The New Combat System

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: The New Combat System

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:26 am

So basically a cross between the Arkham games and the close-up segments in the recent MK games...?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Suzuki Yu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:45 pm

hey guys .. new member here ;)

regarding the topic i think when he said the battle system would be a blend of both QTE & FREE it might be something more like what we already experienced with the Yakuza games? maybe a little different in execution but similar.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote: hey guys .. new member here ;)

regarding the topic i think when he said the battle system would be a blend of both QTE & FREE it might be something more like what we already experienced with the Yakuza games? maybe a little different in execution but similar.

Good point, it might be something like the HEAT moves, if so it would be tolerable.

But I remember Tak Hirai saying the system will be new and revolutionary, and I don't think that applies to something similar to Yakuza's HEAT moves... Unless Hirai is like Suzuki. doesn't play new games.

Also, welcome!
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Serenade » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:34 am

It's going to be slower, that's good to know because Shenmue was more FREE compared to the 1 on 1 battles in Shenmue 2. This can allow for a more fluid and responsive system that allows easy input for difficult moves. Personally I want the combat to have spme difficulty though. Shenmue 1 and 2 were easy mode Especially 2, the fights were a breeze
Serenade
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:11 am

Something you omit to mention is the usage of ragdoll. Depends of how far YSnet are aiming to implement it but too much ambition could easily lead them to an underwhelming result since their goal is theoretical. The balance between control and realism is certainly challenging to reach and even decide.

Whatever, I doubt we get any glimpse of the combat system in the coming months. Too much work and experimentation ahead for a matter of this kind.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:41 pm

Ragdoll is pretty much in every game now, in fact, you could just enable it by checking a box in UE4. So I wondered why Suzuki was making a big deal out of it (to even have it as a stretch goal...).

I guess it might be advanced ragdolls like Rockstars games, but I wonder how that will benefit the combat exactly.
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of ragdolls... I like them when they're blended with regular animations. Like if you kick a guy in his abdomen, an animation plays where he falls on his knees grabbing his stomach, and then the ragdoll physics are activated and he falls down.

If it was applied like that, it would be great.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:53 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: Ragdoll is pretty much in every game now, in fact, you could just enable it by checking a box in UE4. So I wondered why Suzuki was making a big deal out of it (to even have it as a stretch goal...).

I guess it might be advanced ragdolls like Rockstars games, but I wonder how that will benefit the combat exactly.
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of ragdolls... I like them when they're blended with regular animations. Like if you kick a guy in his abdomen, an animation plays where he falls on his knees grabbing his stomach, and then the ragdoll physics are activated and he falls down.

If I remember correctly, Yu talked about the ragdoll and it's something similar as you have said. It´s an improved version of the ragdoll reaction.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: Rikitatsu
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Hazuki00 wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote: Ragdoll is pretty much in every game now, in fact, you could just enable it by checking a box in UE4. So I wondered why Suzuki was making a big deal out of it (to even have it as a stretch goal...).

If I remember correctly, Yu talked about the ragdoll and it's something similar as you have said. It´s an improved version of the ragdoll reaction.

Oh yeah, I just remembered he said that before. Pretty cool!
Just having regular ragdolls would've been terrible.

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: Hazuki00
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:32 pm

As far as I know, no game is using ragdoll correctly in their combat system. I mean with the precision of a standard VS fighting game. Tekken 7 doesn't seem to use it either.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 am

From Unreal Engine 4.14:

The new Virtual Bones system. Seems like something that can be applied to advanced ragdolls.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Previous

Return to Shenmue III