.

:lol: the price of dreamcasts would sky rocket.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:56 am

Misread thread, now I'm panda.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby PILMAN » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:52 am

I would have to say at the time, I would have preferred the game to be on Dreamcast. I was surprised Dreamcast was able to handle some of the rendering of guilin, it was temping to leave shenhuas house to go into bailu village.

Today, it wouldn't really make sense although would be quite amazing to see. I am glad to see a HD version of shenmue but I do think I grew used to the original feel of the game.

I am just happy it is being made.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Let's wait and see how everything turns out.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:41 pm

Well in a really perfect world we would've gotten Shenmue III in 2003 on 6 discs with a 32 Mb RAM module as the absolute pinnacle of Dreamcast games. And by now we would be waiting for late 2017 to bring us Sega's new console of the ninth generation and full fledged remakes of Shenmue I - VI in on epic box.

Now as we aren't exactly in a perfect world the PS4 way is the best way to go. Having the game on Dreamcast in 2017 would be awesome, but only for die hard fans. They could possibly give us more of the game there since it's much simpler to create characters and game world there. On the other side we could get less because the tools are not as highly developed like UE4.

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Gavan, Mr357, Rikitatsu
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:22 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Strangely enough, the lack of Shenmue III's had a massive impact on my life. Not in a "omg, I got like sooooo spiritual n deep n aware coz of this game" way, but in certain events transpiring as a direct result. In some respects, shit would've turned out for the better if it came out on the Dreamcast or Xbox or what the fuck ever, but I also wouldn't be the person I am today. I'd probably be equally as awesome, but things defo woulda been different.

This.

Also that Yu said there were far too many people working on Shenmue by the end of 2, plus I wouldn't have lived my life on here like a sad twat. Or had the opportunity to go to Japan in the scenario i did, meet Yu etc.

Plus the game itself.... Shenmue 3 by YSNET in Unreal hands down.

Peter has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:45 pm

There's a real nice vindicated feeling that we're getting Shenmue III after all this time that I'm sure we'd never get if III came out on Dreamcast.

I think what's also exciting is that the III we're getting now will likely be comprised of the same general concepts that would have been in a Dreamcast III, but will be executed now with modern technology that may help realise the bigger ideas better.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Spaghetti wrote: There's a real nice vindicated feeling that we're getting Shenmue III after all this time that I'm sure we'd never get if III came out on Dreamcast.

I think what's also exciting is that the III we're getting now will likely be comprised of the same general concepts that would have been in a Dreamcast III, but will be executed now with modern technology that may help realise the bigger ideas better.

I dunno man, the changes to the combat system and Suzuki saying he wants to make it simpler and more cinematic makes me feel uneasy. The VF-based system was perfect in 1 & 2, it just needed a better camera... I hope it won't end up something like Arkham/Assassin's creed, that would be terrible.

On topic, I can't say for sure before we see Shenmue 3 proper... Because all we had so far are early environment shots.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:13 pm

It's funny how Dreamcast is leading the poll while most of the replies seem to favor PlayStation 4. I wonder if there's confusion over whether the DC option means getting it back then (when it was contemporary) or getting it now (when it's outdated).
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:I dunno man, the changes to the combat system and Suzuki saying he wants to make it simpler and more cinematic makes me feel uneasy. The VF-based system was perfect in 1 & 2, it just needed a better camera... I hope it won't end up something like Arkham/Assassin's creed, that would be terrible.

On topic, I can't say for sure before we see Shenmue 3 proper... Because all we had so far are early environment shots.

I'd say to wait and see for how they implement the changes before we pass judgement. I like the old system a lot too, but I feel optimistic about a new type of fighting gameplay for the series going forwards.

If it makes the controls simpler so more elaborate moves can be pulled off easier, fine, but I still expect a level of depth to be there for players who want to discover it. Yu has also talked about strategic elements like using the environment, and divide and conquer tactics for larger amounts of enemies. Even if the base controls are easier, I can see a lot of complexity in those other features that will provide the depth.

Worst comes to worst, the fans give him feedback once we see a combat reveal.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III