The Main Menu

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Would you like the main menu from Shenmue 1 and 2 to return in Shenmue 3? (Total votes: 24)

Yes!
67%
No, I'd like something new.
33%

The Main Menu

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Shenmue 1 and 2 both had the same main menu design, and the same music track. Would you like that main menu to return in Shenmue 3?

I for one, would love to see it back.

#SlowNewsDay
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: The Main Menu

Postby Himuro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Shenmue 1 and II don't have the same menu design at all. They have the same song but the same design? Quite a stretch.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, Rikitatsu
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:51 pm

Himuro wrote: Shenmue 1 and II don't have the same menu design at all. They have the same song but the same design? Quite a stretch.

...Shit, you're right. I forgot in Shenmue 1 you didn't scroll through the spheres horizontally like 2. Plus, the background is different.

Still, they're pretty similar. The motifs are same, the spheres, the dragon/phoenix illustration in the background... I would like if Shenmue 3 retained those things.

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: Himuro
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mrandyk » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:17 pm

I'd like to keep the 'bleep' sound you get when pressing start and selecting one of the menu prompts.

I also request that when starting up Shenmue 3 I get the VMU beep and Dreamcast start screen.

mrandyk has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Mr357
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:26 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Himuro wrote: Shenmue 1 and II don't have the same menu design at all. They have the same song but the same design? Quite a stretch.

...Shit, you're right. I forgot in Shenmue 1 you didn't scroll through the spheres horizontally like 2. Plus, the background is different.

Still, they're pretty similar. The motifs are same, the spheres, the dragon/phoenix illustration in the background... I would like if Shenmue 3 retained those things.

Right. I want a return of that. It's tradition and ties into the mirrors I think.

I agree with AndyK too. I want the same sounds. When scrolling through the menu I want the same sound. Same confirm sound and everything.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:52 pm

I'd like the sound design and general layout to be similar, but I'm open to something a little different.

I really want to hear an updated version of the menu music, above all.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Nankeiro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Something new. But, at the same time... familiar. It has to have that vibe!
Nankeiro
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:29 am

THIS should be the title screen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4MyNqI0fo
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:10 am

I'd like to see the main menu song make a return, but I'm all for a new menu design. Not that I have anything against the old ones - I'm just open to a new design.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:56 pm

I don't know for you but my favorite experience related with the main menu was right after the Shenmue II ending credits ended. Seeing the two mirrors merging into one sounded really different in my mind and was freshly thrilling as the cave scene changed my opinion about this animation and even my view on the Shenmue I main menu.
But I could say pretty the same blow-minding moment happened to me each time I finished Shenmue I.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:40 am

SMDzero wrote: THIS should be the title screen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4MyNqI0fo

No... definitely no. In fact, this is the kind of art I would hate to see in Shenmue III. And the music must be strong, intriguing, mystic!

This is suposed to be a triple A game man...
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:32 am

Shenmue and Shenmue II don't really have the same design. The music is of course the same and the concept is similar but Shenmue II took it further and changed the overal look quite a bit.

The most logical thing for Shenmue III would be to go even further with the evolution. Music stays the same yet again. Keep the round menu icons but have more of them and have them movearound more. A good background color this time would be some shades of green, to resemble the lush green forests of Guilin.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:38 am

I'd love for an evolution of Shenmue 2's menu. Would be nice to see a decked out Chinese themed menu relative to the story.

But what also about an interactive menu?

For instance, since I am assuming a lot of the game will be spent with Shenhua and others, what if the menu ws actually a cutscene where Shenhua would be like "Ryo ready to get going?" and loading a save is actually a cutscene of Ryo getting up and saying yep lets go. This would change dynamically with where in the game you are of course.

This wouldnt be budget friendly but would be a cool evolution nonetheless since a buddy system seems to be important to these chapters.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Peter » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:50 am

phpBB [video]

Threw this together since i am off work sick and bored. Thanks to my man LanDC for some help getting audio assets.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: Jibby, Kiske, Mr357, Switch
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jibby » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:30 pm

I've also made a mockup to show what I think the perfect Shenmue III title screen would look like. Ours are really similar Peter :-o
(but I guess there's only so much you can do with 30 seconds of direct feed :P )

phpBB [video]

Jibby has received 3 thanks from: Kiske, Mr357, Switch
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue III